live2hunt 15-Sep-09
Duke 15-Sep-09
thesquid 15-Sep-09
misser 18-Apr-21
Pete-pec 19-Apr-21
Gunny 19-Apr-21
Pete-pec 19-Apr-21
10-Sep-09
After they made it legal for ten year olds to hunt, I am in the process of building a deer box blind for my daughter. It took on a life of it's own and now has windows on all four sides, the sills are the same height as my shooting bench she is used to shooting from. It is 4' X 6', with a slopped roof. The front is 6' and the rear is 5'. We have painted it and I even shingled it. Most of the "enhancements" are from stuff I had laying around, or the neighbors who keep checking in on the progress of it, gave to me.

I will post pictures of it once it's finished. Anyways, I was thinking of putting some running gear under it so I could move it from location to location. I heard from some guys at work today that it is illegal to do this. Anybody know if that's true or not? I have never built a box blind before let alone hunted out of one. Just spoiling my daughter.

10-Sep-09
I'd say that it is legal to your question gunny. Don't know for sure but I just can't figure out why it wouldn't be. Send an email to your warden to get this cleared up. I know of a few guys that have wheels on their ladder stands - - same thing I'd guess!!!

10-Sep-09
Squid,

I checked in the regs, but damned if I can find anything on it. I'll have to check with DNR if guys here can't clear it up.

This damn thing weighs at least 1500 lbs if not more. I don't plan to take it on the highway, just move it around the property and the neighbors,and then only once or twice a year. I want the deer to get used to it before she hunts out of it, so it won't get moved that much.

10-Sep-09
I suggest using a quick-detach mechanism for the wheels so that one you are at your destination, you can remove the wheels and it is no longer a vehicle. shouldn't be too hard to do.

10-Sep-09
People have hunted off of unmotorized farm machinery for years(grain boxes,old hay wagons, or hid behind or amonst old pieces ect.)I find it hard to imagine that a non motorized blind would be illegal. However,while it is being towed or hitched to a vehicle there may be potential issues.

11-Sep-09
If having the wheels off the ground makes it legal, then it would be easy to position the wheels on the side of your blind so that when it is tipped up in operating position, the wheels would be off the ground. That way they can stay attached to your blind for simplicities sake.

11-Sep-09
I guess then a set of onboard air jacks(like formula 1 race cars carry)to rapidly lift all four corners of my vehicle would now make my pickup a legal blind?

Sounds like some real clarification is in order.Or common sense has prevailed on the part of our wardens and blinds with attached wheels have not been an issue yet.

11-Sep-09
If this thing is not motorized in any way...perectly legal.

Ironhunter - you hit the nail on the head - no motor - no foul.

Just because it has wheels makes absoutely no difference.

For "peace of mind" you may want to"check" with a phone call, but your perfectly legal. Make the call and let the group know.

Ladderstand...you'll look long and hard for a statue that prohibits wheels on your hunting blind...because it doesnt exsist!! You'll find the "motorized vehicle" quickly however.

Good Hunting -

BT

11-Sep-09

11-Sep-09
Just had a guy that I work with, who built a stand on an old hay wagon have the same question. Illegal unless one of the wheels were to be taken off as to make it un-towable is what he was told by the warden/DNR.

11-Sep-09
Why just worry about wheels? A set of skids/skis would allow it to be movable just as much as wheels (in some conditions)As I said above, I now think "real"clarification is in order.

11-Sep-09
Just called DNR and a lady that answered told me that it was "illegal to shot from anything with wheels". I asked her where I could find that so I could read it. She had no answer for me and forwarded me to a Warden's number, which of course had no answer. I left a message explaining what I wanted to know. Still waiting for a call back.

11-Sep-09
Ladderstand ....

Not again! And this time you want to bet. Here's a tip. Save your money.

Actually Ladder, there is some truth to what your stating!! But ya still can have wheels on your hunting blind!!

Ironhunter was on to something....

Looks like I may have to "eat" a "little" crow as well! I should have been a bit more informative on my original post!! Focus on "motor", gotta think out of the box I guess. Hind sight....

WSS 167.31 "Safe Transportation of firearms and bows"

WSS 167.31 (1)(h): "vehicle has the meaning defined in WSS 340.01(74)"

WSS 340.01 (74) "Vehicle" means every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains. A snowmobile or electric personal assistive mobility device shall not be considered a vehicle except for purposes made specifically applicable by statue".

