Hunter27 13-Feb-12
Bigdan 13-Feb-12
Hunter27 14-Feb-12
Bigdan 14-Feb-12
MetzgerMT 27-Feb-20
cubdrvr 27-Feb-20
Eric Lechleitner 04-Mar-20
13-Feb-12
This spring will be my first time ever hunting black bears. I am planning on hunting in the Northern Tobacco Root mountains. Any advice on this area or bear hunting in general would be much appreciated. What techniques do you all use for spring black bear? When do bears start coming out in the spring? If this winter continues to be mild how will that affect things? I have a lot of questions. Thanks for any help.

13-Feb-12
I killed a 7 ft 2 black bear years ago just east of Twin bridges. and Bob Savage kill one near Pony that was a state record. So there were some big ones in the roots. have not been there for years and I killed mine in Sept. When I was calling elk.

14-Feb-12
Bigdan, do you ever specifically target bears in the spring and if you do what is your strategy?

14-Feb-12
I have not bought a bear tag in montana in about 30 years. I had a cabin on POW Island in Alaska. And hunted bears there. When I did hunt bears in montana in the spring it was over lush green grass. On gated roads.

27-Feb-20
Hunter 27 I’ve never hunted black bears planning on hunting the Roots as well. My uncle owns a cabin in mammoth so probably going to use that as a base camp. From my understanding is find south facing slopes and glass glass glass! Wherever there is the best feed is probably where youll find them. Good luck and maybe I’ll see ya up there!

27-Feb-20

04-Mar-20
plenty of griz in that area

• Sitka Gear