Bandicooter 13-Jun-15
wvvabowhunter 30-Jun-15
Bogenschütze II 24-Jul-15
Bogenschütze II 24-Jul-15
Bowsage 24-Jul-15
wvvabowhunter 16-Oct-15
Readytohunt 05-Nov-15
09-Jun-15
I'd often pondered aloud why, if we were so concerned about CWD, we were still allowing gallons of deer urine to be splashed all over our forests. After all, deer enclosures (where it's collected) are the PRIMARY source of this disease. Regardless, how is this latest development going to affect your season?

09-Jun-15
None.

10-Jun-15
Zero impact for me.

10-Jun-15
none

10-Jun-15
Damn.

Now what am I gonna spill on purpose to keep the Missus out of the Garage and Basement ?

10-Jun-15

tonyo6302's Link
DGIF Website still says they only "Reccommend" not to use urine based scents.

Ralph, who told you no more urine scents?

From the linky;

Is it OK to use deer urine-based scents to attract deer?

VDGIF deer management staff recommends that natural urine-based lures not be used to attract deer or to mask human scent. A bottle of "deer urine" may contain disease agents harbored by captive deer living hundreds of miles away that were used to collect the infected urine. The most significant threat to Virginia's deer populations from the use of urine-based scents is the introduction of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) into new areas. Synthetic products that can be used to lure deer without the disease risks are readily available at sporting goods stores and from multiple online retailers

13-Jun-15
Tony, I understand it was just passed by the Board and not the legislature which they can do. As follows: No person shall, for the purposes of taking or attempting to take, attracting, or scouting any wild animal in Virginia, possess or use any substance or material that contains or purports to contain any excretion collected from a cervid, including feces, urine, blood, gland oil, or other bodily fluid.

Rationale: (i) The amendment in the regulation title was necessitated by the addition of a new subsection regarding possession and use of cervid excretions for the purpose of taking, attempting to take, attracting, or scouting any wild animal in Virginia. (ii) The intent of this regulation is to ensure that illegal carcass parts are not brought into Virginia from carcass - restriction zones, which are areas deemed by the Department to be of high risk for Chronic Wasting Disease. (iii) The banning of the use of potentially infectious cervid excretions or substances is a critical preventative measure intended to reduce the risk of introducing CWD to a new area of Virginia. The infectious agent responsible for CWD is known to be passed in the urine and feces of infected cervids, which can then be collected, bottled, and sold as a deer attractant or scent cover. CWD is known to circulate in the captive cervid industry, which supplies the urine for commercial natural deer urine products; m any captive cervid facilities have not been compliant with CWD testing programs, thereby avoiding detection and allowing production to continue. CWD is consider ed by many state and federal natural resource agencies to be one of the most pertinent threats to the long-term health and stability of infected cervid populations; as such, VDGIF has already banned the movement of whole carcasses and high- risk carcass parts from CWD infected areas of the country and does not allow captive cervid farming. Prohibiting the use of potentially infectious natural cervid products will serve to strengthen and further support the intent of regulations already in place in Virginia. Lastly, hunters will still be able to legally use synthetic deer substances as an alternative to natural, potentially infectious, cervid materials.

13-Jun-15
And I also understand you'll have to pay another $20 to be able to shoot a bear. That sucks.

30-Jun-15

wvvabowhunter's Link

24-Jul-15
Okay....so it hasn't been "months since I've been here"; forgot about posting this thread. Anyway, I don't use scents, so it doesn't impact my hunting style in the least.

24-Jul-15
Okay....so it hasn't been "months since I've been here"; forgot about posting this thread. Anyway, I don't use scents, so it doesn't impact my hunting style in the least.

24-Jul-15
$ 21

16-Oct-15
Anyone using the synthetic brands this year? If so, what type and what results have you had ?

05-Nov-15
The change in the regs kinda pissed me off. Yeah CWD is here and now but lets use some research on what the real cause is before throwing darts at a board for a solution. Don't use scent much but like the option of a tarsal gland if I want to use one.

• Sitka Gear