By reviewing this statue, you can "clearly" see that "wheels" are not mentioned, implied, but clearly not mentioned. HOWEVER, after review, the statue is open to interuptation.

Can a "hay wagon" be a vehicle? Looks like it here. Could ole' GUNNY'S blind be a vehicle? Could be!

Then you look at WSS 340.01(35).

It's lengthy but states a motor vehicle means a vehicle which is self propelled. Intresting read!

So all in all, here's the skinny.....

To be absolutely - positively - 100% within the confines of the law. My personal advise would be:

As long as GUNNY removes his tow bar or rope to move his wheeled blind he's LEGAL. He can move it all over his farm with his truck, ATV or the nieghbors horse if he likes.

As soon as he hunts in it, first remove the rope or tow bar and he's golden. It no longer meets the "definition" in 340.01(74).

One other tip Ladderstand.

You are better off making a call to your District Attorney for YOUR County, than Mr. Lutz in Madison.

Your DA IS the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" for your County and will be the decision maker as to what is and what is not, prosecuted.

So all in all, within the spirit of debate. There was "some" truth to what you were bantering!!

Let's call it a draw!!!

Good Hunting!!!

11-Sep-09
what a joke !

11-Sep-09
Just got off the phone with a Warden, as Bloodtrail did, he quoted statues 167 and 340. He says he would use common sense, but to follow the letter of the law, you have to look at what a "vehicle" is. By the letter of the law, my blind would be considered a "vehicle".

That being said, regulations state that, "All fire arms must be unloaded and completely enclosed.....when in or on any vehicle whether moving or stationary"

Also, "All bows/crossbows must be unstrung or enclosed within a case when in or on a vehicle...."

Now where he differed from Bloodtrails explanation, is that, it doesn't matter if you remove a tow bar, truck or ATV. It is still a "vehicle".

He suggested removing one wheel to render it not movable, as stated earlier by dukore, or jacking it up off the wheels. He wanted me to make sure it would still be safe to be in though.

I got the impression, that he wanted to tell me, "Just hunt out of the damn thing!" He kept saying he would use common sense, but had to tell me the letter of the law.

He was very professional and thanked me for calling. Also thanked me for taking a kid out hunting.

11-Sep-09
The Warden said the law was designed for vehicles on roadways, but spills over into off road, fields, etc...

Now,...how the hell does one achieve blaze orange, 144" visible 360 degrees!!!!

I wish I would have never started this blind!

11-Sep-09
Gotta tell this story . About 10 years a go we took in an old boom truck in trade the week before gun season . I took it to the farm and parked it on a high hill . Sunday morning with my best beanfield rifle in tow I took that puppy up 35 feet and could shoot for miles around .

About noon a warden walks up and asked if I knew how many laws I was breaking ? He spotted me a mile away . I told him if I thought I was breaking any laws I wouldn't do it , I play by the rules .

He told me to park that thing before it falls over and have a nice hunt .

11-Sep-09
blaze orange requirement is only for state owned land.

11-Sep-09
Ladder -

That's a gimme-

You wrote:

"Now you might very well be able to fight it in court and get it dropped but that still doesnt change the fact that they can issue you a ticket"

Why is that specfic to what we are talking about? That's true with every potential violation, not just the current topic.

Like I said - remove the drawbar or rope you use to move it and your perfectly legal. READ the statue. IF you cannot tow/move the thing on the road without it, AND if you cannot tow/move it - it doesnt meet the definition of the statue. It cannot be "transported or drawn upon a hughway". Simple.

I guess my wife's 4 wheel garden cart is a vehicle - come on!!lol

Like Gunny did, I made a call, but to the District Warden Supervisor. And like Gunny I was told the very same thing. He agreed with me however that if the vehicle could not be towed, it wouldnt meet the statue. He stressed making sure that nothing motorized was attached.

Butcher is right...applies only to state land. (blaze orange).

There is not a DA in Wisconsin that would prosecute someone (Gunny and his daughter) for simply hunting out of Gunny's rig.

One needs to ask themselves "What is the intent of the law". And it is certainly not the intent of WSS 167.31 to cite folks for hunting in box blinds with wheels in a cornfield.

You do what you need to do to feel comfortable hunting with what YOU feel is legal.

