rershooter 20-Aug-15
armed-hiker 20-Aug-15
bow_dude 20-Aug-15
bow_dude 20-Aug-15
YZF-88 22-Aug-15
brewski 22-Aug-15
HDE 04-Sep-15
19-Aug-15
I am from Wisconsin and would like to try bowhunting in Utah. Either for elk or mule deer. It would have to be do it yourself public or do it yourself private with a small trespass fee. I have hunted WY and CO before, never been to Utah and know nothing about it. Cost of tags, how long to draw, areas to try, ect. ect. ect. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks

19-Aug-15
For elk Utah is tough for OTC bulls. Most of the really good bull units are limited entry draw. I don't know what you could expect for number of points to draw for non res. You can check the Utah DWR site as they have draw results/odds posted. I drew a resident tag in a decent unit, Wasatch, with 6 points.

You can hunt spikes and cows in most of the LE units which is an option if you don't really care abut hunting bulls. There are some great areas with a lot of animals.

OTC any bull areas are hard to hunt and those who find good bull spots have put in a ton of time and miles. There just aren't as many elk in the any bull areas, imagine that! Well I haven't found them anyway!

Good Luck

20-Aug-15
armed-hiker

what are your thoughts or info on muleys

20-Aug-15
Deer tags are getting more difficult to get even for residents as its gone to a draw even for general season archery. In fact I didn't draw a general season tag this year for this first time in the 10 years or so I've been hunting. I was able to buy a leftover muzzy deer tag so at least I have that. I don't believe there are any OTC deer tags in Utah.

Looking at the draw odds you have a pretty good shot at getting a general season deer tag as a non-resident. Here is the link to the report.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/2015/15_general_deer.pdf

In the areas I've been hunting the deer herds appear to be doing very well and that may be part of the reason for the increase in resident apps. I'm no expert on deer hunting thats for sure so maybe some one else can give you more info.

Non res elk tag is $393 (Archery, hunters choice in open areas and spike/cow in LE areas.)

Non-res deer is $268. and both include a fishing license I believe.

Good luck.

20-Aug-15
I would put in for deer and if you don't draw... purchase an over the counter elk license and go hunt. The elk is state wide and there is no draw. As previously mentioned, you can hunt any kind of elk in an open bull area or a cow or spike in a limited area. Either way, you would be able to hunt Utah every year if you want until you draw the deer tag you want.

20-Aug-15
I would put in for deer and if you don't draw... purchase an over the counter elk license and go hunt. The elk is state wide and there is no draw. As previously mentioned, you can hunt any kind of elk in an open bull area or a cow or spike in a limited area. Either way, you would be able to hunt Utah every year if you want until you draw the deer tag you want.

22-Aug-15
I wouldn't waste your money applying for LE deer. Look at the odds. They're crazy even for residents. I lived in WI and went to UT three times to chase really nice bucks in a general unit. Got sick of traveling so I just moved there a few years ago.

22-Aug-15
Don't waste your time..Go to colorado it's 1000 times better than here in Utah. Hell I live here and I'm going to Colorado.

04-Sep-15
I would have to agree with brewski. Deer hunting in CO has different approach to it than UT.

As far as OTC elk in LE units, go for it. You can hear and see some dandy bulls while chasing cows and spikes. Hunt like you're "trying" to shoot a big bull and you'll bump into the onion heads and martians.

• Sitka Gear