tradi-doerr 24-Sep-12
extreme predator 26-Sep-12
Destroyer350 26-Sep-12
Paul@thefort 26-Sep-12
Destroyer350 26-Sep-12
Paul@thefort 26-Sep-12
txhunter58 26-Sep-12
29-Aug-12
I know alot of people that do but that doesn't always mean it legal to use two way radios while hunting. I see on the Brochure pg.13 number 20 says to use electronic equiptment is illegal. So It got me curious if I'm the only one reading it this way.

29-Aug-12
You can't use them to take game. Like, communicating between a spotter and a stalker. Use your discretion.

Use them for safety, rendezvous, etc... OK. GW's often monitor and scan two way radio traffic to find violators.

We used bright flags and pre-coordinated signals and gestures to communicate for sheep and deer hunting, between spotter and stalker.

29-Aug-12
I've used hand signals for alot of years but saw some people using radios that I sure wonder about just like you said but I can't prove anything I was just making sure I had read the law right kinda thought it was that way. thanks

29-Aug-12
I am pretty sure it is legal to use radios to hunt and even to give directions to locate a game animal. At least it was a couple of years ago and got an email stating that it was legal from the DOW.

Is this what you are talking about:

It is illegal to:

"20. For two or more people to use electronic equipment on the ground, in a vehicle or vessel while violating any wildlife law or regulation."

I think the deciding wording is "WHILE violating any wildlife law..."

Unless you can point to another reg to show they have changed the regs, they are legal to use for hunting. NOT THAT THEY SHOULD BE!

30-Aug-12
I just use my cell phone. Within the past 3 years cell phone towers have gone up where we hunt and it's great.

30-Aug-12
I have a radio/gps combined unit that will be in my pack again this fall. There is no question that they are legal for routine communication. I always thought they were not legal to use to tell someone where game is, but they are unless they changed to law recently.

30-Aug-12
huh I always thought it was illegal as say a spotter and stalker sure communication to rendezvous points but not for stalking game

30-Aug-12
they are illegal to use to lead people to game for hunting, not all laws are printed in the regs, thats why your best to contact the CPW and ask law enforcement.

30-Aug-12
I thought it was illegal too! In fact, lost a bet over it as I did contact the DOW and they confirmed that they are legal to use for game location. That was 2 years ago, so unless they changed the law since that time, they are still legal. I will try and find the email.

30-Aug-12
I looked though my big game brochures going all the way back to the early 90's, and there was never a listed restriction on radios in the booklet. They've always had the list of "It is illegal to....." which is now up to 29 items. Surely they'd add that to the list if such devices were indeed not allowed. The rule #20 (as cited by txhunter above) was added in 2008.

Now the Pope & Young Club's Rules of Fair Chase do indeed prohibit them, where they disallow "the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game".

30-Aug-12
As it should be! I carry radios, but have never used them to aid other hunters. Just doesn't sit right, legal or not.

30-Aug-12
+1 ("As it should be! I carry radios, but have never used them to aid other hunters. Just doesn't sit right, legal or not."

30-Aug-12
I have carried a radio for years but for some reason we never use them..just too afraid of the squelch if one goes of while making a stalk. Just better to keep them off. Even when having a pre-determined time to chat no one seems to know the time. For me just weight I don't need in my pack while hunting. I will say after hunting they do work to help someone lost getting back to camp. That happened about 10 yrs ago and worked out pretty good.

31-Aug-12
txhunter58(David) It is ILLEGAL to use a radio to lead hunters to game animals while hunting, I hunt with a couple guys that work for the CPW(CDOW, game warden/Bioligist) and they said they will ticket you if your caught doing so, Bob Thompson of the CPW law enforcement dept. is going to call me back with the CFR# of the law that prohibits the use of radios for leading to game animals.

Radios are however legal to use for calling for help or letting hunting party's know your location and such.

We have to be careful of the info we give out on the internet, thats why I highly recommend every one to contact the proper authority's on such things and not rely on info from a hunting forum.

Dennis Doerr

31-Aug-12
I'd really like to see the reference from Mr. Thompson.

The revised statute reads:

C.R.S. 33-6-124 (2012)

...(3) It is unlawful for two or more people on the ground, in a motor vehicle, or in a vessel to use electronic devices to communicate information in the furtherance of a violation of articles 1 to 6 of this title or of a commission rule. A person who violates this subsection (3) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of two hundred dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points...

