Duke 26-Jan-19
Duke 26-Jan-19
Buglmin 26-Jan-19
Huntaddict 13-Sep-20
butcherboy 14-Sep-20
Ccity65 14-Sep-20
greyrider 27-Feb-23
05-Oct-07
Has anyone here in Colorado ever heard of the guides Colt and Dirk Ross from Pagosa Springs? They used to guide in the eighties and early nineties I think. Anyway, I was just digging through some old movies and came across their movie "Ol' Sly". This is going to sound weird, but I was just seeing if anyone knows if either of the Ross brothers ever got the bull nicknamed Ol' Sly...because they never got him in the movie. In fact, they never even saw him in the whole movie.

05-Oct-07
I think they both died in a plane crash several years ago. Don't know anything about Ole Sly.

05-Oct-07
Dirk and Colt were both killed in a plane crash down here while scouting--about 15 years ago, if I recall. They have a couple of brothers who still live in Pagosa and their parents live in Bayfield. I would have to ask one of their brothers about "ole sly". I don't know the answer to that question. One of their brothers owns and operates Fawn Gulch Outfitters, along with his sons, here in Pagosa.

Mike

06-Oct-07
Wow...that's sad to hear. Dirk was somewhat of a hero to me as a child. I've probably seen that movie a hundred times as a kid. I turned it on the other day and could still quote every word and sing every song even though I haven't seen it in probably 10 years...haha. That would be great if you could look into Ol' Sly for me wapiti hunter. I remember they used to call Dirk's son, Talon, "the baby rat"...is he one of the guides now? He must be in his late twenties like me now. Thanks for the comments back, guys. I didn't think I'd get any.

06-Oct-07
A friend of mine, Ron Smith from Colorado did some scouting and work like that with them, and yes they were both killed in a plane crash.

06-Oct-07
Bo,

I'm friends with two of the Ross brothers who still live in Pagosa Springs. I think I may have a copy of "Ole Sly" and I'll have to watch it again if I can find it. I'm not sure where Dirk's children are. I will try to find out from his brothers and let you know about Dirk's son and "Ole Sly".

Mike

07-Oct-07
I HAVE ALL OF THERE MOVIES.OCTOBER OF 1995 WAS THE CRASH. I WAS BOOKED FOR A BOWHUNT WITH THEM THE YEAR OF THERE PASSING.THEY ARE STILL MISSED AND THEY WERE GREAT ELK HUNTER AND RAN A GREAT CAMP.

13-Oct-07
My brother-in-law was one of the last guys to hunt with them that fall before they were killed. I think it's great their buddies put the memorial to them at the trail head. I bought "Ol Sly" and a few other videos of their's for my b-in-law as a gift a number of years ago, in rememberance of his hunt with Colt.

16-Oct-07
I have 3 of their movies-VCR and really like them and still watch them every year.

It was real tough when I found out they died in the plane crash.

Good luck, Robb

10-Oct-15
WOW! I was just thinking of Dirk and Colt today. My family and I worked with them and Dirk and his wife and their kids during the summers in Vallecito at the Outlaw West Riding Stables. My dad and I were in a couple of their hunting videos and The Secrets of the Little Valley video as well. We ran the horse riding trips for them in the summers and my dad and I went with them on many hunting trips during the winter, including the one that inspired the bear video and King Kong Cougar. Oh that cougar meat was so delicious! We all were at their house one year when I had laryngitis having it for dinner. So many summers and wonderful memories.

I unfortunately remember when they died. I was off at my freshmen year in college and couldn't get back for the funeral. :( I haven't kept in touch over the years though, except a brief moment 4 years later when my dad died from Mesothelioma, at his funeral. It's been 20 years this year that they've been gone.

LOL! I'm just remembering once when we were all out on the giant wooden porch on the Outlaw West with some campers that came and joined us. We were having a good old fashioned country dance, two-stepping. I got tired and sat down in a chair and two damn chair legs busted out from beneath me and I went sprawling. Considering I was barely a 95 pound scrawny kid...

Oh and doing all the breakfast and dinner rides. Those were a blast. Getting up before the buttcrack of dawn even bothered showing itself to walk up the hill to the stables and corral to feed the horses in the early morning. Colt took me under his wing and taught me a lot of things. We lived in New Mexico the rest of the year on land with our appaloosas and brought them up with us every summer for many years.

My sister Heidi always trying to get Colt to notice her, even though she was just a teenager and he an adult having to ignore her advances while my sister Misty also tried to get him to notice her.

Sorry for rambling, this just brought back so many memories of the Ross family and our years spent with them in their home and at the Outlaw West or going into Durango with them to the Bar 'D Chuckwagon Dinner Show. Or the nights on the boat dancing and singing and eating on the Vallecito Lake. *sigh*

17-Jan-19
Howdy to all, Want you to know that I am a brother to Dirk and Colt Ross. I own and operate Fawn Gulch Outfitters vin Pagosa Springs, Colorado.

I guided, wrangled and packed for Dirk since he started Rocky Mountain Outfitters 1974 to 1995. Dirk and Colt use several of my horses and pack mules to help out.

