Gold Miner 29-Nov-09
howler 29-Nov-09
Thwap 04-Aug-19
hoyt-6190 04-Aug-19
Pop-r 13-Aug-19
hoyt-6190 14-Aug-19
sbschindler 15-Aug-19
09-Oct-09
I was lucky enough to draw a general Combination Elk/Deer tag this season for MT. My main goal was to kill an elk and I did that on my first ever elk hunt. Public land DIY hunt in SW Montana. But now I have this Deer tag burning a hole in my pocket and no vacation time left. I plan on hunting the last 4 days of the season on my Thanksgiving break. I was pouring over some maps of the Fort Peck Area, mainly the NE corner of unit 700. Any adice you could share with me would be great. Thanks in advance. Again this will be my first time ever in this area and I am going solo. Of course with Archery tackle.

09-Oct-09
Make sure the ground is either frozen or dry, Gumbo! Good hunting but remote! Be prepared for anything. Good luck!

10-Oct-09
Big Nine,

you should be hitting the end of the muley rut then. watch out for mud, it is like nothing in this world.

get a good set of maps, and take plenty of extra fuel, gas stations are few and far between...where we hunt for example in that area, we are 70 miles from the nearest gas.

have fun.

Garo

10-Oct-09
Yup watch the mud, but also watch the bitter cold blizzards the come down out of Canada with almost no warning.

13-Oct-09
Watch the mud, take extra gas, get some good maps of the area. This is also a great area to hunt some coyotes,loaded with them. Dress warm.

13-Oct-09
Isn't Ft Peck an OTC area?

13-Oct-09
OTC for residents no OTC tags in Montana for NR except for a few antlerless tags, My hunting partner is camped out hunting Mule Deer in that area right now. It is snowing sideways and just about no travel on the two tracks, I hope he makes it back in time to do the Newsletter for the MBA

14-Oct-09
You mean "magazine". . . . Right??? That gives me time to write my article if he is delayed.

14-Oct-09
whoops right magazine, but he's back now mud from head to toe, I guess he had to take a loan out to get enough quarters to wash his truck

15-Oct-09
Thanks Guys!

15-Oct-09
One more thing that can happen any dry wash creeks can become a river in just a few hours. It won't happen often but a Chinook can blow in and rain will swell dry wash crossings which can leave you screwed for a day or so. Take a GPS if you got one once you leave the main road it all looks the same and if you get a skiff it really changes your prospective and you have no tracks. If you got a pack board I would hunt with it, as it will save you a trip back to the truck. Expect the Unexpected!! This place can kick you butt. But it is HIGH ADVENTURE.

Resource First

Resource First

12-Nov-09
OK...I have narrowed down where I am thinking about going...and it would be benificial to access the area via boat. I have an 18ft fishing boat with 50hp motor......what are some advantages and disadvantage or tips when it comes to navigating the waters of this area? I can get to this place by vehicle but it would be a long drive and all the Mud and info above has me thinking a 4-5 mile boat ride would be better than a 20-25 mile drive?

12-Nov-09
Finding a reliable boat launch and not being on the lake when the wind picks up. Most areas are quite a poke from the launch so be prepared to ovenight if the weather picks up. BE SAFE! That lake gets really nasty really fast.

12-Nov-09
My Pa and I just got back from the east end of Fort Peck, we had a couple of days of 50 mile in hour gusts.. other days it was beautiful. It is an awesome place just be prepared and let someone else know where you are going!

12-Nov-09
Also be advised that some areas around the lake close at the end of this weekend. The south side of the Lake in Garfield County stays open through the end of Nov., but the north side closes on the 15th and east of the Big Dry Arm is a special draw area. You'll most likely be hunting on the CMR from the lake, so check their website for specific regulations.

13-Nov-09
Good point.

13-Nov-09
What areas close on the 15th? Is it just the CMR on the north side? The regs for the areas north of the lake that I looked at say the season goes through the 29th.

13-Nov-09
The CMR closes Mule Deer hunting on the 15th this year . . . the entire CMR (north and south of river).

13-Nov-09

DJ's Link
Not the best written regs. Archery is the same as WHICH state season, archery only (Oct 18) or general (Nov 29)? Nov 15 is not the end of a state season. From the CMR site:

HD 410, 417 Mule Deer - Either sex with A-tag only. Archery - Same as state season. Rifle - Three week season on refuge. October 25 - November 15, 2009. B-tags are not valid.

HD 621, 622, 631, 632 Mule Deer - Either sex with A-tag only. Archery - Same as state season. Rifle - Three week season on refuge. October 25 - November 15, 2009. B-tags are not valid

HD 652 Mule Deer Archery and rifle - Same as state season. State permit required.

HD 700 Mule Deer Archery - Antlered bucks only on refuge. Rifle - Antlered bucks only on refuge. Same season dates as state season. B-tags are not valid.

I think I'd be calling the Refuge.

13-Nov-09
DJ,

Archery season means Archery Only ending Oct. 18th. If any questions, it's always a good idea to check with the refuge.

13-Nov-09
I got the archery only part. Unfortunately, the "same as state" statement is clear as gumbo. It doesn't specifically say you cannot continue to archery hunt beyond the Nov 15 end of rifle hunting on the refuge.

What I meant by "I think I'd be calling the Refuge" was...I think I'd be calling the Refuge. ;^)

13-Nov-09
seems pretty clear to me. archery is the same as the states archery season and rifle is closed nov 15th

16-Nov-09
Interestingly enough, this is the reply I got from CMRNWR with regard to bowhunting for mule deer in HDs where rifle hunting closed on the refuge yesterday:

"Archery season remains open until November 29th."

...but you still have to wear orange.

16-Nov-09
get it in writing and go hunt

16-Nov-09
Their reply was via email from their Lewistown office so, yep, got it in writing. However, I was mostly checking out of curiosity.

27-Nov-09

Big Nine's embedded Photo
Big Nine's embedded Photo
Thanks for all the in put and suggestion....Here is the result....I spotted this buck a mile away and 35 minutes later I arrowed him in his bed at 22 yds...my first ever Mule deer hunt....Not the biggest buck ever but i am proud of him.

27-Nov-09
Very nice,congrats!!!!!!!!

29-Nov-09
Congrats, that is an accomplishment to be proud of anytime but especially during rifle season.

29-Nov-09
Very Nice, You did good

04-Aug-19
Big Nine, yes I know this thread is almost 10 years old but I picked up an elk combo tag for MT and am limited on time so was considering 652 to hunt, being I am from ND. The maps do not show this as being anywhere near a prime elk spot but just wondering if you seen any elk in there at all? Thanks

04-Aug-19
652 is a special permit district for deer so you can not hunt it on your general tag.

13-Aug-19
Hoyt you have any elk info on the unit like he ask for?

14-Aug-19
652 may hold elk but i wouldnt plan my elk hunt there.

15-Aug-19
I suppose in the last 100 years there has been an elk or 2 pass thru this area but for all practible purposes there are no elk in 652 nor 650

• Sitka Gear