AZBUGLER 22-Aug-13
WapitiBob 22-Aug-13
PREDATOR 23-Aug-13
AZBUGLER 24-Aug-13
notags 25-Aug-13
WapitiBob 25-Aug-13
Producer 04-Jan-15
27-Jun-13
Okay, I am sure there will be lots of opinions on this, but I for one am concerned with the GF lowering the minimum poundage to 30 lb.s for big game other than elk and buffalo, and lowering those to 40 lb draw weight.

There has been a certain AZGF Big Game Director who has made it no secret that he does not support bowhunting, citing too many animals lost due to wounding.

Are we being set up for failure, only to support the naysayers about the effectiveness of archery equipment to humanely kill big game animals?

If I recall, the early recurve starter bows my friends and I shot as kids were 25-30 lb.s, and while we killed a lot of rabbits with them, I would neve try to kill a mature mule deer with one.

I know archery equipment has become more efficient, but physics are physics,and if an arrow does not have the KE to penetrate vitals, wounding will occur. I am curious as to what the thoughts are from the rest of you Bowsiters.

27-Jun-13
I think it is too low. I thought 40 was low for an elk size animal. I know shot placement is critical but I just can't see big game hunting of any kind with a 30 lb. bow.

28-Jun-13
With the right arrow and broadhead combo 30 lbs is plenty to kill a deer. IMO. I know of a kid on that bighorn ranch in California with a 30 lb bow shot one of those ramboley sheep ( spelling????) with all that wool and blew right through it. Shot placement is key whether your shooting 70 lbs or 30 lbs. The parents just need to make sure they stay within their effective range.

30-Jun-13
I've never seen a big game animal shot with a 30 pound bow but my son shot a deer with his 40 pound bow at 25 yards and got a complete pass through. I'd say range is going to be the biggest issue here.

30-Jun-13
I know of a guy this year that shot a 160" plus desert muledeer with a 30 pound bow and recovered the buck. My son also shot his 1st archery javelina with a 30 pound bow at about 12 yards. It all in shot placement, but I think 25 yards would be max distance for kinetic energy.

01-Jul-13
A lot of things "could" kill an animal if everything were perfect. I think the new changes are too low for consistent positive results in real life situations.

01-Jul-13
You can kill a moose with a .22 if you do it right. I think our wound loss is going to go up with this change due to lack of common sense and good ethical calls on the hunters part.

02-Jul-13
Considering that the majority of people that would actually shoot these lower poundages are likely beginners, the odds of them making perfectly placed shots does not seem high.

02-Jul-13
I think 30 is fine. We need more youth and women in hunting, and this helps that alot. Its all about the people teaching these new hunters respect and ethics.

03-Jul-13
Sounds like poor game management when you combine changes of reduced draw weight and increased shot distance(which results from baiting ban) It is obvious AZ does'nt like bow hunters, so they initiate these 2 changes to accumulate more statistical events of wounded and unrecovered animals.l'

04-Jul-13
I feel 30 pounds is to low unless you are sitting a blind over water or bait (not any more since the new ruling which I think scr__d the handy cap, the older or younger guys that can't walk very far due to feet,back, or some other health problem etc.) A 40 pound bow with a 22 inch draw is also scary...a thirty pound bow with a 29 inch draw should be enough. After all it's all about casting distance not as much about pounds...to a certain point.

06-Jul-13
Its a ploy to get more $$$$$$ the less someone can pull means the more people are putting in for the draw .. I didn't put my son in till he could pull his 40lbs.. And he has slacked on his practice and has trouble pulling it now. So he is sitting out on our cow hunt this year.. Your going to hear of guys putting there 3 year olds in because they can pull 15lbs... Just think of all the apps..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and less of a chance to draw.. Gonna have to go to Colorado and get an OTC to hunt elk...

21-Aug-13
How 'bout they try out a 35 pound minimum first. Although both sides have their merit, you have to error on what will ensure an ethical kill. Chances are, if you can't pull 40 lbs, you should maybe be out practicing on rabbits, predators, etc. to sharpen your skills.

22-Aug-13
I believe Elk is also now at 30#.

To take elk:

a. Centerfire rifles;

b. Muzzleloading rifles;

c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic black powder;

d. Centerfire handguns;

e. Handguns using black powder or synthetic black powder;

f. Shotguns shooting slugs, only;

g. Bows with a standard pull of 30 or more lbs, using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in width with metal cutting edges; and

22-Aug-13
Elk and bison require a minimum of 40 lb draw weight, it other big game that is at 30.

22-Aug-13
Where does it say 40#? The 2013/2014 regs show 30 for Elk and I didn't see a change in the amended regs.

22-Aug-13
Who would be hunting with a 30# bow? I think it would have to be a very small kid. My son has been shooting regularly since 5 and had his first 70lb bow when he was 11. It was down to 62 lbs when he shot his first animal with it that year and we agreed he would not shoot past 15 yards (Javelina). Although he was practicing and shooting well to 65 yards - shooting 3d's and shooting an animal is very different. I only have one boy and may be ignorant or maybe my son is a freak, but a 30lb bow to me = not enough practice for hunting.

Reminds me of other scenarios that I cannot grasp:

* shots on running animals * 100 yard shots * quartering - to shots

22-Aug-13
Wade, Your son is a freak! Lol.

I have 5 boys old enough to hunt and none of them have been strong enough to shoot a 40 pound bow until they were about 13. I shot daily as a kid an it took me till I was 12 to pull back 40. My wife can BARELY pull back 40 and started at 30 when she first started shooting.

I think 30 is about what most 10 and 11 year olds can reasonably handle.

22-Aug-13
Break a collar bone or wrist and 30# might be a stretch. It seems low to me for an Elk.

23-Aug-13
azbugler - like I said my ignorance can be overwhelming at times ;)

24-Aug-13
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

25-Aug-13
Wapiti Bob, I stand corrected, the regs show the 40 lb for buffalo, but do show 30 for elk... I thought when I had started the post I had read that elk was to be 40 as well. I dont know if they changed it, if the regs have a misprint, or I imagined it.

25-Aug-13
no prob. I think the 30# for Elk is on the low side myself. I can understand making it less restrictive for young/injured hunters but sometimes you just need to say "no". Then again, I have absolutely no evidence to support my opinion... Hit em in the wrong spot, 70# isn't enough.

04-Jan-15
It is all about shot placement. The animal will not know it it was killed by a 30 lb bow or a 70 lb bow if it is stuck in the right place with a good broadhead. There have been many thousand Buffalo that were killed with primitive bows with stone arrows that in some cases were less than a 30 lb pull.

• Sitka Gear