elkfulr 11-Nov-13
Z-man 12-Nov-13
elkfulr 13-Nov-13
elkfulr 13-Nov-13
Elkstuffer 21-Dec-13
Elkstuffer 21-Dec-13
elkfulr 05-Jun-14
03-Nov-13
So I drew a Entiat deer tag this year. Am hoping for snow but am ready I hope for any contingency. Chains for every corner of my Toyota PU. My bow and gear is pretty well dialed in. Just gotta find some deer - one with headgear..... I don't know the unit super well but am a little familiar with it. Any pointers from those more familiar with the unit would be appreciated.

04-Nov-13
I've seen a lot of deer back up in the hills behind Entiat, but never hunted it.

05-Nov-13
We drew archery buck tags last year and went five for five on dandy bucks. There was no or little snow but earlier weather pushed the deer down to lower levels.There were deer from the bottom (Hwy 97A) to the higher elevations. Get a good map of the unit and drive around till you see deer. Normally where you find does there will be bucks close by. Entiat is rugged and steep and is a challenge for any bowhunter with little to no cover in most places. Get on top and hunt down the draws and you will find deer. Leave a rig down below to avoid having to climb back up. We had to bone one buck out and dragged two up the ridge with a long rope, at least 300 feet would be good. Be prepared for the worst of driving conditions as the roads are nasty when the snow flies. 4 wheel drive and chains all around are a must. Wear white camo if it is snowing and they will never see you coming and most of all bring lots of arrows. Be prepard for average 50-70 yard shots. Good luck as you should have a hunt of a life time.

05-Nov-13
Thanks for the good comments!

08-Nov-13
Thanks Z. Sorry I've been distracted by non hunting stuff and haven't been back. Just to clarify, this is the archery tag I have. I'll be hunting solo but maybe have a friend along some times so might have a second rig. I'm scouting today n tomorrow so will hopefully familiarize myself with some of the turf.

10-Nov-13
Elkfuir

I sent you a private message. Did you get it?

10-Nov-13
Elkfuir

I sent you a private message. Did you get it?

11-Nov-13
Can't seem to find pm's on phone. I'll check on computer though. Saw three bucks that I would be happy with but no real whoppers. Spent most of my time driving but all the bucks I saw were on short hikes.

12-Nov-13
Send me your email address. The private message program is down and I had two messages rejected.

13-Nov-13
I had same prob trying to send my address to you by pm. I did see your message regarding your friends hunting too. Its all good.

I don't wanna post my email here tho:-)

13-Nov-13
Okay, found a work around. PM sent

21-Dec-13

21-Dec-13
How'd your hunt go elkfulr?

05-Jun-14
Geez, time flies. Have been busy fishing and stuff. I wound up with a 18"? 3 pt. I definitely saw some bigger bucks but I never saw any that the area has potential for. I just couldn't close the distance enough on the ones I did see. My buck came on the next to last day I had to hunt. Looking back, I think I should have spent more time up higher than I did. With little snow there were no concentrations of deer that I witnessed. But there were deer everywhere so no complaints. The buck I shot was at my max distance practicing with broadheads, was a very steep uphill shot so the Nikon angle compensation rangefinder was crucial! A pass through 69 yard shot and the buck went about 40 yards. Much of this area is like a moonscape, I'm glad I practiced and felt comfortable with the longer ranges because it seemed that I often could close the distance to the 70 yard(ish) range but then would get "stuck". There are options to the long shots if one were to concentrate their efforts in some of the areas with more cover. I spent a lot of time in the Oklahoma gulch area and that sucker is bare!

• Sitka Gear