Idaho
Contributors to this thread:
Grasshopper 25-Aug-10
Sarge 25-Aug-10
Mt. man 25-Aug-10
SteveID 25-Aug-10
griff536 14-Jun-18
25-Aug-10
We scouted the 6 lakes area and didn't see any sign of elk. No old sign on the ground from all summer! Four wolves came right down to camp. Once we got to 6 lakes we went in another 3 miles and still no sign. Only guess is the wolves pushed the elk down into the deep holes. Sure makes packing out elk tuff having to chase them miles back in and down in the deepest holes. No elk buglin' either. Not sure if we are going to hunt this area due to the work of getting way back in there and no elk sign. Not a good gut feelin' Anyone else scouted the deep creek trail area? There is a deep bog in the deep creek trail that some mules were belly deep and hopping to get through, I'm sure they didn't want to do that again. The forest crews were in the area clearing trails and said they hadn't seen any elk the 11 days they were in there. Might be lookin' at another area. Findin' one without wolves might be a challenge.

25-Aug-10
Scouted the north end of 22 and also did not see any elk sign. But then we didn't see any wolf sign either. Saw two large four point mulies, but alias, they are not legal in 22. Over the ridge in 23 we saw a little more sign, but not much. It won't be long before long time hunters just plain give up and the F&G starts to feel the loss of revenue. Best of luck in finding a workable area.

Sarge

25-Aug-10
I was up in the hills on Monday night and the USFS had dug up the road leading to one of my trail cams. So my 1/4 mile hike to the camera 2 weeks ago is now about a mile. Coming out in the dark I heard a few cows mewing in the timber above me. Had about 20 on the camera in 2 weeks time so hoping the new area will pan out. Perhaps the USFS helped me by ditching the road out as it will keep the grouse/road hunters out of that area. Good luck guys.

25-Aug-10
Sent you a PM Sarge

14-Jun-18
Any luck on the north end of unit 22? I hiked up to the Lick creek fire lookout and didn't see much sign.

• Sitka Gear