kramcutthroat 29-Jun-18
Paul@thefort 30-Jun-18
Jims 02-Jul-18
Secret Creek 12-Jul-18
kramcutthroat 18-Jul-18
1st/sheep 22-Jul-18
HBOM 06-Aug-18
06-Jul-10
I drew a S32 archery sheep tag. It is the first hunt. I just came back from a 4 day scout trip. I was all the way to the top of the alpine 12,500 feet plus and saw NO sheep. The first sheep that I saw was on the road system. I saw 8 rams 3/4 or better all on the road. None of these sheep were legal to take, (to close to the road). Can someone help me with where the sheep stay in that part of the country. Can someone give me an idea of where I should look next. I'am going back for another 4 day scout trip in two weeks. Are most of these sheep spotted from the road and pursed? I just have a hard time believing this.

Kirk

06-Jul-10
If you want a sheep call Mark Turner 303/567/4035

06-Jul-10
Why do you say that. Did you use Mark, have you kill a sheep in Colorado. Where are you coming from? Give me a little more info.

Kirk

06-Jul-10
Are you planning to participate in the CDOW's Sheep Count in S32 on July 27th?

That's always a good place to start. Also it's a great way to open a rapport with the Terrestrial Biologist.

06-Jul-10
I don't know why everyone thinks you need a guide. Anything can be done DIY, some guys are just lazy. I hunted ewes in S32 last year and was into sheep every day, but this was the 3rd season. I killed a ram in a different unit, so that would be no help. I saw rams consistantly above the waterfall across from Georgetown, as well as on top of Democrat/ Republican. They should be less pressured in first seaon. Don't panic, they are where you find them and it only takes a small amount of fortune to change your hunt. Good luck.

06-Jul-10
Muskwa

Thank for the support. That is what we come here for. When I reply to a post, I try to help the person on the other end plus anyone else that comes across this thread. Being that I am 52 year old; I have helped many to reach their goal. This alone has helped me to be successful. The post from TRACKMAN is uncalled for. Trackman look at my SCI entries and call me.

Kirk

06-Jul-10
KW why do you think trackman post is uncalled for You are the one asking for info. Mark livs in the unit. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT ANYWAY

06-Jul-10
Mark is a guide. He makes his living on guiding. I am asking for info that you and other might have that you can not sell. Mark sells his info by guiding. Think about it.

06-Jul-10
KW

Sent you a PM.

06-Jul-10
I'm not that familiar with S32, but offer a couple of suggestions, I have killed a ram if it matters to you 1. don't panic if you don't see something the first time out, there are lots of sheep in that unit, you just didn't find them right away, they move a lot 2. go to the orientation, you'll get a lot of good info there and probably meet some others hunting that unit, and for sure some that have hunted that unit 3. go on the sheep count, you will learn a ton from that and make an inroad with the biologist and dwm who will generally be helpful 4. search for all the threads on S32 in this forum and the sheep forum, you'll learn a lot there also and maybe reach out to some of those that have hunted there before 5. scout every weekend you can, learn the country, learn the sheep 6. You will not walk up to them from the road no-hunt buffer, it is stright up and they have the advantage 7. learn how to find them in the rocks, they blend in real well, learn how to find them at first light, they can been seen for miles 8. the kill sites that the dow records are somewhat helpful, look at them 9. I repeat, scout every weekend 10. don't give up

06-Jul-10
KW,

On your next scouting trip stop at the top of Berthoud pass and hike up to the top of the ridge. You can follow the ridge and see sheep along the entire length. Early in the morning is best as they are up and feeding, not bedded in the rocks yet. They are gregarious so you will see them throughout the day, mostly early and late though.

You can find sheep trails going up above timberline. Sometimes the sheep will bed in the trees. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the unit.

06-Jul-10
By the way KW I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS. You're one lucky guy...that is a fantastic tag to draw. And a very tough one nowadays for NR. With the continuing cut-backs in sheep tags for that unit, there was only one NR ram tag for archery this year. Should be a great hunt.

06-Jul-10
i work for mark as a guide being form Calif it could help but some guys like DIY hunts and thats ok like i said have a good hunt be safe and [YOU THINK ABOUT IT]

07-Jul-10
KW Check your PM

07-Jul-10
KW-

I'm surprised you didn't see any sheep or only a few rams close to the roads. DON"T BE TEMPTED BY THE ROADSIDE SHEEP...but that's another thread!

Do you have good optics?

Did you spend at least an hour glassing from each spot?

Did you hike up high in the dark and glass from first light to sundown? If you started hiking up at dawn and down before dark you missed the sheep.

If you spent the 4th of July weekend up there I bet you saw tons of hikers and weekend warriors. The sheep headed for the trees to avoid them and the heat.

