Cooking Wild Goat
Hawaii
Contributors to this thread:
Nicolai 11-Feb-14
Maui Rhino 15-Feb-14
Brian Howell 09-Aug-14
Ahualoa 01-Nov-14
11-Feb-14
I'm starting this topic because many people who hunt Hawaii or may hunt Hawaii for feral goats seem to not appreciate the meat. Fact is that goats stinks and on top of that, it is tough as nails …if you don't know how to prepare it properly.

There are three ways I know about to really make great goat dish. All have one thing in common. Don't let it dry out and use lots of spices to combat any goat odor. The odor is concentrated in the fat and tendons so removing those removes a lot of the bad odor. Papaya enzyme is very effective in tenderizing the meat.

1) If cooking in a sauté pan, cut it thin and cook it rare. As soon as you overcook goat, it will toughen up. But lightly cooked goat meat is delicious and simple.

2) Roasts: Cook it low and slow, and don't let it dry out. I just did a whole shoulder in the crockpot with lots of herbs, spices and oils. Delicious! And when done, I could cut it with a spoon! We added some sweet potato and had a decent little meal.

3) sausage: Again, if the meat smells, then you can add spices to mask it. And it might be beneficial to remove sinew and any fat. If a recipe calls for fat, add pork fat. However, I did do about 4 lbs of sausage patty today and left lots of fat and sinew- about 80/20 meat to other stuff. After adding the spices it tasted like portuguese sausage with no noticeable aftertaste.

4) Marinate. As kids, we used to marinate and smoke our goat meat. It was not at all bad. It's also a good way to combat the strong goat odor and can help tenderize the meat.

Judging a good eating goat: in general, the wetter the habitat, the better eating the goat. Look for a goat with full body mass without hip bones showing. The better habitat will have goats with small amounts of fat on them. Goats from poor habitat will have virally no fat at all. Nannies and young billies will be better eating of course. Old trophy billies may require extra care to combat the goat odor in order to make them edible, so hunter beware.

15-Feb-14
After debonng, whether in the field or at home, I wash it to remove as much dirt and hair as I can. Then I put the meat in the fridge in a large pot of water for at least 48 hours. I make sure to keep the meat covered with water, and change the water twice a day. This draws all the blood and stink out of the meat, and keeps it moist. After 48hrs, I will give it another wash, trim all the fat off, and package it for freezing. I have tried both salt water (brine) and fresh water, and prefer the fresh water, because then I am free to cook it however I choose later, without the salty brine affecting the taste.

09-Aug-14
The simpler solution is just to marry a pretty Filipino girl who makes a mean caldereta kambing...

01-Nov-14
Brian: your suggestion is cute but I need more help since I'm already married to an Okinawan guy (Gonna check out a recipe for caldereta kambing tho!). But Nicolai, any chance you can share your recipe, including spices, for the sausage you made. That would be awesome. Rough idea would be fine. Thx!

• Sitka Gear