Granite 25-Oct-14
Billincamo 26-Oct-14
Brun 26-Oct-14
RogBow 19-Nov-14
tradi-doerr 19-Nov-14
rsw 27-Nov-14
Billincamo 27-Nov-14
05-Oct-14
In all the years I have bow hunted I never really thought about all the different weapons archers carry when in the woods, that is, until I started shooting a newer compound. Well, truth be told it was not my compound, but a bow my hunting partner had recently purchased. I started archery at the age of 5 with a compound and hunted/shot compound until the ripe age of 14. At that point I started using wood bows and to this day I only shoot wood bows. I enjoyed the intimacy of shooting a bow, almost as an artist enjoys their trade. I was fortunate enough to have the space to shoot daily and hone my skills to perfection. In recent years I have become fond of shooting targets at several hundred yards to understand the trajectory of each unique bow and the arrow that it flings. While I usually practice at 60 yards I would only take this shot in a hunting situation if every detail was perfect. I archery hunt because of the intimacy, the practice, the art, and the meat it puts on my table. This season while in the elk woods we began stump shooting around camp when we decided it would be fun to swap bows and continue on with our friendly competition. Now I held a heavy foreign object in my hand (a brand new mathews with a 65 pound draw) that was sighted in and shot by someone with 2 inches longer draw than myself. In his hand he held a 1956 bear with a 60 pound draw. We set a can at 60+ yards and he told me I should start. I drew the bow put the pin on target and whack the can was toast. He replied by stating, "good shooting". Throughout our shoot I hit my target, even out to 80 yards. Remind you I had not shot a compound in over a decade, but my this was not the compound from the 90's. This bow was easier to shoot than the muzzleloader I often hunt with. It made archery easy. There was no intimacy or art. It was simply point and shoot. After my recent experience I have decided that I will never hunt with a compound. If I want to hunt that way I will simply use a rifle. This is not archery, this is technology. I am sorry if I come across as offensive, but when will we decide enough is enough and start restricting the weapons we use and call bows? The modern compound is faster and more accurate than the modern crossbow, yet we debate their rise daily. Why can't we put are foot down and keep archery what it is, an art?

05-Oct-14
These new compounds today are also short from top to bottom. My bear whitetail was huge that I shot 30 years ago. I guess that's what you can do with huge wheels. I can imagine they will continue to get bigger and bigger.

05-Oct-14
MountainManiac, in many ways I agree with you, I have and still do hunt with both, mostly my trad-gear. even though compounds are easier to shoot doesn't make it any easier to hunt the animals we hunt, and the evidence/facts I came into this year proves just that, just because you can shoot further doesn't mean you should, but many will argue that till their death.

06-Oct-14
Shooting a compound bow is easy? I have been shooting these things for 40 years and it has never been easy for me! I met more than a few archery purist who hacked down Osage Orange trees, hand fashion bow string out of some sort of natural materials, animal gut or some sort of fiber, cut their arrows from some sort of tree, used actual turkey feathers from a particular wing of a turkey for their fletch, napped flint for broad heads and then stalked to ten yards to cleanly harvested big game. My hat is off to these people. I truly respect their skills, dedication and devotion to their particular venue of archery. When I was young a wise beyond his years person, (Wilson from Ohio was his name) gave me some sage advice and that was “just because I can do something does not mean that you can do what I do”. Each person needs to come to know themselves and know what their individual capacity and limitations. The fact that somebody handed you, a highly skilled archer who knows about having the correct stance, form, anchor point, sight picture, breathing, release, follow through, his perfectly tuned bow with matched arrows, broad heads or field points and you could hit a target at however many yards really does not give credit to the craft and skills involved in using, maintaining and taking game humanly with a compound bow. You choose traditional, that is your individual choice. My choice is the best compound bow, the best arrows and the best broad heads that I can afford when hunting game. I practice out to 100 yards with my compound but limit shoots at elk to less than 40 yards and deer less than 30 yards. What are your limits for your tradition set up, 30 for elk and 20 for deer?

06-Oct-14
MountainManiac- Got any pics of you and your successes?

06-Oct-14
I've missed gimme shots with both! Nothing is a slam dunk and I can't for the life of me figure out why your worried about what other folks shoot as long as it's legal!

06-Oct-14
You're so special, MountainManiac.

06-Oct-14
Another pompous traditional A-hole. Not all of them but some of them for sure.

06-Oct-14
a compound is easier to shoot than a trad bow way less practice, thats why more people shoot them

06-Oct-14
Coolest guy in the room....

06-Oct-14
This guy! There's a difference in shooting a compound and spending hours on the day perfecting your shot! If you truly think compound shooting is like rifle hunting you sir are delusional.

06-Oct-14
Two approaches to get folks interested in traditional archery.