Try glassing across I-70 not from the same side you are hiking up.

trackman must have edited his post I didn't see nothing wrong with it??? He's 100% spot on if you want to kill a sheep or at least see a bunch call Mark. If you want a nice Colroado vaction hiking around with your bow go it alone.

Sandbrew

PS

Here's a tip......

Arvada Residents Convicted Of Wildlife Crimes

DENVER, Colo. — Two Arvada men have been fined more than $35,000 after their conviction on multiple charges for the poaching of a trophy bighorn ram above Georgetown in 2008.

Henry Butler, Jr., age 57, and his son, Brandon Butler, age 30, were sentenced two weeks ago in the 5th Judicial District Court in Georgetown for illegally killing the ram on September 28, 2008. In addition to their sentences, they face a lengthy suspension of their right to hunt and fish in most of the United States.

The case resulted from a tip called in by a hunter who was scouting the area for a later hunt.

“Bighorn sheep are Colorado’s state animal and a cherished part of our wildlife heritage,” said Area Wildlife Manager Reid DeWalt, who supervised the case. “We rely on the public to stand up for Colorado’s wildlife when they see people abusing it.” Bighorn sheep licenses are so highly prized that hunters can wait decades to successfully draw a tag. Ironically, Brandon Butler did have a valid sheep tag that would have allowed him to legally harvest the trophy ram.

After receiving the phone tip, DOW investigators responded quickly to an area north of Empire along the continental divide off Breckenridge Peak. There, they observed the Butlers walking away from the kill site above tree-line, one with a bighorn sheep head strapped to the top of a backpack, the other carrying a rifle. Later that night, officers encountered the two men on an ATV, but without the rifle or the ram’s head in their possession. Investigators subsequently discovered that both items had been placed in a truck parked near the Empire dump.

Under questioning, the men admitted that Henry Butler, 57, had illegally shot the ram just below Breckenridge Peak after Brandon, having tired of a difficult and challenging hunt used a cell phone to illegally guide his father to a position where he could see the band of sheep. The elder Butler did not care to see the tag “wasted” by remaining unfilled.

“Poachers are criminals,” said Steve Yamashita, DOW’s Northeast Regional Manager. “They give true sportsmen and women a bad name.”

Hunting licenses are not transferrable in Colorado; only the license holder may legally harvest an animal. In addition, meat from the animal must be cared for and brought out of the field for consumption. It is a felony in Colorado to kill an animal and only take the trophy parts from the carcass.

Henry Butler fought the charges, but in April was convicted at trial on a felony charge of willful destruction of wildlife. He was also convicted on misdemeanor charges of hunting without a license, illegal possession of wildlife, transfer of a license, waste of wildlife and the use of electronic equipment in the commission of a wildlife crime.

Butler was sentenced to a 90 days suspended jail sentence, fined more than $8,500 and assessed a $25,000 “Samson surcharge” for killing a trophy-class big game animal.

Brandon Butler accepted a plea bargain resulting in his conviction on illegal transfer of a license, illegal possession of wildlife and waste of wildlife. In addition to the fines, he agreed to make a $2,000 charitable contribution and to the forfeiture of a rifle and ATV.

Later this year, DOW will recommend that the Colorado Wildlife Commission impose lengthy suspensions of the Butlers’ right to hunt and fish in Colorado and the 33 other states who participate in the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

07-Jul-10
John,

You sure have changed over the years. Why would you even post any of that as a tip other than your first couple paragraphs. The guy wanted help in a unit many of us know well; and as you well know, is made for the DIY type of guy. It's not like he's hunting the Sangres. Instead he gets a rash of "Get a Guide".

Think about it, he's a NR who beat the odds and drew. It was his first time in the unit and he was looking in all the wrong areas based on logical thinking. At least he knows he drew a great tag and showed some commitment by coming out from CA for his first round of scouting and struck out. Sounds like the guy has the means for a guided hunt but would rather do it his way. I guarentee you he won't step in the unit again and not see sheep.

This forum has changed so much over the years. Sheep and goats were the one thing we could all help out with since we never seem to draw tags. My how times have changed.

Keep this thread going KW, and nevermind the BS. I hope to see you with a big mountain in the back, with a Ram in hand.

07-Jul-10
Caz-

I hope I haven't changed that much...

I thought the article would be a good read. I was specifically refering to this part of the article as far a tip

"area north of Empire along the continental divide off Breckenridge Peak"

and

"had illegally shot the ram just below Breckenridge Peak"

I can't hold the guys hand and show him where to go and how to hunt S32. ;-)

I was just asking some questions and getting a feel for how he had scouted. His methods and level of sheep spotting ability are important. What fun would this thread be if I said drive to XYZ park hike 900 yards at south take left at the fifth tree. Hike 750 yards and hide in the pile of rocks wait until a 3/4 curl walks by pick spot release.....

