Redclub 21-Mar-14
Bullwinkle 21-Mar-14
Tweed 10-Aug-17
booner 13-Aug-17
CaptMike 13-Aug-17
South Farm 14-Aug-17
Jeff in MN 14-Aug-17
18-Mar-14
Cannot say I have ever seen anything like this before - City leasing out city property for hunting?

It's a steal at 118 acres for 5,000.00 dollars for the year! Comes out to just about $42.00/acre if my math is correct.

Should that be left open for public hunting? What do you think?

(See below)

"The City of Greenwood, Clark County Wisconsin has 118 acres of hunting land available for lease. The land is described as; SW 1/4 of the NW 1/4, Section 33, Township 27 North, Range 2 West, NW 1/4 of the SW 1/4, Section 33, Township 27 North, Range 2 West, SW 1/4 of the SW 1/4, Except the South 41 feet for highway right-of-way, Section 33, Township 27 North, Range 2 West. A map and copy of the lease terms and conditions are available upon request. The lease amount will be $5000.00 and the term of the lease is from April 1, 2014 until March 31, 2015. If interested please contact Greenwood City Hall at 715-267-6205"

19-Mar-14

Huntcell 's Link
Never heard a goverment body leasing land as such.

You say good deal 42 an A ??? Boy I guess hunting is becoming a rich mans sport

Be good deal if can sell off some grain crops if it has plantable acreage

Maybe this gets other public lands leased also

How that attachment get on here?????

19-Mar-14
In a time of tightening city budgets this is one way to get some revinue but I certainly don't like it. I bet the ters of the lease come with all kinds of insurance requirments also.

19-Mar-14
I wonder if the land is open to the public for non hunting activities. I can see conflicts happening although maybe not all that different than controlled hunts on other public lands like county parks.

19-Mar-14
Need a lot more info? Do they want to limit hunters? Is it a residential area? 5 hunters at $1000 each is not real bad for good land? Scary part is this a trend such as County land which is huge in Northern Wi.

19-Mar-14
Good idea in my opinion, revenue is revenue!

19-Mar-14
$42/ acre is far from a steal unless its all woods and is an area that produces mature bucks. Having one partner in leasing is fine, four others would be a problem.

19-Mar-14
horrible idea, this is not what county lands are for and supposed to be "public". Will set a terrible precedent. If people think the woods are crowded now in the central part of the state wait till county's lease their lands up north. As I'm typing this isn't making sense, must be a special circumstance

19-Mar-14
$40/acre is the going rate in central Wisconsin for decent hunting land which falls short or paying the taxes btw. Cities are going to generate revenue. No idea what the random video is doing here. I do know the "how to bring your legal Mt. lion kill" into Ca. is about 5 seconds long.

19-Mar-14
I was "toungue in cheek" when I wrote 42.00/acre - I thought that was high! The few leases I looked at averaged 25 an acre.

I just thought it was weird that a City was leasing out hunting land.

Would or could their be any civil liability to the city for any accidents that occurred on the property since they are charging a fee? I know that there would not be if the property was simply "open" to the public!

Jeff brings up a good question as well!

19-Mar-14
Cities already have major GLC policies. I know the Wisconsin hold harmless landowner law is negated once You charge over 2k for any recreation. Cities/counties can pass ordinances as they wish. You can't shine in Buffalo county for instance.

19-Mar-14
I can't see anyone would be interested if it was open to the public for activities. 20/ acre is a fair price when most of the landowners are renting out ag land also.

19-Mar-14
I know villages, townships, cities can pass ordinances.

However, civil liability regading any injury on the property would be open season.

I am also aware of the landowner exclusion, which in this case would not apply.

Perhaps Duke, our bowsite legal eagle would care o chime in?

19-Mar-14
" 20/ acre is a fair price" That's relative to market demand. The 2 farmers across the street thought my ag land@$75/acre was "fair". 3 other farmers a few miles away were fighting over $175/acre.

19-Mar-14
I just can't believe guys will pay $40/$50 acre when I only pay a fraction of that. I also cut wood and lend a hand around the farm. Why doesn't the city just sell that land if they don't want the public to use it? What is 5 grand to them?

19-Mar-14
A few years back Tigerton lumber Co. was leasing land for $3200 for 80 acres. Folks screamed and cursed them as it was always open.Tigerton point 4 hunters at $800 for hunting deer for 4 months a month of turkey hunting, fishing and small game. Surely that is worth $800. I tend to agree. A person spends thousands for equipment and want private land for peanuts. I know not the same but kinda as it was MFL

19-Mar-14
LOcation, location, location. A piece of land in a proven trophy area is definitely worth a lot more than an average piece. Private vs public land surrounding piece also a big factor,. I have noticed some pretty decent pieces for about $25/ acre.

19-Mar-14
This is the first time I have seen a govermant agency involved in a lease...what ever the cost...I find it very interesting. I went on the City website and there is no mention.

19-Mar-14
Bad idea! Tax payers already have a huge investment in the property. It belongs to the public and should be open to the public. The jerk that came up with this is big on privatization and should have his nuts put in a vice.

20-Mar-14
Redclub, Tigerton is up to $45/acre. $1800/40.

Last I heard 140" min 8ptr, 150" for 10 ptr. $25/" fine for any buck not meeting minimum.

Like everyone in the area, last years antler growth was horrible. This year feels like it is going to be a repeat. There could be some dandy old bucks around when we get a mild winter again.

20-Mar-14
Redclub, Tigerton is up to $45/acre. $1800/40.

That is getting up there. Probably covers there taxes

20-Mar-14
I believe they rolled it all into MFL closed and won in court to keep the lease agreements since they had them before the change. Their taxes should be in the $8/acre range

21-Mar-14
Really I didn't know that they could do that,I know they want to change the law to allow it.

21-Mar-14
The judge grandfathered them. Huge income stream - If I remember right over $300K/yr

10-Aug-17
Bump

13-Aug-17
Guys think $40 an acre is to much, try buying good land, now put food plots in, wait now you have to spray. figure that out ,way more than $40 an acre on the year.

13-Aug-17
Federal lands are leased all the time, particularly in the west. Why is this so surprising to see a government agency involved in leasing land?

14-Aug-17
I think it won't cover their liability insurance...surprised they're even doing it.

14-Aug-17
A million dollar liability policy does not cost all that much. We bought one this year, worth checking into. Covers all the properties that we own.

• Sitka Gear