TradTony 13-Jul-14
IdyllwildArcher 19-Jul-14
TradTony 20-Jul-14
TradTony 21-Jul-14
elkmtngear 22-Jul-14
IdyllwildArcher 22-Jul-14
DL 23-Jul-14
08-Jul-14
Any body going out in A zone this weekend for an early season hunt? I haven't purchased my tag yet because I'm undecided on the region I want to go. Will be hunting public land only, let me know if anyone is interested.

08-Jul-14
A is enormous Are you talking north or south

09-Jul-14
Dang skippy I'm heading out for the opener. I always hunt the opener because I hunt AO and one special draw. Either sex or a coveted tag like A20 which I drew. Yeahhhhh, Buaaabbbyyyy.

09-Jul-14
Im leaving out of san francisco. So im Open to anywherr in a 3-5 hour drive.

13-Jul-14
We hit the local area in Agoura Hills. Nothing. Not even a doe or fawn. On a whim, we went to Figueroa Mtn. for the evening. Grip of does but not even a spike. Bowhunters relayed that a forky was taken that morning but other than that, no other bucks were seen. The moon was big and bright so that sometimes affects the bucks behavior. I'm gonna stay local for the time being unless my "spot" dies out. Anyone else head out this weekend?

Tony

P.S. Shot a rattler. Gonna make snake salad. Like tuna salad sans the tuna.

13-Jul-14

TradTony's embedded Photo
Wow, I can't believe how Calif is hardly ever thought of as a state to be reckoned as hunting. Not even mediocre hunting. I googled it and the only state that comes close to an early season hunt was Florida. Late July. Not sure about Hawaii. Us Californians have had opening day for "A" Zone Archery Deer on the second Sat in July. Since I've been hunting deer and before. Anyhoo... Calif's Archery A Zone deer season opened yesterday (7/12/2014) so far as I know, only one buck was taken out of the two areas that I hunted. It was hot, the moon was bright and the bucks were incognito. Many does but not in the first area we hunted. Preseason scouting revealed 4 resident bucks but nowhere to be found yesterday. We eeked out there and headed for Santa Barbara. Not that many hunters. I took a rattlesnake. Rattlesnake salad is pretty good. I'm hoping to post a successful picture and have a full freezer before the zone closes, 7/12/2014 - 9/21/2014. Any other Californians or Non- Residents (ha) go out this weekend?

13-Jul-14

19-Jul-14
Why are you worried about which tag to buy? An AO tag allows you hunt all A, B, and D zones during the archery and general seasons with a bow. Unless, of course, you're planning on hunting the general season with a gun.

IMO, it's kind of an automatic for the 2nd tag... You can hunt Southern California for 4.5 months on that tag.

20-Jul-14

I went out this weekend and we have 3 bucks who frequent the area. One is a very nice tall tined fork, the is a wide deep fork but not too tall, but big bodied, the other is 2x1. I'm sorry to say that the 3x3 who was hanging out was bagged by a Mercedes Benz SLE. Hopefully the does carried his genetics to this year's fawns.

21-Jul-14

Another buck taken by vehicular deerslaughter. I don't understand. These deer are being struck by the same people who protest deer hunting. And get this, a lot of these anti hunters are pro choice individuals. Since when is an animal's life more precious than a human life.

22-Jul-14
Damn...hate seeing that!

22-Jul-14
Yeah, a few years ago, there was a massive buck in my area, one of the biggest I'd seen, dead on the side of the road from a vehicle collision - such a shame. For does too, since they often are completely wasted and go to the landfill.

23-Jul-14
I think more deer get killed by vehicles here than hunters. November is a slaughterhouse on hwy 50 in November.

• Sitka Gear