planebow 18-Oct-19
Chile 09-Sep-20
Lucas 26-Oct-20
zealotox 20-Jan-21
BrokenArrow 16-Feb-21
jjs 24-May-21
bwanajames 29-Apr-22
01-Jan-09
We have moved to the Kalispell area and have a decent collection of old Spitfire Archery bows. I called and asked the local archery shops to see if they could do an appraisal and got responses like,"never heard of them. Are they a new bow maker?" and, "I can't appraise a bow your buddy made for you out of a garage."

If anyone in this area of the country (Montana, Idaho, Oregon, etc.) can give me an idea of an appraiser who might know these bows would you please send an email with info. I will also try to remember to check back here as well. Thank you all, and happy and safe shooting!

P.S. Some of our trophy pieces include GS 300 I & II's ( yes, plural) and two styles of fleece take-downs.

01-Jan-09
I live in Kalispell And had a Archery Shop for 30 years Groves were made in New Mexico they went out of business years ago. I don't think there is much of a market for them .They made compounds and recurves the compounds would be worth next to nothing. but your recurves would be worth $50 to $85 if there 50 or more lbs. and the limbs are not twisted.

01-Jan-09
Uh, no. Spitfire Archery is still in buisness right off of Edith in Albuquerque NM, (where I was born and raised) and GS 300's go from $150 for bows with no strings up to $700 to $1500 for full complete set with original sights and haedcase to the collectors. I need an acurate appraisal for my insurance company. Photos and serial numbers only go so far, they want "legal" documents as well if possible. Thanks

Spitfire Archery was continued by Harold Groves' apprentice, who I spoke to in 2003. They may have closed since then. The loss of Harold Groves was a great one, but the alcohol won. May he now be in peace.

01-Jan-09
Well if they are ask them. I was in there shop about 35 years ago. when I lived in Grants NM. you mite check ebay. I know guys that bought bows for a $1000 new that are worth about $50 now. good luck.

02-Jan-09
Get a hold of that last Pope & Young newsletter. There are several guys on the board who are avid collectors and appraisers. I will P.M. you a couple names I know.

02-Jan-09
I just would like to say that I really appreciate all of the responses in just this one day. Nice to know the Groves' are not forgotten and the archery comunity seems a strong as ever. Long live the stick bows. Thanks!

02-Jan-09
Try over on the stickbow (leatherwall) sight, there may be some more authority over there.

oz

11-Feb-10
How do I get ahold of Joe StCharles?

Thanks Jim

10-Mar-11

Sandy's embedded Photo
Sandy's embedded Photo
Harold Groves was my father. He started building bows in Los Alamos in 1952-54. It was a tool maker and worked with several scientists but I believe Openheimer was already gone. He was very instrumental in establishing a bow hunting season in New Mexico in 1957. He and my mother held several state championships as did my brothers and sister in law. I personally could never shoot. David Hughes who I believe was an Olympics champion shot his bow. (not sure of details)

Harold had several world flight records in the 50s and 60s but record keeping back then was limited. I have the newspaper articles.

He made a beautiful traditional bow which was known all over the world for its speed and quality and had a state of the art indoor archery range in Albuquerque.

The mechanical compound bow really hurt him. But he restarted his business in a small shop later with the resurge of traditional archery. He died in 1997. His son and foreman kept the business for about a year but it is no longer around. No one will ever build another Groves bow. The dynastress referred to his patent and was named after my mom, Diana.

I am putting together a collection of articles from newspapers, sports illustrated and several sources for my family history. If you have any you would like to contribute I would love to have them.

(attached excerpt from one of may articles)

10-Mar-11
Very cool Sandy...

Do you know what happened the shop? The forms, tooling, etc.... all sold off I suspect?

10-Mar-11
Hey Hornseeker if the weather keeps up it will be dry enough to ride soon:)

11-Mar-11
The equipment was trashed, it was over 50 years old. He was truly one of the original creators of the recurve bow. His patents were filed only a couple years after Fred Bear.

I personally did not like the medal handles or the compounds. When Harold started making bows originally they were works of art; rosewood, zebra wood, ebony wood and various colors of fiberglass. They designed a machine which measured the speed of the arrows and it was unbeatable for years.

