tico 16-Dec-15
Schmitty78 16-Dec-15
tico 16-Dec-15
Schmitty78 16-Dec-15
Jakeemt 17-Dec-15
tico 17-Dec-15
Schmitty78 17-Dec-15
06-Oct-15
The proposed changes for the 2016-2017 season are posted and the public comment limit is October 2015. See Below:

The time to voice your opinion is NOW. http://mdc.mo.gov/node/24141

APPROVED Changes to fall deer season structure for 2016-2017: • Maintain current timing of the November portion and reduce the length from 11 to 9 days. • Expand the late youth portion to 3 days beginning the first Friday after Thanksgiving. • Reduce the length of the antlerless portion from 12 to 3 days and begin on the first Friday in December. • Eliminate the urban zones portion.

PROPOSED regulation changes to fall deer season methods and limits for 2016-2017: • Include crossbows as a legal method during the archery deer and turkey seasons. • Allow the use of crossbows during the fall firearms turkey season. • Reduce the limit of antlered deer from 3 to 2 during the combined archery and firearms deer hunting season, with no more than one antlered deer taken during the firearms deer hunting season and only one antlered deer taken prior to the November portion of the firearms deer hunting season. • Remove the hunting method exemption requirement related to use of crossbows.

I personally don't like the change to a "2" buck limit. The MDC admits that very FEW archers harvest 2 bucks during the archery season. So this change has minimal affect on the deer herd. What it does IMO is reduces the "satisfaction" that the MDC says they are concerned about. IF, I kill a buck before rifle season then the opportunity to maybe kill a second buck will be gone.

I have only filled both buck tags one time in 34 years. I believe that this change will take hunters out of the field, reducing the "hunter satisfaction".

06-Oct-15
Greg. I'm not sure what to make of the "hunter satisfaction" MDC is referring to. Do they believe all hunters hunt only bucks? Personally, I don't think the new limits will affect my time in the woods at all. Bad weather, [rain, wind,or extreme cold or hot] will keep more hunters home in my opinion.

I'm sure a lot will be written about these changes. Everyone, like myself will base their opinions on their own hunting experience. Could be an interesting thread you have started.

06-Oct-15
For clarification.

The "hunter satisfaction" is the reasoning I was told in person by MDC staff for the following issues:

1. MDC can't move gun season.... 2. MDC lengthened the archer season. 3. Allowing you to shot does in EACH county, not a total of 1 or 2 or 3. 4. lengthening "youth season". 5. Moving youth season

Just using their words, not mine.

06-Oct-15
The conservation dept already sold out to the crossbow companies. Let's just stop bullshitting around and make the changes.

06-Oct-15
Yeah..I hear crossbow companies have millions of dollars to bribe MDC. You just keep getting funnier and funnier Don!

06-Oct-15
BassPro has MDC's ear, and money will continue to be a larger issue as time goes by and the pie gets split thinner and thinner. MDC is afraid, and rightfully so, that the 1/8th of 1% tax will be voted out.

06-Oct-15

08-Oct-15
Just did my part to tell the dept. that I don't feel they belong in archery season (crossbows) because of the skill level (or lack there of) to operate they belong in with muzzleloaders or rifle season! Everyone needs to comment it's like voting don't complain and then do nothing about it. Happy hunting.

03-Nov-15
Oklahoma had 3 buck limit about 10 years ago, as soon as they reduced the limit to 2 we saw an astronomical change in the number of high quality mature deer. It's just gotten better and better since. It makes the average Joe think twice about shooting those 1 and 2 year old deer. The states with the best potential such as Kansas and Kentucky have a 1 buck limit...I can't tell you how many deer I would have passed on if I have had a one buck limit. I think most would say the same. Here in Oklahoma I have killed 2 bucks with a bow two years in a row using a recurve bow...this year I will possibly do the same as I have already shot one buck and will be holding out for a big one.

As your neighbor, I think moving to a two buck limit or even a 1 buck limit would be the best thing that you could do to promote an excellent age structure and good trophy quality hunting.

03-Nov-15
I would be much more concerned about crossbow personally and would try to get them tracked and put in a separate but similar season.

03-Nov-15
I would be much more concerned about crossbow personally and would try to get them tracked and put in a separate but similar season.

03-Nov-15
Unfortunately crossbows are going to happen. The one thing I would like to see everyone do is tell MDC if they are going to call a crossbow " archery " then at least make scopes illegal. That might make some of these people at least put in some time practicing and keep them from shooting after legal shooting light.

