stinky at home 18-Sep-12
Flinger 18-Sep-12
Ridge Runner 18-Sep-12
RUGER1022 18-Sep-12
havoc 18-Sep-12
17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Thought I'd share some pics with my fellow/former Sconnies.

Recently finished up with my first elk hunt. I planned on elk hunting in Idaho before I found out I'd be moving...and then fortunately was drawn for a surrendered tag...at the last minute...in the middle of moving to Utah.

It's been hectic but the hunt was fun, tough and challenging to say the least. The Utah season is early and the temps were hot.

I was finding good bulls and had some very close encounters early in the hunt but hunting pressure and blown stalks from them meant I needed to spike camp much further in. Here is my home away from home.

17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Base camp: This hunt was the most physically and mentally challenging thing I've ever done. Spent many nights on the mountain alone. The combination of very hot weather and harsh terrain flat out beat me down. (Utah has a dumb early season structure for archery hunters). Fortunately, the weather FINALLY cooled off and I had a couple friends take a day off to help on occasion. Tuesday the 12th was one of the few days I wasn't on the mountain by myself.

17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
That morning the alarm went off at 3:30 am and we were climbing to a ridge top while listening to bulls bugle below us by 4:30 am.

We heard four different bulls and were figuring out which one to go after. Wind was bad for the giant I was after all week. His bugle was distinct and I knew where he was.

This back-up bull sounded good and the wind was perfect. I was on him earlier in the week but he kept stepping through my shooting lanes. Anyway, we dropped down and stalked as close as we could just as it was getting light. We setup 100 yards from the bull and 30 yards apart.

My buddy started cow calling but he initially stayed at 100 yards trying to call us to him. At that point my buddy behind me changed it up and started simulating a cow being harassed by a small bull (breaking branches and thrashing sounded great too).

When we didn't go to him, curiosity got the best of him and he went from hung up at 100 yards....to curious at 40 yards...to dead. Tough blood trail but we found him not even 200 yards away.

I was on all fours looking for spots of blood when I heard my buddy say "hey guys there's a dead elk over here".

17-Sep-12
I still can't get over how big these animals are! I was sore for a couple days after this.

17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo

17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Meat before trophies: I had never carried this much weight before...let alone on my little daypack for the first load out.

17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Finally got my pack frame for the last load.

17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Headed down. A guy in the basecamp next to mine helped us out with his quad. The hike was downhill mostly...over deadfall but within a reasonable distance to a bike trail.

17-Sep-12

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
The end.

17-Sep-12
Those are the stories Bowsite should be full of! Very nicely done. I can feel your pain with your writing of it being tough mentaly as well as physically. Again, that was a good story.

17-Sep-12
Yes, these are the types of stories!!

Congrads on a job well done, nice photo's and story!!!

17-Sep-12
Very awesome YZF, this is on my bucket list someday.

17-Sep-12
Thanks and to answer your questions:

-Yes, this was a do-it-yourself limited entry hunt on all public land. I hunted the Wasatch mountains which are managed for hunter opportunity...quality if you are a machine or not afraid to hike in. I drew the tag with four points...at the last minute to boot.

-Elevation: I hunted between 7,800ft and 10,300 feet. This bull died at 8,300. Most of the miles I put on (chasing the bigger bulls) were right at the 8,500 mark.

-I just moved from WI to UT. So far it's been great. Pretty much unpacked now. Reserved a spot on the wall for this bull! My WI whitetails will have a larger cousin to keep them company.

Next I'll be hunting an over-the-counter unit in Idaho. Going in without much prior scouting so I hope they are vocal to help me out! One more tag punched would be icing on the cake.

Good luck the rest of the WI season! Keep the reports coming in.

17-Sep-12
Funny. Three of my coworkers pointed that out today...and one of them forwarded it to my spouse. I predict HIS car will have flat tires tomorrow.

18-Sep-12
Dandy >>>--->

18-Sep-12
Way to get it done! Nice story, nice bull, and nice meat for the freezer.

18-Sep-12
Congrats again Jason! Hopefully we will find some time to meet up this coming winter/spring. Awesome bull and good luck in Idaho now!

18-Sep-12
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

18-Sep-12
Great bull........sounds like a great hunt.

jealous for sure.

18-Sep-12
Congrats ,Very nicely put together

18-Sep-12
Way to go Jason , looks like the Jeep is holding up well .

I love Elkmeat , I enjoy hunting them , but Every Elk you haul out of the mountains takes a year off your life , ;-]

18-Sep-12
Awesome story, nice pics, congrats on a beautiful animal! Thanks for sharing.

• Sitka Gear