Like I said I was never an archer but those who shot Groves Spitfire bows seldom shot anything else.

Of course most of those archers are long gone which is why I am putting together the collection of articles back to the 1950s for my family. Yes the bow was designed in Los Alamos in a basement under our house.

If anyone has a Groves bow from the 1950s I would love to buy it. We could never keep one because daddy kept selling them.

11-Mar-11
The equipment was trashed, it was over 50 years old. He was truly one of the original creators of the recurve bow. His patents were filed only a couple years after Fred Bear.

I personally did not like the medal handles or the compounds. When Harold started making bows originally they were works of art; rosewood, zebra wood, ebony wood and various colors of fiberglass. They designed a machine which measured the speed of the arrows and it was unbeatable for years.

Like I said I was never an archer but those who shot Groves Spitfire bows seldom shot anything else.

Of course most of those archers are long gone which is why I am putting together the collection of articles back to the 1950s for my family. Yes the bow was designed in Los Alamos in a basement under our house.

If anyone has a Groves bow from the 1950s I would love to buy it. We could never keep one because daddy kept selling them.

19-Mar-11
Sandy- Your father made a really good bow. I have two old Groves bows.

Should be proud of his work and legacy

24-May-11

MWJBS's embedded Photo
MWJBS's embedded Photo
SANDY WOULD U B ABLE TO GIVE ME A DATE ON THIS BOW. MY UNCLE BOUGHT THIS BOW NEW... MY FIRST MEMORY OF ARCHERY WAS THIS BOW, I AN NOW 53. IT IS PROB,1959 1960 OR 1961. IV'E OWNED 7 OTHER BOWS THIS IS THE ONLY ONE WORTH KEEPING

24-May-11

MWJBS's embedded Photo
MWJBS's embedded Photo
A TRUE WORK OF FUNCTIONAL WORK OF ART!!!!!!

26-Oct-11
Your Dad kindly put up with incessant questions from a poor young college boy in the 80s. I still shoot a Groves Spitfire Magnum ( and continue my search for another!) and still have a back quiver he sold me at a "college kid discount"! I have since been blessed with a good career and good times afield with his bow. I consider myself fortunate to have known him.

08-Sep-12
Sandy, I'm originally from Roswell and recollect that I shot in a tournament there with some of your family in '68 or '69 when I was in highschool. I always wanted one of your father's bows and finally bought one in the early 90's and have used a Groves Spitfire for taking deer and elk here in New Mexico since then. In the early 90's I went to your father's shop to talk to Harold and look at his shop. I secretly was looking at the posibilty of buying it! He gave me a grand tour and showed me a cardboard box full of letters ordering bows which he said he could not fulfill. Sadly, I was very discouraged by the condition of his forms and other equipment. I could not put together a business plan that would allow me to make an offer. However, The quality of the bows he was still making were absolutely amazing. One of the unique characteristics of your father's bows was that because of the technology of the limbs, a person could flex the limbs while the bow was strung. No other recurve has ever been ever to do that to this day. That is why these bows shoot faster at the same draw weight than any other current recurves.

10-Mar-13
I really love to hear anything about Groves Archery. I wandered into his shop/range on the end of San Mateo Blvd. as a teenager in the 60's. I was instantly captivated by the bow building process that went on there. I remember the limb presses using old fire hose espanded with air to glue the limbs. The thing that impressed me the most was the beauty of the wood in the handles. Anyway, I ended up almost living there, shooting in the indoor leagues and just hanging out (kept me out of trouble). I still have my first Spitfire Prestige Magnum 54#@28" 60" sn 604-7 that I bought there. I also have my first Spitfire Prestige Hunter 2 piece 48#@28" 56" sn M-938-b. I remember some good hunts up in the Sandias with this bow and my trusty Kwikee Kwiver. Good to hear from someone who knows a good bow from bygone times.

12-Aug-13
Just came upon this thread. I used to work for Harold Groves from 1972-1975. I was a tiller man in the manufacturing process and formed the tips which was part of that operation. These were truely amazing bows, and Harold was very sharp, kind and love able character. A fine and fair man to work for. I still own three of these excellent bows, and wish I'd held on to all the others I owned at one time or another. I thought they'd always continue being made I suppose. A true loss to the world of archery.