Ladder - If you see those two wardens you spoke of with the pedal bike citations, ask them what they think their prosecution sucess rate on a scale of 1-10 would be. Unbelievable PR nightmare I would think!! Many turkey hunters use their Mt. bikes every year to hunt spring gobblers in Wicosnin. (Myself included)- Havent heard of one cited yet.

Gunny - I think it's a great idea for you and your daughter. I hope you follow through (on the blind) and have some very memorable hunts together.

Best of Luck!!

BT

12-Sep-09
If it comes up again on another site "Ask a warden", keep me in mind and let me know which site Ladder. I am anxious to respond.

No, I have not been checked on my bike. And to be honest it's been a few years. I recently bought a new Mt. Bike so perhaps I will be checked. If and when I am, I'll be sure to let ya know Ladder.

Good Hunting and stay safe!

13-Sep-09
Big surprise to me, I sure thought it would be legal. Easy enough to jack the blind up for some elevation and take the wheels off to be legal.

13-Sep-09

Gunny's embedded Photo
Gunny's embedded Photo
Putting the final touches on it. Needs some work on the interior, touch up paint,and then the running gear.

13-Sep-09

Gunny's embedded Photo
Gunny's embedded Photo
Other side....

13-Sep-09
How about putting the wheels on the back, so you tip it over and pull it, then to set it up, tip it back up again?

Mike

15-Sep-09
My father and law build a blind that pulls behind his truck that looks a little similiar to Gunny's a few years ago but bigger. His has 4 wheels off an old spreader. He was talked to by the local warden about the wheels and was told that he could jack it up or remove the wheels. Otherwise he would be ticketed, because he could not hunt out of it with the wheels on the ground. He ended up putting on some jacks on each corner. It helps level it up which also helps. He put a stove it it to cook on with shelves, to keep food in it during the gun season. He has shot a number of deer out of it. I just know the wheels can not touch the ground, otherwise he is violating the law.

15-Sep-09
You should put some 4-wheeler tires on it and then put a motor in it. With some hydraulics to raise the wheels up, you'd be set, LOL.

15-Sep-09
Ladderstand: You somehow missed the "any vehicle" portion of the statute you cited. A vehicle is a self-propelled device or structure. ie- If it had a motor that allowed it to move then it'd be a vehicle. If it was hooked up to a truck it'd be considered a vehicle. If it had a steering column and pedals that allowed it to be moved, it'd be a vehicle. The stand cannot move on its own so it's not a vehicle standing alone.

Your comparison to a bike is silly at best. A bike is a vehicle. Albeit, not a motor vehicle, but it can still propel itself.

The other problem with this is that it cannot be transported upon a highway.

15-Sep-09
A hunting buddy of mine is a lawer and a judge, he told me it would take a "low life" warden to ticket you for this but if he did you are in-fact in violation. If you raise the wheels off the ground it becomes a common scents call and would more likely than not be dismisted unless there was "reason" to not be. (Reason to not be "-?-") {Only in Wisconsin I guess}

18-Apr-21
Any person may load and discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow from a stationary, non-motorized vehicle, such as a wagon, trailer or blind with wheels, if it is not attached to a motor vehicle

19-Apr-21
The common sense term is often used by wardens, and getting something in writing is very difficult. The reason is, is one warden versus another warden may interpret the laws differently, and also overlook stupid or outdated rules. If warden "A" gives you a ticket, you still have the opportunity to argue your case in court. It would be difficult to get a charge dropped however, because the judge and the warden both work for the state. Warden "B" however may not seem the offense ticket worthy, but in the presence of warden "C" who is having a bad day, may side with warden "C" who wants to give you a ticket.

I had a warden tell me the same thing. Common sense says I wouldn't ticket you, but I cannot speak for other wardens. Therefore, to be safe from interpretation, the rules should be followed. I asked about a blind on a hay wagon. The wheels buried in mud, and the bearings likely rusted. His reply was technically.....you cannot put a blind on it, but....I wouldn't ticket you, but....another warden may?

In my opinion, there are a lot of rules that have grey areas. Often, it is because we are trying to cross the line, but sometimes it's because they need wiggle room.

19-Apr-21
This is a blast from the past. I started this post a long time ago.

I've since sold this rolling blind.

19-Apr-21
Shoot, I didn't look at the dates lol.

• Sitka Gear