ny griz 22-Aug-12
Peepin Tom 23-Aug-12
swampbowman 24-Aug-12
Somersbow 28-Aug-12
rebbie 28-Aug-12
Jim Principi 01-Sep-12
rebbie 03-Sep-12
17-Aug-12
I have done alot of research about where to hunt and the best chances stat wise. Allagany county comes to mind. Hanging Bog,Etc. Has anyone hunted there? Finding a place to stay seems to be a sticking point.You have plenty of State lands. Id love to come. Im from Harrison,Maine.40 mi NW of Portland.

17-Aug-12
I'm not familiar with that area but this might help you find some public land.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html

good luck.

18-Aug-12
Hanging Bog is near Cuba, NY. There is a Econo-lodge motel in Cuba where the rate is about $89.00 per day for two hunters. There are other motels in the area such as the Microtel in Wellsville, which is about five miles from the Vandermark State forest. You which has excellent hunting for bow hunters (but it is hunted very hard during gun season.) You will have a great time here in Allegany County and see a lot of deer, and some nice ones, especially if you can time it around the rut this year in the first week of November.

18-Aug-12
Thanks , Thats very helpfull. Will check it out.

18-Aug-12
Thanks , Thats very helpfull. Will check it out.

19-Aug-12
Bowslinger one of the best places to hunt in NYS is Fahnestock State Park. It is a Bow Only hunting place and open to the public. Good Luck!

22-Aug-12
Where is that Rebbie?Thanks

23-Aug-12

Peepin Tom's Link
Ahh the gem of Carmel, NY

Here is the link to the park.

-Not Rebbie

24-Aug-12
Hanging Bog was my favoite place to hunt grouse years back (not anymore,far fewer birds) and you'll still find plenty of deer.Lots of room with connecting state forest lands and primitive camping is allowed.Too many gun hunters later on but archery season is not crowded.

28-Aug-12
RE: Fahnstock.

No longer 100% bow. Had a limited shotgun season last year w/ talk of expansion. Got this from the park office during spring turkey. Just an FYI, though still a great bet.

28-Aug-12
Somersbow, That stinks if they opened it up to gun!

ny griz, it is located in Putnam county.

01-Sep-12
Do the park police still have a headquarters and shooting range at the base of the old ski lift. My dad and i bowhunted that area back in the eighties. It was a good spot but then they made the whole hill behind the headquarters off-limits.

03-Sep-12
Jim I am not sure. I used to always see a lot of deer on that old ski range as i drove on the Taconic Parkway! I used to hunt Fahnestock a lot in the 80's and I always thought that area was a no hunting zone? Maybe I was wrong.

• Sitka Gear