bohunner 16-Jul-14
Greg Kush 17-Jul-14
Active Shooter 17-Jul-14
bohunner 17-Jul-14
Greg Kush 17-Jul-14
Fulldraw1972 28-Jul-14
bohunner 01-Aug-14
16-Jul-14
What were the total Whitetail harvest numbers from last year? Also, what are the thoughts/reasons behind opening the archery season on the 1st of September? Without knowing the logic behind, it seems very odd. Tony

16-Jul-14
Over 18 thousand bonus antlerless tags were removed. Statewide buck permit eliminated. Late antlerless season shortened to 15 days(should save some shed horn bucks). Some other harvest quotes increased in areas too.

Still don't know why the bow season moved up to Sept. 1st. Sound like someone with some pull wanted to kill a velvet buck.

17-Jul-14
Actually, about 3 or 4 years ago, the Nebraska Bowhunters Association initially approached the Game and Parks about moving up the opener to September 1st. It most likely was going to initially happen last year, but it got pushed back a year due to the EHD breakout the previous year.

It will have a minimal effect on deer harvest as many bowhunters will not start hunting that early, but several NBA members are excited about the increased possibility of getting a shot at that summer-patterned buck before he changes his habits. So many times, a buck that is still hitting the beans in the first few days of September will no longer be visiting those fields by the 15th as they start turning brown. Also, buck behavior tends to change after the shedding of velvet and we have all seen how a good portion of the bucks are still in velvet on the 1st, but hardly any are in velvet by the 15th. The NBA leadership was just sort of checking the waters a few years back (due to member feedback indicating there was interest in moving up the opener) when the inquiry was made and were pleasantly surprised when G&P officials were open to the idea. At that time, it was also pointed out to the G&P that this would also be well received by Nebraska bowhunters who would be able to bowhunt deer while on trips to hunt grouse and/or doves on those September 1st openers.

If any other NBA members who were more closely involved in the process (specifically Bryce Lambley and Rich Walters) want to correct any of my comments above or add any details, please do so. I think what I have written is pretty close to the actual history on the deer opener being moved up.

17-Jul-14
Greg covered it pretty well. What I can add is that over the past 20ish years, the number of archery-only days for deer in Nebraska (it used to be 99) has been eroded by the introduction of the blackpowder season and then its dramatic expansion. Throw in late rifle season and some early antlerless gun seasons, and the number of archery-only days had deteriorated by almost half. There really isn't much room (or reason) to gain back archery-only days except at the beginning of the season since antler drop is getting underway in January, so the NBA asked that an earlier season opener be considered. The NGPC was open to the idea, harkening back to the recreational days afield phrase we used to hear so much about in the 70's and 80's.

I'm sure a number of Nebraska bowhunters don't see this as anything exciting--probably many of the same bowhunters who don't start on Sept. 15th either (and when I hunted Iowa I was curious that many folks did not start hunting Oct. 1 there)--but to each their own. Some instead wait for crops to be harvested, bugs to die out, colder weather, etc. That's certainly their prerogative. But for others willing to get out early there are positives in addition to the summer patterning/soybeans turning brown thing that Greg mentioned...there two additional weekends for families to find outdoor time with youths in the fall (who often are involved in football and other sports making it harder to get afield). In most years it will also ensure a three-day Labor Day weekend where bowhunting can be added to the options afield. It might also allow that weekend to be used for archery antelope AND deer, something one could not do previously.

I'd have to more carefully look at my trail camera archives, but it seems to me that Aug. 25-Sept. 5 is pretty much the height of velvet shedding, with perhaps 5-10% of bucks still sporting velvet at Sept. 15, but by Sept. 20 almost none. And it seemed most bucks still with velvet were small (the largest I've ever seen was a 105-110"er with velvet, and I've ALWAYS hunted the opening week hard since '81). I'm less intrigued by that than simply having some additional days.

There will be almost no biological impact with the earlier start, but it does yield additional recreational opportunity for those who want to use it. There are a handful of states with earlier openers than Sept. 15 (ND I believe is one), and the NGPC may have considered that, just like they did years ago in moving the pheasant opener up a week earlier than the old traditional first weekend in November.

17-Jul-14
Thanks for info and the history, I have always been accustom to a 01 October opener (Michigan), I thought that even the 15 September opener was a little early. But It's nice to have the option. As a rule, I wait towards the end of September anyway. Those cooler nights and early autumn cold fronts are more than I can bare. I have always had good luck during the new Moon in late September. Thanks for the info. Tony

17-Jul-14
Could have had a shot at a large early patterned buck two years ago if the sesaon had opened on Sept 1st.

Had him on game camera on Sept 10th. Hunted him the first three days of the season Sept 15th -18th. Found him on the 19th dead of EHD and probably died betweeen Sept 10 and the 15th. He was just starting to rub his velvet when he died.

17-Jul-14
bohunner,

I believe I saw a photo of that buck with you holding it. If that is the same one, he was huge and it's a shame he went out that way.

28-Jul-14
The first thing I thought about with a September 1st opener is a combo antelope deer hunt.

2 years ago while I was antelope hunting I had a really nice muley buck at 20 yards. Sure would have been nice to have season open for him.

Not to mention the beans on the ground I hunt will have bucks on them labor day weekend.

Ne is a 2 buck state. If I get one early in September then I can be more picky during the rut.

01-Aug-14
You are correct Greg that was the one. I should correct my prior post to say could have "Tried to Shoot" a large early pattered buck.

It's never a layup with a bow and a big buck.

• Sitka Gear