Contributors to this thread:
Bigwoods42 14-Sep-15
Knife2sharp 29-Sep-15
Knife2sharp 29-Sep-15
SB 02-Oct-15
Keith 02-Oct-15
SB 04-Oct-15
14-Sep-15
Going to give whitewater a crack this year for the first time. I know it gets some bad press for a lot of hunters, but based on how large it is and if you have the willingness to get away from easy access- it seems like it could work. I've gone in off random roads (not the typical areas everyone hits) and even left a camera in there, and no one had bothered it. Do any of you guys have any feedback or success stories?? Or bad negative stories/ things to avoid?

thanks-

29-Sep-15
Let us know how it went. I started my bowhunting career hunting there in the mid 80's and harvested my first deer, a 7 pointer there. By the early 90s it really started getting a lot of Hmong hunters. These guys were die yards for their squirrels and had one setup 30 yards from me an hour before sunrise.

I moved to WI and a hunt a much smaller version of it in Pierce Co, but I frequently think of Whitewater and wonder how the areas I used to hunt look now. We used to park at Kramer West.

29-Sep-15
Actually, I think Kramer East, because it was near the Eastern border.

02-Oct-15
It's way worse now! I havn't been able to find anywhere around here to hunt for two years now! And even I won't bother with Whitewater! Drove all over that place one evening at about deer o'clock coming home from fishing on the river....never saw even one deer ! Didn't used to be that way.

02-Oct-15
I have hunted there a few years, I would spend a week there camping at the park or the free camping area. During the week I had the whole place to myself( or so it seemed) During the Friday to Monday there are a ton of Hmong. The deer are heavily pressured, and are smart, but they are there. I always wonder what it was like during it's glory days.

Sadly, I have never seen a grey squirrel there outside of the state park. They have been shot out.

04-Oct-15
Don't see much for squirrels anywhere around here anymore. The large Amish families around here have contributed to their demise. But I have taked to game wardens In the past that have busted carloads of Hmong hunters that had the trunk packed full of Squirrels! It sure ain't the good old days anymore!

• Sitka Gear