Turkey1 10-Apr-19
Yellowjacket 15-Apr-19
Turkey1 15-Apr-19
Glunt@work 15-Apr-19
Yellowjacket 15-Apr-19
dakotakid 19-Apr-19
Turkey1 02-May-19
14-Jan-10
Has anyone ever hunted turkeys on the Bosque Del Oso SWA or been there in the spring?

14-Jan-10
BowKill1,

Hunted there two times in the last 10 years for Turkeys. Always got into Turkeys in Apache canyon. I got into more Turkeys early in the season, rather than late. Only bad thing was that you are required to park in designated parking spots. You can't just park on the side of the road anywhere and take off hunting. You'll see lots of Elk that time of year and probably a few Bears. Bob Holder from the DOW was helpful if he's still around. Good luck! Jim

14-Jan-10
hunted it the first spring it opened for turkey, had the same exp-as jdbbro, got to be careful in the spring there as snow melts the creeks rise fast( if it has snowed). you'll love it.

17-Jan-10
How many birds are you guys seeing?

17-Jan-10
I had seen that time about a half dz in one day, thats all I got to hunt as the creeks rose so fast I had to get out of the camp ground area or get washed away. the next time I had worked 4 different birds in a day half and no other hunters in site the whole time.

24-Jan-10
We havent had that much snow here still on the ground. If ya need to know more on weather conditions if ya draw drop me a line I live here! pass bosque everyday. Good luck.

Mike

10-Apr-19
My daughter and I drew spring turkey tags for Bosque del Oso this year/2019. Doing some research and came across this 2010 thread. Checking to see if any one has any updated information on the Bosque? Is Apache Canyon still a good area to check? If so, is Anyone have any intel on what the snow condition is like and access in and out of the Bosque is currently like? Are the roads accessible? Are the creek bottoms raging rivers?

Thanks, Randy

10-Apr-19
There are gates across the bottom of just about every draw so it's pretty much walk-in only access. There are oilfield roads and rigs all over the east end. Bikes aren't allowed...I brought a mtn bike thinking I would be able to access the oilfield roads but that didn't work out. I spoke to the game warden and he mentioned that the turkeys follow the snowlines up the mtns and can be scattered everywhere once it melts. It's likely a good idea to hunt as early in the season as possible.

I didn't hear a turkey gobble the entire 2 1/2 days I was there. The turkeys were pretty scattered. Some areas didn't have any while others had a few. It's a matter of covering lots of country...which is a little tough when you most of the roads are gated closed.

10-Apr-19
Wife and I got drawn also. Never hunted it before Planning on being there May 4-12. What about you two?

15-Apr-19
I was there last weekend. Snowed off and on all day Saturday. Roads were muddy but passable and dried out Sunday. Saw lots of tracks but no turkeys but the weather may have put a damper on things.

15-Apr-19
Thanks for the report. See any other hunters out and about?

I definitely report what my wife and I run into when we return from our excursion there.

15-Apr-19

15-Apr-19
Saw 4 other hunters. The 2 we talked to didn't have any luck either.

19-Apr-19
My father and I were there Sun/Mon. We both tagged out. Another father / son were 1 for 2. Another group was 0 for 2. Lots of foot miles, not a lot of birds, not very vocal. Better take advantage of the birds you do find. Good luck!

02-May-19
Wife and I are headed to the Bosque this weekend. We arrive Sunday and have all week.

Never set foot on the place. Anyone got any tips on where to start?

• Sitka Gear