26-Nov-15
Fortunately crossbows are going to happen. Ignorant not to. Some here think they are easier to use than a bow. You've obviously never sighted in, practiced with it, heated the poor weight distribution that many have, hauled the heavy, awkward thing around the woods, etc. Pretty easy to get busted on stand shifting your body to get into shooting position. I would much rather hunt with a modern bow, but am glad that people who may want to use a crossbow for whatever reason no longer have to claim a medical reason. You think crossbow hunters dont practice? How about the dead deer my neighbors and I find,unrecovered by the holier than thou archers who make terrible shots, cause the animal a lot of suffering because they dont practice. Found some nice broadheads in those unrecovered deer.

You boys go back to straight stick and string, no cams, no wheels, no light catching pins that allow one to shoot past legal light, no modern nothing, then I will entertain your lame fear of the crossbow. Hypocrites. Good site. I have enjoyed reading about people's hunts!

29-Nov-15
I'd have to disagree on the ease of shooting a crossbow Deerguy. My 11 year old took one out during youth rifle season because he's not much on shooting a rifle, he was hammering 50 and 60 yard shots with ease and had never shot one before, no chance he doe that with his compound! Not trying to argue just had to throw my two cents out there

30-Nov-15
I agree with Schmitty. The limited shooting I have done with crossbows (2) has been point, pull the trigger, hit the target where I aimed. Just like my rifle. I know distance is far less than with my deer rifle, but I was good out to 60 yards with no practice. Crossbows are easier. Compounds are easier than recurves. Just an observation on my experience.

08-Dec-15

cottonwood's embedded Photo
Just for fun...

09-Dec-15
Nice cottonwood!! I know a guy that has the PSE Tac and it will bury his bolt to the fletchings at 100 yds in a brand new block target!

11-Dec-15
Conservation Commission Action – DECEMBER 2015 The Missouri Conservation Commission met Thursday, Dec. 10, for its closed session and Friday, Dec. 11, for its regular open meeting at Conservation Department Headquarters, 2901 West Truman Boulevard, in Jefferson City. Commissioners present were:

Marilynn J. Bradford, Chair David W. Murphy, Vice Chair James T. Blair, IV, Secretary Don C. Bedell, Member PRESENTATIONS:

The Commission received the following presentations/reports:

Agricultural Crop Program -- Nathan Bess, Financial Services Analyst; and Dave Darrow, Wildlife Management Biologist Missouri Deer Survey Program -- Mike Hubbard, Resource Science Division Chief Report of the Regulations Committee -- Tom Draper, Deputy Director and Chairman, Regulations Committee Recommendations for 2016-2017 Fall Deer/Turkey Season Structure, Methods, and Limits -- Jason Sumners, Resource Scientist 2016 Missouri Wild Turkey Hunting Regulation Recommendations -- Jason Isabelle, Resource Scientist Upcoming waterfowl/hunter public engagement meetings – Mike Hubbard, Resource Science Division Chief Major Construction Projects Status Report -- Jacob Careaga, Design and Development Division Chief 2016 Permit System Vendor Changes -- Greg Jones, Permit Services Supervisor Information Technology Projects Status Report -- Douglas Fees, Information Technology Services Chief ADMINISTRATION:

The Commission:

Received public comments regarding proposed deer regulations from Cole Cruickshank of Cameron and Blake Hurst of Westboro.

Recognized Conservation Agents Brian Ham, Doug Yeager, Adam Bracken, and Matthew Bryant (2015 MDC Pistol Team) for awards received at the National Police Shooting Championships.

Recognized two conservation-agent work teams as recipients of the 2015 MDC Workforce Diversity Award. Team members are: Conservation Agents Chris Campbell, Tammy Pierson, Marsha Jones, Chris Decoske, Brian Bartlett, Adam Doerhoff, Becky Robertson, Kearby Bridges, Christa Cox, Alan Lamb, and Jerry Elliott; and Conservation Agents Lexis Riter, and Kevin Powell.

Recognized the 2015 Missouri 4-H Shooting Sports State Team for Top Overall Honors at the 4-H Shooting Sports National Championships. Representatives of the 36-member team in attendance were: Dalton Fisher, Nichole Gann, Seiler Johnson, Stewart McCollum, Cole Sandbothe, Leanna Schwartze, Jake Tanner, Levi Walker, and Hunter Weller.

