Contributors to this thread:
bamaman 22-Apr-14
Buckfvr 22-Apr-14
Bowhuntin 22-Apr-14
bamaman 22-Apr-14
Yendor 22-Apr-14
Buckfvr 22-Apr-14
22-Apr-14
Hi fellow bowhunters, I just moved to Milton,Wa. from Alabama in Febuary. my wife was transferred to a job in federal way so i retired and moved up here. First of all i'd like to say that this is beautiful country and everyone I've met so far is as nice as they could be. I've been bowhunting whitetail for over 35yrs and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at blacktail,mulies, and especially elk.I'm looking for any information I can get on hunting in the area. I'm in pretty good shape and dont mind walking so I'll be doing a lot of scouting this summer but any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

22-Apr-14
On WDFW site, 2013 harvest reports are up so you can kind of look over success rates for the animals you are interested in to get an idea where you want to start............Id reccommend a road trip to look over as much general area as you can, see what you're actually up to/for. Best whitetail is 6 hours away, whether you opt north east or south east. Ive hunted both and live in the north east and believe it to be much better.

My guess is you can easily find a retired partner with some secret spots to share, that can take you for a look see.........good luck !!!! and welcome.

22-Apr-14
Welcome to the state, as far as hunting elk goes you are going to have to pick what side of the state you want to hunt. The west side or the east side. Assuming you are going to bowhunt the timing of the season can be a problem on the west side if you hunt timber company property, the companies close property down due to fire danger. The west side has branch antler opportunity over the counter. Lots of elk in SW Washington. The east side is drier but you have to draw a branch antler tag. General season is spike and cow in most units. A couple hours drive from Milton over highway 410 will put you into east side units, which are outside Yakima. Around Ellensburg is another popular area off I90 on the east side for elk. There is also opportunity for elk in the NE part of the state though people are pretty tight lipped about locations in that part of the state. The Blues also offer opportunity is a tough draw for branch antler elk, but the bulls that come out of there can be huge.

Another great source of information and place to ask questions is hunting-washington.com

22-Apr-14
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. This is all new to me, a whole different style of hunting. I recently joined tacoma sportsmans club to have a place to shoot and meet local hunters. I'm picking everyone's brains trying to get as much info as i can. Can't wait to get in the woods! Once again, this is beautiful country!

22-Apr-14
Welome Archie: This is a much differetn state than you are used to. We have a much bigger variety of animals to hunt, and lots of public land. But the state is not real favorable to us bowhunters. Trust, me we have opportunities, but not nearly as long of seasons as almost all states. You can also look back on threads for the past 3-4 years, as we have welcomed other newcomers to the state. I have been on the Bowsite since the beginning, and am a little embarrassed about the amount of traffic on the Washington state site. It used to be really active with lots of info. There are plenty of possiblilites for hunting elk in the state. You won't find too many record book bulls, but they are getting better. Choosing east side vs west side is tough. Easier to get a branched antlered bull tag west side, but tough steep, and thick hunting. Quite a few areas close to Milton. Finding your honey hole takes time and patience. Black tails are all over your area, and Mulies east of the mountains can be nice sized, especially during the late hunt when they are rutting. Increasing number of Whitetails in the state, and within a dozen years, they will probably be on the west side. If you have specific questions fire personal notes to any of us and we will help you out. I live up in Duvall, and have bowhunted the state for about 28 years. I have gotten 15 elk, with one nice 6x6 2 years ago. Last year was Moose in BC, and hopefully I will get a moose tag this year in Washington. I have max points. Good luck and keep in touch.

22-Apr-14
Whitetail in the north east is tree stand hunting, and Im sure you are well versed in that..........

• Sitka Gear