Avenger 07-Dec-08
camoman73 07-Dec-08
BluegrassHammer 07-Dec-08
Naz 07-Dec-08
Avenger 07-Dec-08
Naz 07-Dec-08
camoman73 07-Dec-08
07-Dec-08
Am I crazy? Are the turkey zones all different? Is richland county now in zone 1 instead of zone 3? Ken

07-Dec-08
Yep there are only 7 zones in the state now. I don't have a map right in front of me but from memory Center is in zone 1.

07-Dec-08

Rancid_Crabtree's embedded Photo
Rancid_Crabtree's embedded Photo

07-Dec-08
Yes, i also did some checking on Wisco's website and convinced myself that I wasnt losing it....Why do i have this feeling that having only 7 different zones could really skew drawing odds as far as drawing your favorite time period? Thanks, Ken

07-Dec-08
I love the new zones, now I can hunt my deer land or the farm that is in Almond instead of having to make a hard choice. If we have a mild winter then the turkey population should be good. Saw plenty of them during the deer season and heard a few Tom's gobbling even.

07-Dec-08
I to realy like the new zones. Im on the edge of 1 and 3, so i have to try and spread seasons out by getting extra tags. Cool anyway.

07-Dec-08
I also like the new zones. Opens up a ton of new hunting opportunities as I was right on the edge of 4 different zones. It will be interesting to see how pressure and tags are spread out during the seasons.

I for one think the pressure will be lessened, as we now have the opportunity to hunt so much more land on a tag. With a little legwork thousands of new turkey hunting acres are available.

07-Dec-08
For those who think all I do is kiss the DNR's back side, here's an example in which I think they took something that wasn't broke and tried to fix it. Last year I bought three leftover tags in fall; this year, many applicants didn't even get one in the new Z-2. How much leftover tag revenue at $10/pop was lost? I'd bet a lot, unless it was made up for in another of the new zones?

I've yet to find a hunter in my neck of the woods (the old Z-34, which led the state in success rate every year) who likes the new zones.

If the same thing happens in spring, there will be a lot of angry hunters over here as we have birds aplenty.

Every turkey hunter I know has their favorite spot(s) close to home in our area with no need to wander. Some also apply for SW or NE WI where they have land or tradition (SW had birds far before we did). The price of the application, license and stamp already rivals deer hunting; I can't see how adding a tankful of gas within my new, enlarged zone is going to make it a better experience.

07-Dec-08
Geez Naz, now you know how some of the deer hunters feel were there are lot of angry hunters and few deer. Sounds like you are whining about what the DNR did with turkey hunting. "Every turkey hunter I know has their favorite spot(s) close to home in our area with no need to wander. Some also apply for SW or NE WI where they have land or tradition (SW had birds far before we did). The price of the application, license and stamp already rivals deer hunting; I can't see how adding a tankful of gas within my new, enlarged zone is going to make it a better experience."

07-Dec-08
There you go!

Seriously, wild turkey hunting in Wisconsin was one of the few things that you rarely heard a complaint about. Deer hunting ... that's an annual "whine and cheese" session in Wisconsin.

07-Dec-08
I am going after em with the bow this year. It will be near impossible to beat my bird from last spring, but this year will be a new adventure! Time to pop in the primos video,and start practicing the diaphram calls! I think ill try the grim reapers this year on my carbon tech cheetah xps. Thwack!

• Sitka Gear