Fuzzy 04-Aug-15
Owl 04-Aug-15
Fuzzy 05-Aug-15
Dr McJiblets 05-Aug-15
tonyo6302 05-Aug-15
Dr McJiblets 05-Aug-15
tonyo6302 05-Aug-15
31-Jul-15
Does anyone have any advice on getting started hunting? I'm 31 and live in Portsmouth. I've been a firefighter paramedic for ten years (still volunteer paramedic) and current pre-med student. I have a wife and our third kid will be here in December. I wanted to start a new tradition in my family that I could pass on to my sons someday (We'll have 3 boys by Christmas). I didn't have much time with my dad growing up and I'd like for my boys to have many fond memories of theirs. I've been on one hunt as a guest with a hunt club with my brother. While I enjoyed being outside, standing in the woods with a shotgun hoping to get lucky while the dogs chased and terrified the deer wasn't really my style. I didn't really feel like a "hunter" so much as a clueless guy in the woods. Those that did have a successful hunt seemed to do so with the ol' "spray'n'pray" method. I did get to help field dress a buck and a doe (each one taken down with no less than 2-3 shells). I'm a bit more methodical than that. Thus, I'd rather hunt more cunningly. I think I can get that from bow hunting; Something that requires a good bit of skill, planning, experience, and prowess. I have a RedHead Kronik XT Composite that I have had professionally tuned and I've had plenty of practice rounds with it. I have a decent collection of hunting gear so far (trying to convince the wife to let me get some new [warmer] boots though). I've done a good amount of research (VDGIF site, F&S, videos, etc.) and I'm excited about getting out there. I just don't want to step on any toes. I fall short on experience. I've spent countless hours scouring the VDGIF site and have a few questions. How do I go about finding good spots to hunt? The Dismal Swamp looks good. How do WMAs work? Do you just buy the access pass and show up with all of your gear? Is there any kind of "hunter's etiquette" I should be aware of? Some regulations say you have to be 10-15 ft in the air. Does that apply everywhere, even WMAs? Does that mean you have to hunt in a tree stand? Does learning to call deer help? I see that some counties don't permit hunting during the Early Archery Season. I just want to be sure I'm adhering to the regs. Just bringing home one deer to dress and get some good venison from would be great to start. Not to mention, I'd love the opportunity to prove the wife wrong (she thinks I won't stick with it). I guess I'm just hoping I run into someone willing to show me the ropes of hunting. It's not very easy to get into if you don't have a history with it.

That went on a little longer than I meant it to, sorry. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

J.

31-Jul-15
Wow... a lot of questions. First place to start is by taking a VDGIF hunter education course. You can also make some connections there. As an instructor for VDGIF, I know we like to talk a lot and teach well beyond the basic class. Of course some of us are windbags. Etiquette is variable as some hunters are super sensitive to everyone else and others are much more relaxed. Hopefully, you can find a mentor in your area. I'm in central Virginia quite far away. Good luck!

31-Jul-15
Thanks, Bandicooter. I'm signed up for Basic next Saturday. I squeezed into the IBEP course tomorrow but I had to cancel because someone hacked into our bank account and now I get to spend tomorrow morning in the bank instead of shooting. (Probably take the bow to the inlaw's and sight her in a bit.)

Thanks for the advice!

I think my biggest challenge right now seems to be finding land. I'll ask around.

04-Aug-15
You should try for the draw hunts of GATR Tract of Mockhorn Island, and the False Cape State Park/ Back Bay NWR hunts.

Those are right in your neighborhood, I have done both, and I recommend them.

For local gun clubs and access to private land, just look at all the Post It Boards in the local stores. You might find a gun club advertisiing for new members.

Owl might know more about your area than I, for more information.

04-Aug-15
Tonyo, good info. BTW did you see that I am "in" on the Great Dismal hunt? Maybe we can co-ordinate a visit or hunt together (Owl, how say ye?)

04-Aug-15
I'm in.

04-Aug-15
And Tonyo, thanks for the info!

04-Aug-15
Well, Portsmouth really is out of my area but a good starting point for anyone searching for access would be.......craigslist. lol

Believe it or not, hunting clubs will advertise for membership on craigslist. I have seen listings in Suffolk and Chesapeake. You'll want to look south of the James for your best opportunities. If you can score a lease (via a club) adjacent to the Dismal Swamp, you can kill some dandy black bears.

As for "showing you the ropes," so much of hunting can be universally applied, asking on the forums or sending PMs will result in a ton of qualified advice. The Bowsite is a wonderful venue for such assistance.

04-Aug-15
Fuzzy, I am so busy at work, I didn't even get out Turkey hunting this year.

Maybe we can hook up this fall for a hunt, we will see.

04-Aug-15
ok well, you have my number

04-Aug-15
Fishing, hunting or just a visit, Fuzzy, anything would be good.

05-Aug-15
ok cool :)

05-Aug-15
mmmm, Turkey.

Well, my hunter's ed course is Saturday. I got into the ONE bowhunting course in my area but couldn't go. Someone hacked into our bank account and I had to go to the bank with the wife on a Saturday to fix it.

What about WMAs? You either get an access pass or a hunting license, right? Do you just go and hunt on days they're open? If it's not a quota system, do you just show up?

Sorry about all the questions, gents. But, this sport isn't easy to get into if you don't have connections and I have none right now.

05-Aug-15
"What about WMAs? You either get an access pass or a hunting license, right? Do you just go and hunt on days they're open? If it's not a quota system, do you just show up?"

It depends on the WMA. Each usually has it's own rules.

My advice is to focus on a WMA near you, and start from there.

05-Aug-15
Thanks again. I guess I'll pay a visit to Cavalier and/or the Dismal Swamp.

05-Aug-15
Don't forget the Military Bases near you.

Fort Eustis used to allow Civilians on to hunt. Not sure about Yorktown Naval Weapons Station.

The biggest buck I have ever seen with my own eyes, was at Fort Eustis. It haunts me to this day.

Check those bases out for sure.

• Sitka Gear