The term "radio" does not show up in a Lexis search for title 33.

31-Aug-12
Trad: I did contact them and received an email from them stating that it was legal!

If that has changed, I would be glad to know it as I told the DOW official I wish it was illegal, he agreed, so maybe they changed the law?

Please let us know what Bob says as well as the actual statute. Hope you are right.

31-Aug-12
....."to use electronic devices to communicate information in the furtherance of a violation of articles 1 to 6 of this title or of a commission rule"

Not sure what that means or what 1 to 6 is....

31-Aug-12
txhunter58, I talked to Bob Thompson today and I have to appoligize as you are right (partly), what he read to me is in 33-6-124 sub section 3, they had changed the wording to what it is in the regs.(what Bobmuley wrote) with a bit more definition,BUT, a hunter may use a 2-way radio to lead another hunter to the animal(doesn't say you can but it doesn't say you can't either), but this is were it gets to be a real grey area, it has it worded about ethics, so if a warden thought a hunter was unethical while using a radio a ticket could be written.

I think it would be safe to say you might not want to use a radio when hunting, you could end up running into the wrong warden at the wrong time, not to mention that B&C, P&Y won't let you enter your trophy if a radio was used to lead you to the animal, not considered fair chase.

31-Aug-12
Agreed. Be better if they would make it black and white and cut out the grey!

I would not hesitate to tell my hunting buddies that "I saw a 'big-un' in XYZ canyon this morning", but would never use them to direct them directly to an animal. You would need ear buds for that and I don't even own them.

02-Sep-12
Ok, here is the deal. As the past DOW Liaison with the CBA I dealt with this reg a few times trying to clarify it.

While some other states (15 total) DO NOT allow the use of any electronic devices, (cell phone, two ways, etc,) for one person to guide another hunter to game, or to communicate the where abouts of game to another person, IT IS LEGAL HERE IN COLORADO TO DO SO.

The current regulations concerning radio communications involves two situations.

1. from an air plane--illegal to communicate to the ground the locations of game.

2. as was expressed above "to further a violation". An example---ONe hunter has a cow elk tag and kills a bull. (Illegal) Calls up his hunting partner and states, "come over here and place your bull tag on this cow for me". This act of communication is the furtherance of an violation. So now we have two violations concerning the killing of this illegal bull. 1. killing of the bull with the wrong tag, and 2, using the radio to "further" the violation to have someone elses tag put on the bull.

I am all for the use of "radios" for "necessary" communications in the field but not for the location of game or guiding another hunter to game.

If enought hunters want this to change to being illegal, then develope a "citizens petition" and present it to the CPW Commmission.

02-Sep-12
Correction, "Come over here and place your bull tag on this bull for me ---as I only have a cow tag"

02-Sep-12
It is interesting that a game warden and biologist thought it was illegal too!

02-Sep-12

I think you and I can agree that the regulation should be rewritten and clarified.

Thanks for the comment.

My vote would be to ban their (radios, phone, etc.)use to communicate game movement and to direct a hunter to game-- period, except in the normal course of the day, in the field communications, hunter whereabouts, going for lunch, I have an animal down, come and help.

Paul

02-Sep-12
I second the motion!

02-Sep-12
My vote is to clear this whole matter up, a regulation should never generate controversy though interpretation.

Surely this should be cleared up and not one warden citing his views and another not turning his check.

This type of stuff keeps attorney employed. Someone please address it.

06-Sep-12
txhunter58, you would be shocked to find out how much even a warden doesn't know about some of the laws their suppose to enforce or not enforce.

I did talk to them (warden/Biologist) this week in camp and they were unaware of the changes/hadn't paid attention,but I showed them in the regs. the way it is written/Bob told me and boy did that stir up some camp fire debate, the one said, In his opinion it should be illegal for like deer/elk and such but it is vital in like lion hunting and some of us didn't agree, and he also asked how much advantage does it really give some one,?.

What Paul said in his post it adds to more charges and I second Paul, we should petition a change in this regulation for illegal use of electronics for biggame hunting if there is enough support for the change.

07-Sep-12
This thread makes me LOL

08-Sep-12
Merscham, whats your honest opinion sence you chimed in :)

10-Sep-12
Funny,,,you are not allowed to have lighted pins or a camera or lumanocks yet, you can tell your buddy were the animal is located. seems like some rules are ass backwards.

