Ranger 24-Feb-15
Allbirdies 24-Feb-15
Ranger 25-Feb-15
Allbirdies 26-Feb-15
WapitiBob 27-Feb-15
20-Feb-15

Allbirdies's embedded Photo
Allbirdies's embedded Photo
I have a 7 year old son who has been hunting with me for several years now. Has killed many pigs and his first whitetail buck this past season. Should I start earning points for him now? Any advise on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Darrell

20-Feb-15
For elk mainly but I would be open to all species...

Thanks

21-Feb-15
Nobody in Utah have anything to say?

22-Feb-15
chirp..... chirp....

24-Feb-15
In Utah for Big Game he has to wait. He can start drawing or gaining points when he is twelve for antlerless hunts and general hunts. He has to wait until he is fourteen to start getting points for Limited entry and Once-in-a-lifetime. Some other states allow starting early for kids like Arizona so jump in there and then Wyoming it is cheaper for youth.

In Utah I would suggest you start or continue getting points for yourself and when your son is old enough put in together and the points will be averaged for both of you. It is a long shot. Other good option now is the mentor program. Where he could hunt off your tag together.

24-Feb-15
Thanks for the feedback Rob

I found out that in Arizona he must be 10. I guess he still is just a little to young. I will start getting him points just as soon as I can. I'm 36 and what I wouldn't give to be sitting on 20 plus points for Arizona and Utah!

25-Feb-15
There is another thought about drawing that a friend of mine who gets points in all the states shared. His son asked him about getting all the points once he graduated college since his dad was doing it for him until then.

My friend shared if you put in for all the states to get points and ones you have to buy out of state hunting licenses to get points you are close to $10,000. Yes get some back but not us average hunters can do that and his son just starting out with work couldn't afford to do that.

So he told his son save your money you would put in and every three or four years you can afford to book a hunt in Canada. He told his son he would get to do more hunting that way since he was way behind the top points in states and would have to wait decades before even having a chance to draw in most states. He then said hunt all you can in your own state.

Sad but it looks to be going this way. I get points for my seventeen and fourteen year olds and they are way behind in Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and not as far behind in Wyoming.

26-Feb-15
I will continue to determine what is the best way too go about it. I did not realize there was a great cost to simply apply for points.... I know Colorado is only like $20-30 a year.

There's just something about the idea of hunting those big bulls in Utah and Arizona that drives me crazy. I hope my son will continue to enjoy the outdoors as much as I do.

27-Feb-15
NM used to have no age restriction but I believe they have now set it to 10.

OR has "mentored youth" program where a son/daughter hunts on dad/mom's tag. I would look into both of those states to start.

• Sitka Gear