I never said "Get a guide"

All I said was "trackman must have edited his post I didn't see nothing wrong with it??? He's 100% spot on if you want to kill a sheep or at least see a bunch call Mark. If you want a nice Colroado vaction hiking around with your bow go it alone."

I think he stands a much better than average chance of killing a ram if he hires a guide.

Does he need to? No Does he have to? no.

If he was me and I was from out of state with this tag in my pocket, with enough money to do so I would hire a guide.

These tags are to few and far between to not do everything possible to maximize the experience. If that is going on a DIY hunt for him great. People often say it's all about the experience. I think most people want to harvest ram as well as experience the thrill of the hunt.

Sandbrew

07-Jul-10
Sheep are in almost every drainage from Idaho Springs to just east of the Eisenhower Tunnel. Get yourself on the south side of I70 and glass north until you find sheep. BTW, June and early July are historically some of the toughest months to find sheep in all areas. Don't be discouraged, the sheep will be there.

Most sheep guys don't feel like giving away a ton of information that they busted their ass getting...put in your time if you are going DIY and when your hunt is over, see if you feel like giving away every secret thing you learned to anyone who asks...

07-Jul-10
Sheep are in almost every drainage from Idaho Springs to just east of the Eisenhower Tunnel. Get yourself on the south side of I70 and glass north until you find sheep. BTW, June and early July are historically some of the toughest months to find sheep in all areas. Don't be discouraged, the sheep will be there.

Most sheep guys don't feel like giving away a ton of information that they busted their ass getting...put in your time if you are going DIY and when your hunt is over, see if you feel like giving away every secret thing you learned to anyone who asks...

07-Jul-10
That's a good point for elk/deer/pronghorn, not for sheep that you might draw once in lifetime as a NR, maybe once as a resident anymore.

08-Jul-10
I agree with Caz. I offered to go with KW the next time he's out here. Jeff

08-Jul-10
reminds me of the old adage...you'll never be in a position to receive something when you always have your hand in a closed fashion.

KW...keep digging and you'll get all the info you need. Best of luck.

12-Jul-10
KW, this is the first paragraph from a story I wrote a few years ago for the CBA (and is posted on the bowsite sheep forum - feature articles section).

"For those of you whom have ever drawn a Colorado Sheep tag, you realize that this is where it all begins. My hunt started clear back in May after receiving the news that I had drawn. From there, it was a crash course in bowhunting sheep - learning everything I could before my hunt. I attended the Sheep and Goat orientation, met some other hunters and talked to the DOW for my unit (S12). I also utilized Bowsite.com's sheep conference, asking questions and meeting others whom had drawn tags and hunted the region. Next came scouting - getting familiar with my area. I spent nearly every summer weekend in driving, hiking, talking to folks, and most important; glassing for sheep. It was on one of these weekends that I met Gordon Roberts, a rifle sheep hunter who had waited 20 years for his sheep tag. Most weekends we scouted together, and on the odd weekend where one of us could not make it, we'd keep each other informed on what the other had learned. By opening weekend, I had a pretty good plan".

And the last sentence from the article: "Bowhunting draws some real quality individuals, and it seems that sheep hunting elevates that. I met some real helpful individuals and quality folks and someday hope to return the favor".

KW, I hope by now you have received many PM's and your next scouting trip will be filled with sheep sightings, best of luck. I too want to see that picture of the mountain in the background of you and your Ram.

btw, MO (Godon Roberts is stil helping folks who have drawn a S12 tag. Check out that thread on the sheep forum)

13-Jul-10
hey Dave, that was the best hunting season of my life, great memories and lasting friendships were a result. I look forward to day I get to do it again with my son.

KW, I don't know if they recorded the orientation this year, but I've got a call in and will PM you a contact if they did. good luck!

13-Jul-10
no DVD of the orientation was produced.

14-Jul-10
I have a DVD of the orientatin from 4-5 years ago, so there was one produced at one time, should be about the same stuff...

05-Aug-10
Looks like some DIY/scouting = good things.

05-Aug-10
Sounds like congrats are in order?

Any confirmation or pics yet?

Sandbrew

05-Aug-10
I just got back in town today. I will post pics; and then I need to thank those that helped. Let me gather my thoughts. The altitude still has me dizzy.

Kirk

06-Aug-10

KW's embedded Photo
KW's embedded Photo
Well; my hunt was successful. I hope that the other hunters this year can be as successful in their quest as I was. Most of us measure success by the trophy we sought after. I found that the taking of this trophy was only a part of my success. My friend Nate showed me what it is to be a real friend. He began helping me on this hunt before I was ever drawn. He was there during scouting, and was willing to stay the entire season if need be. While all along he just kept saying; put him to bed and we will kill him.

