DEERSHOOTER77 04-Feb-14
XMan 04-Feb-14
BuckSkinner 04-Feb-14
Tazman 04-Feb-14
MaBow 05-Feb-14
Jadams 06-Feb-14
DEERSHOOTER77 07-Feb-14
03-Feb-14
Hey Everyone! I have a situation with a taxidermy shop with a mount from November 2012. Every time I call to check on it he either ignores my call or I get I'm working on it and it should be done this week. I'm totally pissed off now and was wondering if anyone has some advise with these situations? I know it isn't unheard of for mounts to take some time but this is ridiculous!

03-Feb-14
I would stop by his shop and ask to see the progress. If he hasent started it yet I would ask him for your horns and hide and find someone else. Hopefully he has not lost your antlers.

03-Feb-14
If he said it should be done this week and didnt call I would call him again or better yet, show up at his door. Easy to blow someone off on the phone but not when they are in your face.

03-Feb-14
If he said it should be done this week and didnt call I would call him again or better yet, show up at his door. Easy to blow someone off on the phone but not when they are in your face.

03-Feb-14
Well I have done all of the above. I have stopped by his house. Same crap every time. The shop is Classic Taxidermy in Middleton. I think I might swing by again...

03-Feb-14
13 months isn't that long if he does great work.

Just ask him to give you an honest date and if he doesn't meet it as him if he will start to discount the mount so he puts skin in the game.

If he doesn't meet that date and isn't even close ask him to give you your hide and horns and go elsewhere.

03-Feb-14
Ha I saw that guy driving on RT1 last week. I never heard of that shop but he had a black truck with that name on the door. I would do like above and ask to see the progress.

03-Feb-14
Ha I saw that guy driving on RT1 last week. I never heard of that shop but he had a black truck with that name on the door. I would do like above and ask to see the progress.

03-Feb-14
MassBowNut,

I have a moose rack there, he is doing a European for me. My dad dropped it off to him in late Sept and when he did he told my dad that he was having trouble getting all the hides tanned as the factory was shutdown for some reason or another. My dad said the guy had hides stretched out all over his house. He said he was way behind this year because of it and he was working double time to catch up. I have no clue if thats true or not but thought I would pass what I know along.

XMan

03-Feb-14
Yeah it isn't 13 months its closer to 18 months Sage. Either way it bugs me. I went by his house again today and he wasn't home. I talked to his wife and she told me he had gone back to work. I guess he was out of work for a bit. He's a good guy and has done work for me before. It's just frustrating to get the run around so many times. She told me she would have him call me. Gave her my cell. If he can't commit to a date then I will get my bones and hide and go else where. Any recommendations for a new taxidermist?

03-Feb-14
Massbownut...I know who you are talking about. My buddy went through the same crap with him. When he got the.mount it looked like hell. He said if.my buddy didn't like it then he would redo it. Needless to say it went back. He waited over a year for his. He had 2 others done there one was good the other it looked like he put it on a doe form. The deer in body was actually bigger than the other. I think he is one of the only taxidermist around so I don't know if he is cutting corners in haste or what...but what I do know is he is busy right now.

03-Feb-14
Bob Watkins in Milbury. Does great work and i know several other guys on here use him as well.

04-Feb-14
PM Pat L, Bowsite owner. He uses a guy in CT that he says is very good. Easy ride for quality work.

04-Feb-14
The CT guy is Northeast Taxidermy - his work is phenominal.

http://northeasttaxidermy.com/

I have yet to use him but have talked to him a few times. I just haven't gotten anything locally for him yet.

04-Feb-14
Great to know where there are some good taxidermists out there. I am in the final bleaching stages of my European mount from this season. I wish I could have gotten a shoulder mount, but I just couldn't part with the cash. The European mount looks good and it will be all the more incentive to shoot a bruiser once I have more cash flow (anyone who is into exotic hunts and expensive toys should avoid graduate school). I hope this works out for you Massbownut. I know the feeling and it can feel like being held hostage. Hopefully the mount gets done soon and is quality work. I could certainly expect a discount. Hopefully the guy isn't on the site or he may decide that your deer should have a flat top haircut and that the antlers are getting in the way of his vision.

04-Feb-14
I hear you Woodman. He is a good guy who is def busy. I've seen his work and he does an excellent job. Did two nice mounts for a buddy of mine and both came out awesome. I am just tired of the run around. If he's that backed up then just keep me in the loop. Communication with me would end all the anxiety and frustration on my end! He's been telling me it will be done at the end of the week for 10 months!

04-Feb-14
Now this is a brutal topic, have had nothing but problems with taixidermists in this area, total nightmare. If they dont do it for a living, forget it....

04-Feb-14
my cousin had his buck done by northeasttax and it came out awesome, they do excellent work and have a great reputation.

04-Feb-14

BuckSkinner's embedded Photo
BuckSkinner's embedded Photo
Another world class taxidermist in CT is Wild Arts Taxidermy Studio in Berlin, Ct

04-Feb-14
Those are two amazing looking mounts

05-Feb-14
Wild arts is the taxidermist that Pat LEfemine uses not northeast.

06-Feb-14
Those are truly great looking mounts!

07-Feb-14
Sweet mounts...

• Sitka Gear