Way #1:

"Thats an amazing bow! Incredible how nice these new compounds shoot. Here, try a shot with my old Bear Kodiak."

*Twang..."Thats fun but my family would starve if I used a recurve lol"

"You would be surprised. It can be harder to fill tags but lots of trad guys end up taking quite a few animals. Its pretty cool to walk up on your first trad kill. Heck, most of the time we're just bow-hiking anyway and these things are light!"

"Would be fun to try - just so little free time I'm afraid I wouldn't do it justice, plus I really enjoy my compound. Even though it shoots great, its still pretty challenging to fill the freezer. Trad bows are fun to shoot though"

"I here ya. If you ever want to mess with trad, I have a bow you are welcome to borrow. Have great hunt and I hope you get a nice one"

"Thanks! You too".

Way #2:

"Your compound is just like shooting a rifle. You aren't a real bowhunter. You should be shooting trad gear and get with us real bowhunters"

"Aahh...yeah. Thanks. Sounds like a real fun bunch to hang with (?), but I think I'm pretty well set for now"

Please use something closer to #1.

06-Oct-14

CObowhunter's embedded Photo
CObowhunter's embedded Photo

06-Oct-14
MountainManiac - I'll go easy on you. I think your intention was likely conversational, but your wording was lacking.

Your comment could be said for muzzleloaders, archers, and rifle hunters. All three have seen advanced technology making longer shots easier.

For many, it is great fun to practice a long range and using the new technology is a hoot.

However, I don't think technology has increased the range of most kills with any weapon. Most archery elk still shot in the 25 yard range. Success rates remain extremely low. Most of us do more "archery hiking", than archery killing.

Glunt was nice enough to rephrase the tone of your post into maybe a way you wanted it stated. Dead Eye nailed the answer to your question, most will shoot what is easiest. Thus there are way more rifle hunters than archers or muzzleloaders.

06-Oct-14
" It made archery easy".

Nothing to hard about sitting in a tree stand, or water hole blind either. I think lots of trad guys use tree stands - shouldn't they just pick up a rifle because a tree stand makes it easy?? No more turkey hunting with trad gear in a blind...way to easy. What is "art" about sitting in a tree or a blind?

06-Oct-14
I have a new hero...

06-Oct-14
Mountainmaniac, I think you should put down your recurve and throw an atlatl, I hear it's more artistic...or at least spend your extra time over on the Leatherwall, they'll love you over there...

06-Oct-14
Alatal??? To easy good Lord you might as well lead them down the chute at the slaughterhouse...real men jump on and choke thier prey to death

06-Oct-14
He did say the bow was 2" too long for him. Sounds like short man syndrome.

I loved this line and with a "wood bow" no less - "I have become fond of shooting targets at several hundred yards" that would be 300 yards plus!!

06-Oct-14
Ouch tough crowd!!!!

06-Oct-14
No room for purists or elitists around here. Go toot your horn somewhere else.

06-Oct-14
Still waiting on the pics!

07-Oct-14
I can see your point, but don't agree 100%, only because it's your personal freedom to choose which type of bow to shoot. If you decide to shoot traditional that's your choice. I also shoot traditional, but it's my choice. I don't derail someone hunting with a compound, or even a crossbow as long as their choice is legal. I will say though that as archery equipment technology evolves, it will put season length and available tag numbers in jeopardy. Most game departments still consider archery/ muzzleloaders as primitive gear and base liberal season/bag limits on this. I see that changing as the newer archery equipment has a range close to muzzleloader rifles in the right hands.

08-Oct-14
Mounted Maniac,

You are everything that is wrong with archery. That is all. Divided we fall...

08-Oct-14
I shoot a compound because I could not get accurate enough after a full year of shooting a recurve. Loved it a lot but I couldn't see shooting at a live animal and not having confidence in my abilities. I think all types of archery are cool, well maybe not Xbows but power to you if you are a great archer just don't knock my style of archery!!

08-Oct-14
Because my shoulder gets sore from my atlatl.

09-Oct-14
If you think shooting a compound is easy, you should try it with a case of target panic. It will quickly become one of the hardest things you ever do.

09-Oct-14
It's even harder if you have an inflated head/ego...tough to find a consistent anchoring point!!!

09-Oct-14
why have a car instead of a horse. why use an m-16 instead of a Kentucky long rifle.? I have recurve and compound bows and I enjoy shooting both.

09-Oct-14
So let me get this straight. You have not shot a compound for over 10 years. You shoot a friends compound out to 60 and 80 yards and hit a can on your first shots. Right! A trash can maybe. A compound bow is sighted in for the individual owner. Because of different anchor points, peep sight placement etc most often you cannot pick up some other persons compound and shoot it accurately right off the bat. So I don't think I believe your story. Also using a muzzle loader is way easier then a compound bow. I could have shot several big 6x6's during muzzle loader season with a muzzle loader. But I was bow hunting and could not quite get to my 50 yard limit. Your post sounds like a paragraph from a fiction book.

