jdsteal 04-Sep-08
jdsteal 04-Sep-08
REX 04-Sep-08
jdsteal 02-Oct-08
Wild Bill 29-Mar-23
Wild Bill 28-Jan-24
OTC_Bowhunter 12-Feb-24
28-Aug-08
Just looking for a little insight on this area elk pop, hunter pressure, land layout, etc. This is my first elk hunt. I would love any tips or advice!

Thanks

28-Aug-08
I talked to the local game warden the other day and he said that IDF&G has sold a record number of tags for the Diamond Creek Zone this year - nearly 2,000 tags (which is 700 more than we had last year and over 400 more than the previous record of 1,534 in 2004). In my opinion, 1,000 tags in this zone is too crowded.

You'll have plenty of company. There's elk sure enough, but most of what I have seen in preseason scouting is on private land where nobody but me will be hunting.

My tips: 1. leave your calls at home - after opening weekend is done, they will only bring in other hunters. 2. Get away from the roads and concentrate on areas where you don't see other hunters going. 3. After the first week of the season, look for the elk to be either very low - on or near private ground where you can't hunt, or very high - in the roughest country the unit has to offer.

Good Luck

28-Aug-08
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it's going to be a lot different from hunting whitetail on my farm in MO. So listen and stock is the best thing.

28-Aug-08
Rex,

How is the Mule deer and bear hunting in the area?

28-Aug-08
There's bears around, but they are not that thick and I doubt you will see one during your elk hunt.

The mule deer population is OK and I generally see quite a few deer (does and smaller bucks). You are going to have to do some work to find a big buck though, so you have to decide if your priority is to kill an elk or a big buck.

03-Sep-08
Rex, I have been hunting in Idaho for the last 10 years in the same place by coyote canyon. Do you think this place will be over populated with hunters also.

04-Sep-08
KSBUCKHUNTER,

I haven't hunted that area, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more hunting pressure.

This weekend, I was very upset when we had guys on ATVs riding all over the mountain where we hunt (usually it is pretty rare to see other hunters, let alone ATVs). The land is BLM, but all access is private, so they had to tresspass to get there.

In all my years of bowhunting, I have never seen more hunting pressure than what I have seen this year so far. And elk numbers are way down.

04-Sep-08
Also wanted to know what average temp during 17th thru the 27th of Sept? Any other general things a flatlander needs to know? How much would it cost me for you to show me the ropes?

04-Sep-08
Rex, sounds like I need to hunt for muley's.

04-Sep-08
Justin,

You probably want to wait until you get out here before you make up your mind on that. You never know what your experience will be like. I don't know where you are planning on hunting or what techniques you plan to use, but you could manage to be in the right place at the right time and have more luck than you would ever had expected - or it could be a bust. I have met non-residents who have hunted for 10 days to 2 weeks and not seen a single elk and also know guys who killed a 350-inch bull their second or third day of hunting (in the same general area).

Concerning elk populations: If you talk to the Idaho Fish and Game, you get different answers as far as elk population goes. I was told by one guy that they want the numbers down to improve mule deer populations. Another guy told me that the elk are overpopulated based on the available winter forage at a feeding area hundreds of miles from here (most of our elk winter locally and don't migrate long distances). If you talk to anyone that hunts, they will tell you that the elk population is down and harvest records show that as well (total harvest numbers and sucess rates have steadily fallen for the past several years).

The weather has been pleasantly cool lately with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30s.

02-Oct-08
Rex,

My first Idaho Elk trip was great, besides the hot weather, a lot of hunters, and the low number of elk! We only had one great day of elk hunting. I do love Idaho country.

29-Mar-23
By the time bow hunting season for elk is done, most elk in unit 66A and 76 have been chased onto private land for protection. The smaller satellite bulls have followed the old cows onto private land while a few of the older bulls have moved up to the rough highlands where few hunters are willing to go. To fill your rifle tag, you will either need to snow hunt when the elk move down into the farm fields; hunt the private fence lines catching elk before they cross over to private land; or hike up high in rough country. Avoid the ATVs and hunting crowds at all cost, ... they will have chased everything out of a area.

28-Jan-24
Wild Bill has got it right for 66, 66A and 76. With the population boom in Idaho, hunting season resembles a "Black Friday" sale at the mall. Until the F&G gets more officers out in the field to ride herd on these ATVs, it'll be "anything goes" chaos. The only way Idaho is going to be able to accommodate increasing hunting crowds, and maintain some resemblance of a quality hunt, is to ban the use of all motorized vehicles off of established roads for game retrieval and coming and going from off road campsites. Now that more and more hunters are using game carts for game retrieval, this should be doable.

12-Feb-24
WOW! a 16 year old thread still going......

• Sitka Gear