06-Jan-14

Thaine's embedded Photo
Thaine's embedded Photo
Hello, just unpacked some stuff I had put away and there was one of my grand fathers bows. A Groves Spitfire GS300 ,It has the original sight and stabalizer, Hoyt arrow rest and carry case, all still like new since it was a target bow. My grand father was Chuck Saunders of Saunders Archery and I inherited some very nice stuff. I did have a chance to meet some great folks like Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hoyt, Frank Scott and many others. But I don't remember meeting Harold although it seems I do recall my grandpa speaking highly of him. The bow I believe is a late 50's or early 60's. If it would happen to mean something to you I may part with it.

11-Dec-14

djw8908's embedded Photo
djw8908's embedded Photo
Hey there, I am brand new to archery. I remembered having a cheap little bow when I was a child and how fun it was so I decided to try to get a real bow and get into archery now at the age of 25. So I went searching on Craigslist and picked this Groves Spitfire Mag III up from an older gentleman who was getting rid of his whole lot of about a dozen bows. I looked through them all layed out in the back of his suburban and this one called my name. Youtubed the basics of recurve bow shooting and within 3 days I was shooting 12" groups at 25 yards. And having a blast doing it. After reading through this page I feel like I got really lucky picking this thing up as my first real bow in a total in the moment random purchase. What I'd like to find out is what year this was made. And where did it belong in the Harold Groves Bow Lineup? And any other cool info I could find.

Anything would be appreciated really.

11-Dec-14

djw8908's embedded Photo
djw8908's embedded Photo
Here is a another pic.

24-Feb-15
If Sandy or anyone who knows her sees this, I'm just putting a 1959 Groves Spitfire on the Leatherwall classifieds tonight; it will also be on eBay very soon. I can be reached at 207-691-2329 until midnight. I'd love to get this bow to her and the family. Kerry

18-May-16

WildWilly's embedded Photo
WildWilly's embedded Photo
My father gave me this bow when I was 14, it was my first bow for hunting and archery leagues, I have not used it for many years, and I just want to make sure I get the proper string for it. I of course went to a compound Browning bow later on. But I would like to use this again and make sure I've got the correct sting and set up. I believe it's either aluminum or some other metal as far as the handle, and the limbs are removeable. I just want to make sure I have the correct type of string...Any knowledgeable info would be greatly appreciated..I think he bought it in the late sixtys or early seventys.

18-May-16
Does anyone know the proper type of string I should use for this bow?...I have not used it for year's, it was my first bow and my father gave it to me, I think he got it in the late 60's or early 70's. It has an aluminum handle or something that looks like aluminum, and the limbs are removable...I have not used it for years and just want to make sure I have the proper string, since the shops where I live seem to not know much about the proper string. I have lost the original one. But I loved shooting it when I was 14 and well it's a great bow...Thanks Mr Groves..And if anyone know's any info I would appreciate it.

18-May-16
Hang it on the wall and remember the old days, if you shoot it you might break it. dacron

09-Dec-16
Harold would want you to shoot it. It's not a wall-hanger. Use Dacron B50, nothing else.

24-Mar-18

azballoonman's embedded Photo
Vintage Groves
Vintage Groves
Groves Flame Hunter
Groves Flame Hunter
I have a Groves Flame Hunter (R-hand), 45# @ 28", 56", 4736-2 (with original string) that I purchased in the mid 60's (approx. 1966-68). I used it once for javelina (didn't get one) and a few times for practice. Has been in my closet since then and is in very good condition. Based on the s/n 4736-2, anyone have any idea of actual mfg. date and also of its current value? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

15-Jul-18

Just one's embedded Photo
target deluxe model... least that's what it says on the bow itself.
target deluxe model... least that's what it says on the bow itself.
I have one that I believe is in great shape, but has been gathering dust for years... Where do y'all recommend I go to sell it?

16-Jul-18
Start over on the leatherwall. They will steer you in the right direction.

