new ears 13-Feb-15
Mt. man 13-Feb-15
new ears 14-Feb-15
tredd60 15-Feb-15
new ears 16-Feb-15
13-Feb-15
Anyone tried a elk decoy ?

13-Feb-15
You will get mixed reviews on this from everyone. I have a couple Montana Decoy poses. I use them often. WILL THEY WORK EVERYTIME? The factual answer is NO! I have had bulls see the decoy and become completely calm and walk right in starring at the decoy until his lungs were deflated. I have also had bulls come in and see the decoy and immediately turn and leave. Sometimes things happen very fast. My wife knows that if we are walking and accidentally jump an elk. My job is to call to the elk and stop it. Her job is to hold up the decoy really fast to give a "Fur Flash". If we have not been completely busted it can calm the moment quickly. Every situation is different, but my decoy IS with me almost every trip.

14-Feb-15
Thanks, I have hunted elk in WA, state and had not tried the decoy. Being 75 sometimes makes things harder. I have noticed that a persons opinion is not always acceptable on Bowsite. Thanks for the reply.

15-Feb-15
I used a decoy on a herd bull that had 8 cows and a spike in his herd. They were moving away from me but the bull turned and pushed his whole herd about 135 yards once he saw my decoy. Didnt come to any cow calls but once he saw the decoy he wasn't about to go the other way. Shot him at 18 yards when he pushed the spike right by me at less than 5. That's the only opportunity i've had to really use it and it worked great. It is also a montana decoy. Bull scored 323 p&y. It was public land in oregon. Id agree with Mt Man that it should always be in your pack I'd you are trying to call elk.

16-Feb-15
Thanks, I will give it a try. I was going to use it in WA. but there were so many nimrods I was worried about getting shot. I lived there 30 some years and did enjoy some great elk, deer, and bear hunting.

• Sitka Gear