09-Oct-14
I'll assume you are earnest, so I will give you a sincere answer. I hunt with the weapon that matches my abilities and the level of challenge that I want. I quit hunting with a rifle when it became too easy. When hunting with a compound bow becomes too easy, I will go trad. But frankly, I'm not sure that day will ever arrive. After 28 years of hunting with a compound, killing an elk with one is still the most challenging thing I do.

I assume every other hunter has made their decision the same way, whether they hunt with rifle, muzzy, or spear, and I do not judge them.

10-Oct-14
This post is BS. Who shoots at a can with a compound? Sounds like a good way to break a $10 arrow wether you hit it or not.

10-Oct-14
Firsty...you8 might be right now we have two reasons to kill him ;)

10-Oct-14
I'd shoot at cans with somebody else's arrows! Especially if they are shooting my longbow and I'm shooting their compound! My arrows would probably be safe;-)

10-Oct-14
I'm starting to think he abandoned this thread, maybe the booz or drugs wore off.

10-Oct-14
Maybe it was "and" not "or" BowKill!

10-Oct-14
Maybe it was "and" not "or" BowKill!

11-Oct-14
"maybe the booz or drugs wore off."

Why can't it be both?

CANNONBALL!!!

12-Oct-14
Mountain maniac has been awful quiet, maybe he was so drunk he passed out and choked on his own vomit. He had to drink that much to think he could pick up someone else's bow that was 2" to long in draw length, not sight it in and hit cans at 80 yards. I'll be the one to say it, Mountain maniac your full of shi_, and a lot of it. I'm willing to bet him $100 if he shows up with his own compound bow that is sighted in he couldn't hit a can at 80 yards. Anytime you want an easy $100 come on down to Colorado Springs with your bow. If you don't have one I will supply one that is tuned and set to your draw length and give 15 shots to sight it in. Then you can try the can at 80 yards for $100. It's a dam shame people are always trying to get bowhunters to bicker over equipment instead of anti hunters trying to take your rights away. It wouldn't surprise me if Mountainmaniac is really an anti hunting, tree hugging democrat trying to destroy the sport we all love.

12-Oct-14
Now don't sugarcoat it Bill!

12-Oct-14
I shoot a compound bow also. I'm sure there are good reasons that some folks shoot recurves, but I have tried it in the past. Never really had an interest. Probably because I was never good at it. I do shoot with fingers instead of a mechanical release though.

12-Oct-14
Well put Bill.

I'm a compound fan but do admire the occasional trad shooter that can hit the vitals in a 3-D target from the stake with every shot.

12-Oct-14
Git'em Bill!

14-Oct-14
Why a long bow? Why not just pick up a rock or sharpen a stick. Why do you have to use a new fangled thing with a string and arrows??

Do you still use flint arrowheads?

14-Oct-14
Why use a rangefinder? why use Binoculars? Why use anything that makes you a better Archer, Marksman, Hunter? Oh I guess that answers that.

15-Oct-14
Flint arrowheads aren't legal in CO.

21-Oct-14
Thanks for the replies. I posted this in order to invoke thought. I wanted to see what other archers had to say about it. I do not condone those who choose to shoot the modern compound. I do however believe we should not restrict crossbow use if we keep allowing the technological advances in modern archery. I think it is crazy that we are not allowed to use lighted knocks and things of that nature, but other gizmos are allowed. If a compound was a superior weapon, I would be using one. I do not think it would help me in my pursuit. I choose a wood bow because it is a far more effective weapon in the taking of game (for MY hunting style). I do believe archery is archery. We all need to stand together a enjoy the sport. "Mountain maniac has been awful quiet, maybe he was so drunk he passed out and choked on his own vomit. He had to drink that much to think he could pick up someone else's bow that was 2" to long in draw length, not sight it in and hit cans at 80 yards. I'll be the one to say it, Mountain maniac your full of shi_, and a lot of it. I'm willing to bet him $100 if he shows up with his own compound bow that is sighted in he couldn't hit a can at 80 yards. Anytime you want an easy $100 come on down to Colorado Springs with your bow. If you don't have one I will supply one that is tuned and set to your draw length and give 15 shots to sight it in. Then you can try the can at 80 yards for $100. It's a dam shame people are always trying to get bowhunters to bicker over equipment instead of anti hunters trying to take your rights away. It wouldn't surprise me if Mountainmaniac is really an anti hunting, tree hugging democrat trying to destroy the sport we all love."

I would gladly take you up on this offer Bill. Contact me, I live close and have a bow. Would be more fun to use your bow though. :)

21-Oct-14
I would love to see some video of that shoot off.

