BOWUNTR 18-Oct-14
DL 18-Oct-14
TradTony 20-Oct-14
BOWUNTR 20-Oct-14
Trad Tony 05-Nov-14
pwahuntn 19-Nov-14
DL 03-Dec-14
09-Oct-14
The lure of a San Gabriel Mountains wilderness teeming with wildlife, rivers and breathtaking panoramas is so strong that it now draws 3 million annual visitors whose presence, paradoxically, has overrun the region and degraded its beauty. President Obama will address that reality Friday by announcing that he is designating part of the mountains a national monument.

Over fierce opposition from some mountain communities, Obama will carve out roughly half of the Angeles National Forest to create the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument, officials said. The designation will give the U.S. Forest Service greater ability to manage the crowds and protect its natural wonders. As hunters this means NO HUNTING!!!!!

10-Oct-14
Educate yourself... there's nothing that says hunting will not be allowed... Ed F

11-Oct-14
I did educate myself. I spoke with an agent and even though it hasn't been stipulated Nat'l Monument rules and regulation usually corroborate with Nat'l Park. We've lost some prime hunting habitat locally because hunters didn't educate themselves and did things that allowed cities to pass ordinances that restrict us from hunting. Not shooting archery but hunting. Give it time and watch what happens in the San Gabriel Wilderness.

12-Oct-14
 "As hunters this means NO HUNTING!!!!!"

My point is.... your statement is not true... today. I won't argue with you about the fact that we lose hunting opportunities in California all the time. I know... I've been fighting this battle for close to 30 years. The only promise California has for hunters.... is that it will only get worse. Ed F

12-Oct-14
That just sealed up any chance of opening the area to sheep hunting tags in the future too. The scary part is Obama said he's not finished in doing what he just did.

12-Oct-14
Maybe not today but it is cooking. There is more going than we know. And the gist of it is that Reps and Legis are all local, from Westlake Village to Long Beach to the Foothills. They'll start off MRCA or "Natl Monuments" and end up as mini malls or condos. We're losing habitat fast!

12-Oct-14
I don't believe them - its Kalifornia ... but if essentially nothing is changing, why the declaration ?

Those who have said panning for gold, riding a mountain bike, fishing, hunting or hiking will be prohibited are misinformed, said Daniel Rossman, chairman of San Gabriel Mountains Forever, a group of businesses, clergy and environmental groups working for nearly a decade on both the NRA and now, the national monument designation.

“We will see better-maintained trails and signs in multiple languages,” he said.

Some worry that the U.S. Forest Service would charge to enter the forest, in addition to the existing Adventure Pass Program which costs $5 per day or $30 a year.

“All of those fears are not founded,” he said.

13-Oct-14
We've been lied to too many times about such things. If things aren't going to change why change it? When we have BLM land where I live that we aren't allowed to hunt because groups horsemans associations Fear for there safety I don't believe any of what they say. IT WILL CHANGE! Just give them time. One way to block off lots of average is to either plant some endangered species of plants or transplant some species of insect.

13-Oct-14
We've always turned the other cheek when things like thid occur. I speak not out opinion but experience. We lost prime hunting habitat because certain preservation issues were pressed only to reneg on what was promised. Y'all want to believe that it's a good thing? Wait for the NIMBY syndrome.

18-Oct-14
So what are you doing about it? Are you a member of the California Bowmen Hunters? Or any other organizations that fight for hunters in California? Ed F

18-Oct-14
CBH gets a big thumbs up and I do contribute to there legislative fund. Its nice to know at least one organization out there is fighting for hunting.

20-Oct-14
PBS & BHA. I also purchase my yearly Warden Stamp.

20-Oct-14
How about conservation organizations that do work in Ca? CBH, P&Y, WSF, RMEF, SCI... These are the ones I belong to and support. I can say that collectively they make a difference here in California. I'm trying to not fall in that NIMBY syndrome... or turn the other cheek. Ed F

05-Nov-14
Never considered those BOWUNTR. I'll consider it.

19-Nov-14
Feds should stay out !

03-Dec-14
I was reading in the California Bowhunters newsletter that Obama in his speech said that this would enable the youth of the inner cities to enjoy the outdoors and give children of color a place to go. You know the kids that deface everything with spray paint.

• Sitka Gear