Marine3031 23-Jul-19
Joey Ward 30-Jul-19
BowFly 21-Apr-20
jim johnson 22-Apr-20
vpnblade 02-Jun-21
23-Aug-10

bama boy's embedded Photo
Just curious to who all hunts there. Ill be out with either my Longbow or Bear Grizzly recurve this year.Heres a pic of a hog i killed on wheeler. With my longbow.

23-Aug-10

Took this pic out Bankhead hunting Turkeys/hogs. I can't wait till fall gets here!!!!!

24-Aug-10
Hey Eric, I may hunt Wheeler again this year, I haven't set foot on it in the last couple of years. I'm sorta of getting the itch again;-)

24-Aug-10
Theres still some good deer there saw 2 nice bucks last January. I hope i run into one this year! lol

24-Aug-10
My dad and I will be for the first time. Any information would be helpful

24-Aug-10
hey eric, i hunt wheeler . killed a big 9 point there. used to see a lot of hogs there, heard they hired someone to come in and eradicate them after hunting season went out last year. thats just what i heard. hope not love to hog hunt. jim

25-Aug-10
Hey buckshot, ill tell you this you dont have to get far off the road to kill one here. And the rut usually peaks around the 2nd to 3rd week in Jan.But ive saw bucks chasing even in Feb.

30-Aug-10
As I was previously informed, there are no huntable populations of deer or hogs at wheeler, so stay away!

31-Aug-10
The above post is correct, just trying to save ya'll some time;-)

31-Aug-10
CAM I think youre the one that informed me, on this very site no doubt, you are a wise man.

31-Aug-10
Actually i just bought all of the Wheeler Refuge im putting up a gate no hunting allowed!!lol

01-Sep-10
Thank You Dwight and Eric, the gates are already up, all WE need are the signs!!

01-Sep-10
eric planning on a trip up there next week to scout. let you all know what i find.

01-Sep-10
hogs on wheeler? thats limestone and morgan area county wright?

01-Sep-10

Went scouting tonight saw a few good ones in the beans one was close to a 140 8 point!

01-Sep-10
and Madison too Muzzy

02-Sep-10
wow. i live south of Huntsville and i had no idea we had hogs around here. some of the land i hunt actually borders wheeler. all you have to do is jump a fence and you are on wheeler. i see people on tv baiting for hogs all the time. can you do that on management areas? and are they open season?

02-Sep-10
Baiting hogs in Bama is not legal.

03-Sep-10
Muzzy, Hogs can only be hunted during open deer season on wheeler, it is federal and special rules apply. Baiting hogs is not legal on public ground but a special permit may be obtained from game and fish to do so on private property. Also hogs are not "everywhere" on wheeler, and where they may be today they may not be tommorrow.

01-Jan-11
How have those of ya'll who hunt wheeler done this year? I also heard that there weren't many hogs left. Warden told me it was a disease. Could be a cover up for them killing them.

05-Jan-11
Have taken one doe with my recurve. Saw lots of deer just recently finished a hickory selfbow so i been trying to get one with that. As for hogs i havent been to the area were they use to be but heard theyve moved on. Get ready the rut is closing in been seeing tons of scrapes and little bucks are really movin. Flintlock opens this coming monday so itll be crowded everywhere.The last two weeks are always the best for me. Hopefully that buck i got a pic of in the above post will give me a shot. Got his sheds from last year. And i know where he beds just cant catch him out during daylight "yet" but the time is comin. Goodluck to all!!

11-Jan-11
only deer i saw at wheeler was when i was driving out. they have so much pressure on them that stay beded up til dark. didn't see any Hogs or hog tracks. but it ain't over yet.

Mike

23-Jul-19
Hello Folks, Can someone tell me where to get to the deer hunting properties at wheeler and swan creek? I will be using a crossbow since I am a disabled marine Corps Veteran and have a messed up left shoulder. I live in Hazel Green, Just outside Huntsville and have never hunted Wheeler or Swan creek before! I need to know what road to take to get to the gate to hunt! It will be me and my wife! Also, when and what areas are open for flintlock rifle season? I am sorry for all the questions! I lost my hunting permission this year because a housing subdivision developer purchased the land I had permission to hunt on and now it will be a dang housing subdivision! Time to sell my property and move further out in the country!

30-Jul-19

Joey Ward's Link
Go to this link...……………………Or click on my link above...………………….

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Wheeler/about.html

All you want to know about Wheeler...…..and a map of the place.

Good luck

21-Apr-20
^WTH!^

22-Apr-20
Wth

02-Jun-21
Site is good

• Sitka Gear