To whom is interested: Ole Sly was never shot. But close.

Talon, Dirk's son whom was called the little Rat. Talon went on and joined the service and never got involved with the Outfitting after Dirk and Colt were killed in a plane wreck in October 10, 1995.

And yes I remember Secrets of the little Valley. I have all of Dirk and Colts video's and hunting books. I have a set of books in each of our camps for hunters to read.

Dirk and Colt were the real Hunter, Mountain Men, Family man, and Very respectfully and respected.

I probably know many of you that has sent messages.

Thanks so much for keeping the life and stories of Dirk and Colt alive.

Thanks for all, Duke

18-Jan-19
Knew Dirk real well, worked for him several years right before he was killed. I went to school with all the Rosses, know them very well. Dirk and Colt were two of a kind... The outfitting, Rocky Mountain Outfitters, was ran out of Ignacio.

The boys were killed in 1995, days before the first gun season. My sister called me with the news, she was one of the search and rescue that responded. We had four hunters in camo that year, and everyone chipped in to help out with Dirks clients, guiding, running errors and anything else that needed done. It was a sad day. Glad to see his nephew, Larame Miller, Last of the Breed, talk about Dirk and Colt a lot. They touched a lot of people's life's, and time spent chasin hogs with them in Texas was some of the fondest memories I have.

26-Jan-19

26-Jan-19
Howdy, Need to clear up some wrong info on the Hunting Permits after Dirk and Colt Ross were killed. Troy Ross did NOT get the hunting permits that Dirk and Colt Ross owners of Rocky Mountain Outfitters had. As far as I know is that some of the hunting permits were split up way up the Pine River. The East Creek Permits were never renewed to any one to my knowledge as of today. Yes I am sure Troy Ross would love to get the hunting permits for East Creek Area North east of Vallecito Lake. Also to let you know that Fawn Gulch Outfitters website is awesome. You need to look it over. So best to you all and let's have a memorable time and a great time hunting while Dirk And Colt Ross's Heritage and the life and love for the Outdoors and Wildlife that they both had. Talk about Hunters and as Outfitters the respect that had for the wildlife and the Forest and wilderness lands. As far as I am concerned they were legends in my book. True Mountain Men that had respect and were very respected from most. Enjoy your time in the woods. Best of luck on your hunts.

26-Jan-19
Howdy, Need to clear up some wrong info on the Hunting Permits after Dirk and Colt Ross were killed. Troy Ross did NOT get the hunting permits that Dirk and Colt Ross owners of Rocky Mountain Outfitters had. As far as I know is that some of the hunting permits were split up way up the Pine River. The East Creek Permits were never renewed to any one to my knowledge as of today. Yes I am sure Troy Ross would love to get the hunting permits for East Creek Area North east of Vallecito Lake. Also to let you know that Fawn Gulch Outfitters website is awesome. You need to look it over. So best to you all and let's have a memorable time and a great time hunting while Dirk And Colt Ross's Heritage and the life and love for the Outdoors and Wildlife that they both had. Talk about Hunters and as Outfitters the respect that had for the wildlife and the Forest and wilderness lands. As far as I am concerned they were legends in my book. True Mountain Men that had respect and were very respected from most. Enjoy your time in the woods. Best of luck on your hunts.

26-Jan-19
Sorry Troy, and yessir, your brothers were and still are legends, and your nephew is following in their steps. I'd forgotten you had bought Dave's outfit. Hope all is well with the family.

13-Sep-20
Dirk and Colt will always be Legends in the Bayfield Pagosa area. Laramy Miller aka Sasquatch. Keeps their memories alive.

My father was a brother to these two men. Helping the Ross Brothers try and track down ol sly. My father was supposed to fly with them that tragic morning but couldnt make the flight. For that i am greatful.

I literally thought of Colt as a second father. Spending time with him and his then wife jamie down on the pine river home they shared. I was not even a teen at the time.

My father and i have continued to hunt all around valicito in search of monster bulls but to be frank they just arent their anymone.

To much pressure from the ever expanding population of the Forest Lakes area.

Some success is had after packing miles and miles into the back country.

Anyway. I think it is awesome that Colt and Dirk are still talked about to this day.

14-Sep-20
Their nephew is a friend of mine that owns and operates JCR Tannery in Pagosa. That’s where I take all my customers capes and hides. He does a fantastic job and is extremely busy. Also helps his dad in the outfitting business. Great family!

14-Sep-20
Anyone remember these 2 tunes, I think Dirk was the singer but not sure... I still get them stuck in my head... Went to the doctor, the other day, I said "Doc, I feel I'm slippin' away. My mind's on the mountain and it won't come down. If you can't find a cure I'm high country bound. Buck Fever, Buck fever....

Mule train, mule train, pack em up boys we'll ride into camp.Might have to ride through the hail and the rain, we're going hunting on a mule train...

27-Feb-23
They made great movies that I still have. Got a pair of leggings they sold and alway wished I had got the saw. Do a lot of winter camping and remember the hotdog cold on one side burnt on the other. The parachute for a camp. They had great ideas. Still think about them when I’m camping and sitting around the fire in the winter.

• Sitka Gear