Magic Valley proposals
Idaho
Contributors to this thread:
nijimasu 24-Dec-14
Mr Wapiti 26-Dec-14
Mike Schlegel 26-Dec-14
Mr.Wapiti 31-Dec-14
24-Dec-14
Here 's the reply I sent to Daryl Meints, the new wildlife director for The Magic Valley region. I've also included his original email asking for management suggestions. I'd encourage anyone with concerns in the region t send a message to the address listed at the bottom of his email.

Thanks for your email Daryl.

My name is Dale Garrard.

I am primarily an archery hunter. I grew up in Burley, and learned to hunt in unit 54. There is no other thing I'd rather do in September than chase mule deer in the South Hills with my bow.

I'm raising my family in Boise, where I teach school. You may have guessed by now where I am going with this.

Being able to bowhunt close to my home after school and on Saturdays with my kids is phenomenal, and I do it every chance I get. However, up until last year I was able to do that, as well as plan one large hunt for myself and the friends that I grew up with back home in unit 54. The bulk of our hunting dollars traveled to Magic Valley stores and gas stations, and our traditional hunt was fantastic.

However, with the recent unlimited draw situation for the unit 54 bowhunt, I've had to choose between frequent, but short local hunts with my kids, and unit 54. You know which scenario has taken precedence. I can't tell you how much it hurt not to hunt 54 last year.

If this were a matter of biological concern, it would be fine. If I believed this new hunt designation was for the benefit of deer populations, I would have no problem. However, it's no secret that this is not the case; the ruling is for the benefit of user groups in a small part of the unit that did not like congestion in their hunt areas. This is not right.

Admittedly, my motives in requiring the hunt be restored to over the counter status is based in my own personal motives- but I can't think that I am the only one who has taken issue with the situation, and I do believe economic impact in area towns and other collateral effects have been more far-reaching than is recognized by Fish and Game- and they stem unfortunately from the mis-directed motive of appeasing a user group, rather than in relation to the biology of the hunt area.

Please be sure this issue is brought up for consideration, and restore the unit 54 archery hunt to its correct over-the-counter status.

Sincerely,

Dale GARRARD

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 24, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Idaho Dept. Fish & Game wrote:

New Wildlife Manager, Daryl Meints View this email in your browser

Dear Dale, My name is Daryl Meints. I am the new Regional Wildlife Manager in the Magic Valley Region. I have worked for the Fish and Game Department for 24 years; 12 years in Pocatello as a Wildlife Biologist and the last 12 years as the Wildlife Manager in Idaho Falls. I look forward to meeting you and working on wildlife issues here in the Magic Valley. Now that most big game hunting seasons have closed, we’d like to begin the process of gathering input for setting 2015 big game seasons. The first step of this is identifying issues – where things are working and where some changes might help improve things. We’re reaching out to you to get your input on this. Our management in any area works towards meeting goals and objectives established in species management plans: for example, some units are managed for general opportunities while others are managed for “quality” or “high quality” opportunities. The characteristics of these opportunities are listed in management plans, and include things such as population objectives, harvest success rates, opportunity to hunt annually, and %4 points (or %6 points for elk) in the harvest. Our surveys and harvest data tell us quite a bit about whether we are meeting some of those objectives, but there are plenty of other factors to consider, as well, such as depredations, changes in migration patterns, desire for different weapon opportunities, etc. What we’re looking for right now are some broad topics that we can start to evaluate and see how they might fit into proposed changes. Some examples might be: “Some areas of the Region are experiencing an increase in elk depredations, additional antlerless opportunity should be provided” OR “I would like to see additional muzzleloader hunting opportunity”. We’ll take a look at all the suggestions that come in, and look for common themes. Then we’ll research the history of hunts in those areas, look at the biological and harvest data, and decide how best to fold some of those suggestions into proposals that move forward. This is by no means your only opportunity to have input. Starting in February, we’ll firm up some actual proposals, and we’ll make those available for your review on the website, at meetings, and via e-mail and web surveys. However, identifying where we can make improvements is an important part of the process, and we hope to hear from you. To be most helpful, and give us time to discuss and research things, try to e-mail in your issues to address by early January. Feel free to forward this email along to other interested folks. So, in summary: What we need: your help identifying issues prior to developing season setting proposals for 2015 When we need it: By January 9th, if possible Please reply with any comments or questions to: [email protected] Thanks for your input and interest, Sincerely, Daryl Meints Regional Wildlife Manager

Our mailing address is: Idaho Department of Fish and Game - Magic Valley Region 324 South 417 East., Suite 1 Jerome, ID 83338

26-Dec-14
Basically you got smoke, we might be bringing this up, but we really have not had the input we were hoping for, the same reason that this turned to unlimited in the first place.

26-Dec-14
Tad,

I disagree with you - IMO Daryl explained to Dale how the system works with suggestions re how to word a proposal and the time frame for submitting a proposal.

What input are you hoping for that you have not received?

31-Dec-14
Mike, generally we have a ton of people thatvwantbto see hunts changed or added. We have created an opportunity to do something besides the normal open house. I was hoping folks might get more excited about it. But maybe not.

• Sitka Gear