RK 11-May-10
Hoyt1 12-May-10
RK 13-May-10
TK 13-May-10
tex4k 22-May-10
Ron Miller 18-Sep-21
Ron Miller 18-Sep-21
09-May-10
I read these dogs are great for tracking wounded deer. How are they as pets? I have 3 small boys and would want to make sure my deer tracking dog (which ever breed I choose) also makes a good friendly pet. Any thoughts or comments? Any ideas how much these dogs cost?

10-May-10
langbow

Let me state I have never owned a blue lacy dog but being in the hunting business I have some second hand knowledge of them. What I have seen is that they are a very smart, fast dog with incredible sense of smell but they are not a rough dog, meaning really aggressive. They seem to be able to task almost any ranch job including cattle, sheep, tracking both hogs and deer. What I understand about them is that they are very good around kids.

Like any dog DO YOUR RESEARCH. Like any dog I think you will find a wide variety of pricing and quality of dogs. I do not know if they have any inherent problems like hip or eye problems.

What I have found is that paying a little more for excellent breeding goes a long way. May cost more up front but in the long run it is worth it.

We use labs in our business and train them to trail deer. They are a little slow for hogs, meaning they are not as good at getting out of the way of a mad boar, but they have been excellent on deer. My one year old now started at 7 months on her own trailing deer and by the end of the season was 8 out of 10 on finds and I pulled her off one because of to many javelinas in the area.

Back to Lacys. The ones that I have seen trail were excellent with the exception of one years ago. They are cool looking dogs. Good luck with your research and possible new friend.

RK

10-May-10
Do you sell labs for deer tracking and what business are you in. I know several breeds are capable of trailing deer and have read labs are but have never heard any real feed back from anyone who used them. Lab would fit both tracking and pet very nicely.

10-May-10
I do not sell Labs. We are in the outfitting business

I like most dogs but I love Labs. The last one we got came from Maryland, English Stock. Shorter, lighter as compared with the field labs that are taller and sometimes heavier. She is 72 lbs at just over a year and is not real tall. Every lab I have ever had would trail deer given the chance. They had no interest in live healthy deer, just the ones leaving blood.

If you are interested PM me or email me at [email protected] and I will give you the kennel we used in Maryland for this dog.

Only comment that I would make is that a lab or some other dog may be more suited to your cold weather. Blue Lacy Dogs are short haired dogs.

Would be happy to help any way I can. Call if you would like.

RK Rob Kiebler Fair Chase, Ltd. 972 523-5621

11-May-10
I own blue lacy and know a few people that do also. They are great deer tracking dogs. They also can do just about anything else also. I have owned labs and other dogs too. I love labs but this is the best dog i have ever owned. She is a sweetheart and very gentle around kids. They are very protective. If my wife is alone and someone comes to the house or the mail man comes up she does get agressive but its only when she is alone. They are a very sensitive dog. A scolding is all it takes to correct them. Yelling at them seems to be like a beating to them. I will definately be getting another. She is about 11 yrs old now.

11-May-10
clark

pretty much what I have heard about them. I have only been around one bad lacy but I have been around several bad labs. Those lacys are tracking machines.

12-May-10
I have been actually looking at these dogs. Could anyone recommend and good breeder or someone I could talk to.

13-May-10
Hoyt1

Start with wwww.lacydog.com and start researching breeders etc.

Good luck

13-May-10
Another dog you might consider that is very similar to the Blue Lacy is a Black Mouth Curr. My neighbor down in S Tx had one and it was a good dog that was lightening fast and had incredible stamina and could handle the heat. Good around people and a great ranch dog.

22-May-10
My son owns a lacy and he is a tracking machine, like was said above they can be aggressive. Also they require a lot, and I mean a LOT of excersise. My sons dog is very intellgnet, very active and very good around my 2 grandsons age 6 and 3. Our other blood tracker is a male beagle also an accompished blood trailer and quite a bit more docile around the house. Something very important to consider about working dogs is the amount of work and excersise they'll require during the off season. Our Lacy is about to go to work doing double duty as a hog dog, while the beagle is content to hang out around the yard and get his tummy scratched a couple of times a day.

18-Sep-21

Ron Miller's embedded Photo
Ron Miller's embedded Photo
Mine track just about anything, bear, elk, deer, also great Trapline Dogs

18-Sep-21
Check out Lacy Dog Breeders Association

• Sitka Gear