22-Oct-14
Don't be an archery snob. You can carry this "purist" thing too far.

Do you make your own bow and arrows? If not, then you're not a purist. If you do make your own bow and arrows do you use modern tools to make them and modern materials, like fiberglass and metal broadheads? If so, you're not a purist. And how do you get to where you hunt? I hope you walk or ride a horse and not one of those fancy trucks or cars, that would be cheating, right?

See what I mean? Where does it stop.

I started with a recurve 45 years ago and went to compound as I got older and tore my rotator, so the stick bow was out of the question.

In CT we can only shoot about 30 yards because of the thick woods, so getting close is a necessity, not dependent on the weapon of choice, so that's the real challenge and not the hunting implement you're using.

22-Oct-14
Another vote for some video footage!

22-Oct-14
VIDEO BABY VIDEO>>.words are cheap...

22-Oct-14
Moutainmaniac

this is a real, honest attempt to help you out,.....change your handle on the site, you're leaving yourself open with that name.

I do understand what you're saying, but I think the way you worded sounds a bit pompous. I have the same problem at times with emails.

22-Oct-14
Do the challenge! Likely outcome (regardless of how great or bad the shooting is) would be some guys getting together, without the odd dynamic the internet adds to communicating, realizing they are pretty like-minded on a lot of things and having a fun afternoon. Then post it up here and folks can get back to internet chest thumping :^)

22-Oct-14
I've gotta see this!

24-Oct-14
I put mountain maniacs question on the Conn bowsite and boy did they respond, pretty the same as everyone did here.

Every single response was about the same - what difference does it make as long as it's legal??? You hunt your way and I'll hunt mine.

One guy compared it to fly fishermen looking down their noses at spincasters. Or, some said just use a sharp stick if you're so damn good.

We need to stick together fellow hunters, not divide each other.

24-Oct-14
"I choose a wood bow because it is a far more effective weapon in the taking of game (for MY hunting style)"

What? Seems like a rifle would be more effective than ANY bow, why bother with stick and string?

25-Oct-14
Mountainmaniac give me a call at (719)659-6144 and we'll schedule a day. I'd love to see you get it done. If you can do it I'll post a picture with me handing you a $100 bill.

25-Oct-14
Bill please let us know the day y'all schedule. I'm sure there's plenty on here who would come to the shop to see this lol!

25-Oct-14
Sometimes I express a simple opinion and no matter how true it is or how innocent, my wife gets insanely insulted, nagging on and on and on about it and always turns the subject back on me, somehow making a simple observation a never-ending slam on my character. Grow up, b!+(#es

26-Oct-14
Nobody is nagging. Most everybody is throwing the BS card down. Nobody I know can pick up someone else's bow that is 2" to long and sighted in for someone else then hit a can at 60 yards and continuously hit cans out to 80 yards without at least sighting it in. MountainManiac was not expressing an opinion but facts. He used fabricated story to insult compound shooters by saying there is no skill (art) involved in shooting anything but traditional bows. MountainManiac also said he shoots targets at several hundred yards with his recurve. If his target is the ground then he will hit it. "Several" is defined as more then two. So I am suppose to believe he hits targets with his 60 year old recurve at 300 to 400 yards. All of this spectacular shooting and MountainManiac hasn't touched a compound in 10 years. I'm sticking with my first thought that he is an anti hunter trying to turn bowhunters against bowhunters. Granite are you serious calling everyone on this forum "b!+(#es" is grown up.

26-Oct-14
I don't know if Mountain Maniac is an anti-hunter, but I don't believe his claims. I practice a lot with my compound and I couldn't hit a can consistently at 80 yards. I shoot a lot at a public range and I doubt anyone I have seen shooting there could do it either. I love to shoot any kind of bow and respect anyone who bow hunts. I would love to see an account of this contest if it ever occurs.

19-Nov-14
So what was the result

19-Nov-14
Mountain Maniac is on a permanent vacation, licking his wounds from the verbal lashing he received here,LOL. What did happen to the challenge?

27-Nov-14
100 to 1 this guy isn't even an archer and doesn't own a bow. Not even Tarzan is that good. If he really is a bowhunter, he is the one wounding all the deer the tree huggers complain over. I know a couple of highly competent stick bow shooters and they wouldn't contemplate a shot over 30 yards. Only an idiot, or really poor yardage estimator would even consider this fool's shot selections. As Bill said, he couldn't hit a can at 80 yards and I doubt if he could even come close to a barrel - likely not even with his black powder pop gun.

27-Nov-14
No results because he hasn't called or stopped by to take me up on the offer. I think his actions or lack of speak for themselves. Maybe he's to busy looking for his arrows that didn't hit the target. That should take him a while!

• Sitka Gear