There was another outstand person that helped me in achieving my success. Everyone can help in different ways. I will not get in to details, but Cazador as you know him was very pivotal in the way we went about the hunt. He shared his skill in hunting and some of his knowledge of the sheep woods. I will just say that any of you that can befriend Cazador, do so. He is the most honorable person I have ever met. I hope I am a good enough of a person to keep him as a friend for the rest of my life.

There were also some other hunters that gave me advise. They also need to be thanked. I talked to some on the phone, some though PM, and others in this forum. I just want to say thank you to all concerned. I will be here for the next group of hunters trying to take on this challenge. This forum and advice given by other successful hunters is in no way meant to take away from a good quality guide service.

Thank you to all

Kirk

06-Aug-10
Congratulations on a fine ram, Kirk!

06-Aug-10
Congrats KW!

Great looking ram!

2 down in 32 first season.....Nice job!

Sanbdrew

06-Aug-10
Sweet...congratulations!

06-Aug-10
Are there pictures of the other ram? Who and where?

06-Aug-10
There are pics of the s32 archery recurve ram and a rifle kill on the RMBS forums www.bighornsheep.org under the 2010 harvest thread.

Congrats again!

Sandbrew

06-Aug-10
Nice job KW was worried you were getting rained out to much glad to see you pulled it off, loved meeting you and nate on the hill, great conversation, look forward to hearing from one of you with that scouting report.

pm me if you need my #

winner

06-Aug-10
Well done.

08-Aug-10
KW, congrads on a fine Sheep. As of Friday morning there have been 3 Rams taken in the first season.

08-Aug-10
Thank You for the kind words Kirk.

Good Job! It was your resolve and openness to try something out of your comfort zone that led to your success. I would say that the help you received is simply good Karma for all of the Bowhunters you and your Father have helped over the years. There are many of us that would not be where we are today without your efforts to advance our sport.

Now we just have to finish what we started in New Zealand.

Best of luck to everyone this season, Nate Sisam

08-Aug-10
well done and well said KW

08-Aug-10
common tell us a story nate started it.

winner

08-Aug-10
Winner

The scouting report is on its way. I will call you this week. Nate and I hunted New Zealand early this year. We did a DIY hunt in the back country in May. Nate had taken a real nice Bull Tahr the year before. Last may I took a very small bull Tahr (very small). We also hunted Chamois and learned a lot. We are going back but have not worked out the details. Nate and I will be right here if anyone wants to talk to us about any of our hunts past or present. Best way to contact me is to call. The phone numbers are out there so just call.

Thanks guys

Kirk Westervelt

13-Aug-10
Hey Kirk,

Nice Ram and thanks for the advice that you gave me over the phone this morning. It is always good to know a few new things as well and knowing that some of the things we are doing are right. Lets keep in touch and again, thanks for the information!

Brett

29-Jun-18
Hello, I know this is a very old thread and there's a great chance that none of the people who originally commented ae still active members but it's worth a shot. I drew a ewe tag for the archery season in s32 and am looking for any advice possible. I will have boots on the ground every weekend now until the season and have spent a little time out there already, just thought I'd check in here and see if I could get any information. Thanks in advance!

29-Jun-18
I killed a BH ram in S32 in 1997 near Republic Mt. Where have you spent a little time todate?

29-Jun-18
I have been up around d the mines and berthoud pass area. Going to go back out next weekend and explore the drainages off of berthoud and a few other areas over by Bard peak as well. I just have a ewe tag, are ewes typically with Rams late August during archery season?

30-Jun-18
My experience is that the rams are still in male groups that time of year. You might find a few young rams in with a group of Ewes and lambs but usually they are separated. My hunt was in September and that is what I observed. Have you spoken with the CPW biologist for that area? If not you should.

02-Jul-18
I would expect to find ewes alone in August. As Paul mentioned above there may be a 1/2 curl or 2 with the ewes. The ewes may also be in different spots than rams during your hunt. I would take a look at harvest reports and possibly talk to biologists....and spend time on the mtn.

12-Jul-18

Secret Creek's embedded Photo
Always happens when you don't have a tag....
Secret Creek's embedded Photo
Always happens when you don't have a tag....
kramcutthroat - I am leading one of the count legs later this month - feel free to PM me and I can share what we see.... good luck!

18-Jul-18
Pmd secret Creek Also I am trying to get in touch with the local biologist and I have been spending some time on the mountain, I have a few friends who have hunted in a few areas up there pretty extensively as well. Thanks for the advise everyone!

22-Jul-18
When is the sheep survey in s32 this year?

06-Aug-18
Kramcutthroat - CPW called last week and I was re-issued a EWE tag as well for S32. I feel extremely blessed and fortunate! I have spent a little bit of time scouting in the area but I am struggling as well. This is my last year as a resident (military) so I really want to make it count before I move please let me know if you would be interested in meeting up for a scouting/hunting trip! Goodluck hope you arrow one!

- Dan

• Sitka Gear