okiebuckhunter 06-Nov-10
quail hunter 06-Nov-10
JB/OK 09-Nov-10
woodswise 09-Nov-10
Square body buck 18-Sep-19
01-Nov-10

JB/OK 's embedded Photo
JB/OK 's embedded Photo
Pic was taken in Osage County near Hulah Lake. Almost looks like an exotic deer.

01-Nov-10
Sika Deer for sure.

Matt

01-Nov-10
could be a melanistic whitetail, it is a gene that makes them black in color, it is a gene like the piebald or albino trait

01-Nov-10

longhunter's Link
When I saw this, I immediately thought "sika deer". I am going to try to post a link to a group of sika deer photos. Hard to say for sure. It does not look like a whitetail....

01-Nov-10
Sitka deer

01-Nov-10
melanistic whitetail X2 undoubtly! Sitka is a type of black tailed deer and if you guys are thinking the Sika, well it has spots and is from China. Neither could endure our ever changing OK climate. It's just the rarest color variation of whitetail deer. Nice to see one in our state.

http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/06/27/melanistic-buck-spotted-in-austin-texas/

01-Nov-10
Well, I vote with Matt. He does know his exotics. That is NOT a whitetail deer.

01-Nov-10
I used to work on the Zink Ranch and we had about a dozen Sika deer in a pen. They lived for several years. Now sure how they would make it in the wild but they seemed to do just fine.

01-Nov-10
Sika are from Japan and they can live in the wilds! I have seen them on the East shore in MD. Don;t think this a one though.

02-Nov-10
I think its Dasher...or maybe Prancer???

02-Nov-10
Sika for sure. Some have spots and some don't. Some a very light and some are very dark. Google it.

02-Nov-10
I did google and it resembles a Sika. Where would it have come from? Heck of walk from China.

02-Nov-10
It took the slow boat :)

02-Nov-10
Woolaroc has goobs of Sika/Sitka(?), and Hulah isn't all that far Woolaroc.

02-Nov-10
Kill it before it propagates!

03-Nov-10
Danny, I thought about Woolaroc. Still a pretty good trek, but I guess he could travel that far. It would be about 14 miles.

Oakie, This is on Pops' land, which is about a mile south of your old "south of 10" spot.

03-Nov-10
You are right Jason 14 miles is a good stretch, but not as far as China. LOL

03-Nov-10
Did Santa move his workshop to Osage county? I guess it makes sense, more centralized location, lower taxes, access to UPS for international shipping, and with Tulsa's Aerospace and Defense network he can stay in touch with the latest technology. This is great, Santa and Garth Brooks here in Oklahoma!

04-Nov-10
sika - no doubt theyll live just fine in oklahoma.

04-Nov-10

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Here's a mature sika stag that was taken by one of our hunters here in south central Oklahoma (just southeast of Ada). We've had several Sika deer (not to be confused with sitka deer) and they thrive here in our climate. You can buy them from several different breeders and exotic auctions throughout the state, and since they're not a native deer species, they require no special licensing to own or buy/sell.

-Cheryl

-Shiloh Ranch Hunting Camp

06-Nov-10

12ringman's Link
These can live here in OK too. ;)

06-Nov-10

12ringman's Link
These too.

06-Nov-10
There is a small store somewhere on the backroads around Hulah lake. I remember stopping there while we were doing some Rabbit hunting. they had photos of Sika and fallow deer that had been taken on public land. The story we were told was that they turned several of these deer lose on the Mullendore ranch along with other exotics many years ago and that they have thrived and done very well throughout the years. Occasionally one happens to make the mistake of walking in front of a hunter on public land every now and then, and since it is considered an exotic, it's completely fair game. I confirmed the above later with a late friend of mine Doug Frasier who was a Game Warden in osage county for many years. He confirmed that there were a few exotics roaming around in that area from the Mullendore, although the majority were Fallow deer. Just food for thought.

06-Nov-10
The Mullendore Ranch.....What an interesting history with that place. Good book about the murder case also.

07-Nov-10
I don't know how I missed that the first time, but that's hilarious Joe Don!

-Cheryl

09-Nov-10
The Mullendore ranch had Fallow deer, but no Sika deer. I have been hunting the ranch for 22 years now. Man, there use to be some HUGE Fallow bucks walking around. The pic of the Sika is south of the ranch about a mile and a half.

09-Nov-10
It got loose from somebody's pen. You'll probably never be able to figure it out unless some local starts asking if anyone has seen his Sika. Kill it and see how it tastes.

18-Sep-19
Just asked on a fb page had anybody seen Sika around dewey.. someone linked This Thread to me. In 1997 I worked in at stockyard in Dewey the owner inadvertently let out 20-25 Sika deer we never saw them again. I was wondering if anybody had ever seen any. Hulah only 15 miles from the sale barn.. Now you know the rest of the story. They are obviously thriving. THIS IS FIRST HAD KNOWLEDGE.. I SEEN THEM CLEAR THE FENCE. The seller was out the money and his deer.

• Sitka Gear