Nebraska
Contributors to this thread:
Hoytboy 17-Mar-15
tobinsghost 19-Mar-15
Rock 23-Mar-15
jims 25-Mar-15
Hoytboy 30-Mar-15
17-Mar-15
I am interested to see different people's early season (turkey) decoy setups or if you even use decoys at all. How much success have you had with these setups and in what part of the state?

19-Mar-15
I think it depends on the age of bird. The last two years I've had jakes come by and be shy of the dekes but when a lone mature gobbler saw the breeding set up, they came a running!! Hens by themselves just look and call most times. This is all in central Nebraska. I also use no dekes when I'm in thicker creek bottoms. Just what I've observed.

Good luck to all u folks this spring.

23-Mar-15
A DSD Jake decoy and 1 to 3 DSD hens is typical for me. Most often any Tom or Jake that sees them come right into the Jake. Have used a lot of different Decoys over the years and nothing I have tried works as good or consitantly as the DSD decoys do.

25-Mar-15
Last archery season was super tough for me with ANY decoy set. It was a super late spring in Central Nebr and the turkeys were in large winter flocks pretty much the entire archery season. When they are in large flocks the toms really have no reason to leave the group of hens. As the large winter flocks break up it becomes easier to coax toms or a tom's group of hens into coming into just about any decoy setup. If one setup doesn't work be sure to stay flexible and try something else. If it's early archery season and they are in large flocks your best bet with decoys may be to wait it out until later in the season when they start breaking up!

30-Mar-15
well I got back from my trip in the sandhills this week. We setup on the edge of a large cornfield that a flock of hens jakes and toms were feeding on. Eventually they got close enough to hear my calls and I got a few of the hens to come into the decoys using some aggressive hen calls. My mom shot her first bird and I doubled it with a jake. I was using the DSD upright hen, Primos Jake mobile strutter, and Avian X feeder hen decoy. They didn't seem to mind the feeder much, most of the attention was on the upright hen and the strutting jake.

• Sitka Gear