Keith in Colo. 28-Jan-09
tradi-doerr 28-Jan-09
hammerhd 28-Jan-09
Sea horse 29-Jan-09
Schwammerl 29-Jan-09
RSM 29-Jan-09
nooffense 31-Jan-09
28-Jan-09
Just curious as to how many of you are members of the high plains sportsmens club. I was a member several years ago and was less than thrilled. Opening day of duck season there were at least 20 people on a 2-300 yard stretch of river. One of the properties that was fairly productive for goose was split into 2 unproductive properties, and the only property that I fished at of theirs was completely eliminated. This year at the sportsmens show in Denver I got to talking with Jimmy, and he assured me that all of those issues had been resolved. It got me thinking about joining again, but i think i value all of your opinions enough to hold off on this decision. Would definitely like to hear from anybody out there that has any first hand knowledge of how the club operates this days. Thanks in advance for any responses- Jeff

28-Jan-09
The only 2 experiences I had with them have both been negative. Paid to go on a duck hunt with a memeber, 1 duck was shot on the property, we left and went next store to the public land and got our limit. They also lease land next to where I deer hunt which is also private. I gave up after they kept crossing the fence and hunting on my side. They also told the landowner that they would be only shotgunning on the property but they sure shot some nice deer on the place with rifles.

28-Jan-09
had looked into joining once but found out from other past members that it was hard to reserve a place to hunt during the good times to hunt or even get a reservation to hunt a good place, not sure if its still the same way now.

28-Jan-09
Ditto the above comments. I had been a member for 2 years mainly for the waterfowl properties. The problems that occurred on a weely basis was the lack of access to the properties due to a poor reservation system that they had.

If you can imagine every member wanting to hunt, calling in via phone at the same time attempting to reserve a spot. It was very expensive calling the same long distance number over and over due to the one phone line they had constantly being busy. I'm not sure if the system has been upgraded to internet reservations.

As far as hunting properties, it was hit or miss mainly miss due to overcrowding on small parcels of land ie; the short stretch of river called Paul's Place. At times it was down right dangerous with other hunters across the river as well as the skybusters hunting the cornfields around Windsor.

Some of the properties have potential but I opted out after 2 frustrating years. The club could have changed for the better since then and has the potential to be decent if the properties could be managed or policed consistantly by members and owners alike.

29-Jan-09
I wish 99% of all hunters would join these $$$groups and leave the other 1% of us real hunters to enjoy our HERITAGE.

29-Jan-09
I was a member for one year. Reserved a property to duck hunt. Went to the property with my young son and the very irate land owner storms out to have me arrested for trespassing. Turns out that High Plains did not pay the money for the lease.

Run away as fast as you can.

29-Jan-09
Sounds like the old Western Sportsman Assoc, which it is only under a new name.

31-Jan-09
I appreciate all your help. I went to their website and typed in my old password from 5 years ago and it worked. I found out they have more members, and less property, than 5 years ago- don't think I'll be joining them. I think I'll take my $1000 and go shoot a buffalo instead! jeff

• Sitka Gear