19-Jul-18
It would seem Sandy put out a book in 2013.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-of-Harold-Groves-and-the-Spitfire-Bow-Paperback-Paperback-or-Softbac/381237246182?epid=175673981&hash=item58c382b8e6%3Ag%3AaGwAAOSwZJBX-mws&_sacat=0&_nkw=groves+spitfire&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgroves+spitfire.TRS0

21-Jul-18
I have a copy of that book, to go with the bow I have for sale. :)

09-Feb-19

Cashew2112's embedded Photo
Specs
Specs
I have a Groves Spitfire and everyone thinks it is a Flame Hunter. The only issue is that my bow has Dyna Stressed limbs. As I understand it, the Flame Hunter did not have Dyna Stressed limbs. It has the number X-7-7 on it. There is a Roman numeral II above the specs. Can anyone ID this beautiful bow? It shoots like a dream!

09-Feb-19

Specs
Specs
I have a Groves Spitfire and everyone thinks it is a Flame Hunter. The only issue is that my bow has Dyna Stressed limbs. As I understand it, the Flame Hunter did not have Dyna Stressed limbs. It has the number X-7-7 on it. There is a Roman numeral II above the specs. Can anyone ID this beautiful bow? It shoots like a dream!

04-May-19
I lived in Albuquerque in the early 60s and became close friends with the groves family. They taught me everything i know about target archery ,bow hunting,flight archery truly the greatest bunch of people ive ever known, so, heres a question for you,its a puzzle lol think about this.

New Mexico The name "groves' Los almos Boom From this you might see who these people really were . Some of the greatest minds designed the groves spitfie bows at the time were way ahead of everyone else Lol what wonderful memories ,Larry.

11-Jun-19
Mr. Groves sold me my first Bow! A Compound with wooden limbs. it was a Pro line. Shot my first elk with it! I went to high school with his grandson, they introduce me to bow hunting, never looked backed. Good people. Howard Groves is still a famous name here in New Mexico.

07-Oct-19
My father introduced our family to Harold Groves shortly after he opened his shop and shhoting range on San Mateo NE. My sisters and I spent afternoons making dacron bowstrings (with and without peep sites) for Groves Archery. We also fletched, nocked and pointed aluminum arrows for him. My father and I made custom-fit carrying cases for Groves Take-Apart bows. Harold made the fastest lightweight bow for his wife, Diana, that was a Take-Apart bow that is now in a case, made by my father. I used that bow, with strings and arrows that I made, for many years.

17-Oct-19
Hello. Harold Groves is my husband's great grand father through Harold's daughter, Alta. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me track down a Groves Bow in any condition (will be displayed on our wall with his book so it doesn't have to be pristine condition.) Thank you for your time.

18-Oct-19
There is one on the Gardner Auction in Kalispell right now. It is an online auction that ends Monday evening. High bid right now is $5 but sure to go up as auction is ending.

09-Sep-20
I just inherited a Groves Fireline has Roman numeral 2 27@28ā€ 2-4460-7 69ā€ Anyone know what the numbers mean ? Iā€™m interested in stringing it and shooting some in the back yard

26-Oct-20
The 27@28" is the draw weight at 28 inch draws the 2-4460 is the serial number (don't know much about production so can't tell the year) and the 69" is the AMO bow length.

20-Jan-21
This is the first time I've seen this site. I have a number of Groves bows and love all of them. I've never shot one that I didn't like; smooth with great cast. My latest edition is a GS 300 TD (metal riser with butterscotch colored woven glass). I need to know how to read the nomenclature of these bows so I can determine the dates of when they were made.

16-Feb-21
I was good friends with Harold in Alb (I'm 83). I've had many Groves bows. My favorites were the Overdraws. I have 2 Spitfires now and I'm trying to figure out a way to safely but effectively repair the limbs for one of them. Both limbs split on the centerline at the bolt holes. Anyone have experience?

24-May-21
BrokenArrow, go to the Leatherwall and type in 2Bears on the handle or post and he does some excellent repairs and may help you.

29-Apr-22

bwanajames 's embedded Photo
bwanajames 's embedded Photo
My first bear taken with a Groves Spitfire Mag III in 1992. Yes, the bow is fast. And it is very smooth. But it is also the quietest recurve I've ever shot. And quiet, to me, means the bow was built right and tillered perfectly. (I still have this bow and wouldn't think of parting with it).

• Sitka Gear