Moultrie Mobile
Best limited elk units for non-res
Utah
Contributors to this thread:
PRE-RUT 21-Jan-15
Ranger 22-Jan-15
PreRut 04-Feb-15
21-Jan-15
After moving to the midwest from utah 14 years ago, I continued to put in for bonus points/draws over the years. I would like to think I'm getting close to having a good shot at perhaps one of the best units in the state. In fact, I view this more as a once in a lifetime draw for myself. However, it appears to me that things have changed in regards to age structure/harvest of bulls from what I can gather(which isn't much). Where would you guys in the know, steer me for drawing the best tag? wouldn't have to be this yr, I have a back up hunt if it doesn't pan out. I would love to get to see one of these monster Utah bulls I hear about. Any info is appreciated, thanks

22-Jan-15
Check the DWR website and look at the non-res odds to see how long a wait for units with tags for non-res. The top units are about same as the past. Ones I would be interested in for the top end bulls: San Juan, Pahvant, Beaver, and Monroe. Look at the harvest stats also to see percentage of success to help narrow down also. Some additional units are Book Cliffs, Southwest, Manti and Dutton to not ignore.

The big issue is the archery hunt is too early to get into prime time with it ending Sept 11 before they really get heated up. Muzzy season this year will be in the best time and rifle they will be just starting to really heat up when it ends.

Any unit can be a great hunt if you work out it and can have time to scout or in your case it might be best to go with a guide with it being a once in lifetime thing for you. No reason not to put all the odds to your side to make it an awesome hunt.

04-Feb-15
Ranger, thank you for your response, it was helpful. I'm usually a DIYer, but, if I'm lucky enough to draw one of those tags, I think I will definitely try and find an outfitter, as my vacation time is limited and I would rather use it to hunt than scout! Thanks

• Sitka Gear