10-Sep-12
But we still have the best game/fish dept around, well for now,LOL.

10-Sep-12
But we still have the best game/fish dept around, well for now,LOL.

14-Sep-12
I think Im fine with with the reg as is, much like all other regs, they ARE and I follow them, its clear to me. I think sheep and goat hunters are the about the only ones using said electronic tactic. Though it shines a rather clear light on other arguments as the Commission allows electronics in our primitive seasons, and look, OTC tags are still here;) But then I have no burning desire for everyone to be legislated into thinking just like me. You guys do know that you don't HAVE to use them....right?

14-Sep-12
Most dont/wouldn't use them in archery season, it's more of a moral issue for most, but some don't know the logistics of the regs. even some that really should know.

Lon, did you get out and hunt yet? haven't seen you at the range lately.

17-Sep-12
Paul@theFort stated, "If enough hunters want this to change to being illegal, then develope a "citizens petition" and present it to the CPW Commmission"

Hmmmm! Well mister former CBA/DOW Liasion are you implying, without even addressing the CBA board, that they would not back bowhunters but would rather see bowhunters sudmit so called (citizens petition)?

Very interesting concept. That way if the petition didn't work, the CBA could say rather than make waves, "We didn't have anything to do with it"! On the other hand if it turned out the other way, I'm sure the CBA would be willing to take full credit!!

20-Sep-12
Really Bullwinkle???

Way to twist that one around for your own agenda. Why dont you stop trying to start a pissing match since you had nothing helpful to say about the topic.....

24-Sep-12
Bw, Not implying that at all so thanks for the clarification.

THis is NOT a bow hunting, ie, CBA only issue, but a Colorado hunting issue IF enough statewide, regardless of manner of take or organization, hunters feel it is an issue. Two way "radios" ARE used to communicate the locations and to direct hunters during all big game seasons.

Fifteen other states have regulations that make it illegal to use them for that purpose.

I would support that as a Colorado hunter and this has nothing to do with the CBA, me as a member, a bow hunter, or any former positions I have held.

I stand by my quote you posted.

Thanks for your comment.

Paul Navarre

24-Sep-12
Paul is spot on with his comments, this is about all forms of hunting, I did talk with an outfitter that said he only uses them when cat hunting w/dogs, this makes sence, but to hunt most other game animals it is mostly ethics involved then, and the outfitter said they don't other than to communicate with camps.

26-Sep-12
have seen them in use , first time this year.

Can outfitters bring in un leashed dogs to look for elk crippled or unrecovered?

Also, Have a hard time belieiving hunters would pay $1000 per day for a guide to hunt Publci lans. Just tells me the outfitters so called leases( way over stated on their web) are not that good. $1000 per day to hunt public lands.

A sucker is born every minute. and my free access to the Natl fORREST IS 1/3 THEIR HIKE TO GET STARTED .

26-Sep-12
I don't see why it would be a big deal for me to call on the radio and say hey dad im coming down to get you or he might say wait I have something moving in. Then they should outlaw four wheelers. You old geezers get to walking or better yet free ranging sheep. They destroy the landscape and eat all the elks food and they wonder why they have horrible winter kill. Dummies! Or Lumenocks - I want to know if I made a good hit and find my arrow.

26-Sep-12
350 no one is saying to disallow two way radios for "normal" communication, ie, as you stated, "hey dad Im coming to get you" or it's time for lunch, or I just broke my leg and need help.

26-Sep-12
"Normal" communication can turn into "illegal" communication without trying. What if I say hey dad i'm coming to get you. He might say hey did you see anything? Just a couple cows I thought they would come your way. Then next thing you know radio silence and i'm pulling out a elk and we were just trying to have "Normal Communication" but instead I might be risking getting a fine or worse. This situation has happened with whitetail plenty of times.

26-Sep-12
What if, what if, what if!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure if a regulation was developed, as in 15 other states, it would be clear. It would be up to all that hunt to recognize the regulaton and abide by it.

There will always be some that will abuse the law or game regulation.

Normal communication can turn into illegal communication without trying, you state.

Then some need to try harder to understand what can and can not be communicated or pay the price. Seems simple to me.

Paul Navarre

26-Sep-12
350: Nothing you said would be illegal currently.

If the law was changed, stick to communication only and use common sense and you have no worries, simple.

• Sitka Gear