Iowa
Contributors to this thread:
mtink 05-Dec-14
Ollie 08-Dec-14
JusPassin 10-Dec-14
buffsnuffer 15-Dec-14
ahunter55 15-Dec-14
05-Dec-14
Well another year has come and gone for first season bow hunting. It seems to me that the age class was much younger. It was a very tough year and I think a lot of it was due to the EHD the last two years. What are your thoughts on this? Did you see 150 plus class bucks? It will be interesting how the shotgunners do starting tomorrow.Heard a lot of guys sighting in there guns this afternoon. Please comment how your season went.

Mike

08-Dec-14
The last two years my sightings of really big bucks is down. total deer numbers have not changed much where I hunt. This is southeast Iowa.

10-Dec-14
I hunted 51 days this season, for a total of 121 hours afield. Saw well over 100 deer, but only 2 I would have shot had they come within range. Everything else was does, fawns, and small racked bucks.

I know, I know, I just don't know where the "real" deer are at. Yeah, right. EHD was bad last year and did take a good number of them.

Total numbers were down overall but not as bad as I first thought they'd be.

15-Dec-14
I saw fewer deer this year. None <140.

15-Dec-14
I saw much less deer than most hunters but my best year seeing Does & Fawns (I do not shoot Does). I did see a few small bucks & a couple very nice 8s and ONE shooter. The ground I bowhunt gets hammered gun season & last year they killed their limit in the 1st 2 days (10 gun hunters). This year only 2 deer taken off that same ground but both Bucks-1 nice 8 & a 10. They had hunted another property 1st & killed 5 so that helped MY SPOT. I'll be out a few more times b/4 the end & hoping the gunners in surrounding properties may run some new blood into my area. The gunners shoot brown & down.

• Sitka Gear