Recognized Stewart McCollum as the Top Overall Individual in the Senior Division at the 2015 NRA International Youth Hunter Education Challenge.

Approved recommendations for 2016-2017 fall deer/turkey season structure, methods, and limits:

Archery Deer and Turkey: Sept. 15 through Nov. 11, 2016, and Nov. 23, 2016, through Jan. 15, 2017 Firearms Turkey: Oct. 1 through 31, 2016 Firearms Deer Early Youth Portion: Oct. 29 through 30, 2016 Firearms Deer November Portion: Nov. 12 through 22, 2016 Firearms Deer Antlerless Portion: Dec. 2 through 4, 2016 Firearms Deer Alternative Methods Portion: Dec. 24, 2016, through Jan. 3, 2017 Firearms Deer Late Youth Portion: Nov. 25 through 27, 2016 Maintain the current 11-day November portion of the firearm deer season instead of the proposed 9-day season. Expand the late youth portion to 3 days beginning the first Friday after Thanksgiving. Reduce the length of the antlerless portion from 12 to 3 days and begin on the first Friday in December. Eliminate the urban zones portion. Include crossbows as a legal method during the archery deer and turkey seasons. Allow the use of crossbows during the fall firearms turkey season. Reduce the bag limit for antlered deer from 3 to 2 during the combined archery and firearms deer hunting seasons, with no more than 1 antlered deer taken during the firearms deer hunting season and only 1 antlered deer taken prior to the November portion of the firearms deer hunting season. Remove the hunting method exemption requirement related to crossbows. Approved recommendations for changes to the Wildlife Code of Missouri to limit the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease.

Approved 2016 Missouri wild turkey hunting season regulation recommendations.

Established the 2016 spring turkey season from April 18 through May 8 with a limit of 2 bearded turkeys during the season; provided only 1 turkey may be taken during the first 7 days of the season. Established 2016 youth spring season April 9 and 10. Established the 2016 fall turkey hunting season from Oct. 1 through 31 with a limit of 2 turkeys of either sex during the season. Approved regulation changes identified during the mid-year review of the Wildlife Code of Missouri.

Approved entering into a contract for acquiring LiDAR and aerial photogrammetry of 34 conservation areas.

Approved an amendment to the negotiated agreement for design of the new Grand River Pump Station at Fountain Grove Conservation Area in Livingston County.

Approved an increase to the permit vendor commission rate effective upon implementation of the new electronic permit system.

Approved the exchange of approximately 16 acres of Angeline Conservation Area in Shannon County for approximately 9 acres in Shannon County as an addition to Angeline Conservation Area.

Approved the purchase of approximately 14.69 acres in Jefferson County as an addition to Myron and Sonya Glassberg Family Conservation Area.

Approved the 2014-2015 annual report for the Department of Conservation.

Denied the request for reinstatement of hunting privileges from one individual.

Approved the suspension or revocation of one or more hunting, fishing, or trapping privileges of two individuals for cause:

Lucas C. Hughes, Louisberg, Hunting, Additional 2 Years; and Tyler M. Summers, Warsaw, Fishing, 1 year. Suspended or revoked all hunting and fishing privileges of 400 individuals who are not in compliance with applicable child support laws.

Suspended or revoked one or more hunting, fishing, and trapping privileges of 374 individuals in accordance with the terms of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

Suspended or revoked hunting privileges of six individuals who inflicted injury to another person while hunting.

Set the next regular meeting for January 21-22, 2016.

This document is provided for public information only and is not an official record of the Missouri Department of Conservation or Missouri

Preferences | Unsubscribe Help | Contact .com using GovDelivery, on behalf of: Missouri Department of Conservation 2901 W. Truman Blvd. · PO Box 180 · Jefferson City MO 65102-0180

11-Dec-15
It was inevitable, and now the Department of Conservation has officially sold out to the cross-bow companies.

11-Dec-15
It was inevitable, and now the Department of Conservation has officially sold out to the cross-bow companies.

12-Dec-15
I'm right with you deerguy. The crossbow is no different now than when compound bows came out back when. I'm glad they are allowed. They are just as much "archery" as a compound. If you really want to be an archer, go to the stick and string. I am glad for all the changes... and the NOT changing the gun season.

13-Dec-15
tico, I shoot a recurve and compound, I am not able to set my bow, already cocked and loaded, into a lead sled and just be able to mount my phone on the scope(so I do not have to look thru the scope) and just pull the trigger like a crossbow...

not even close to being the same...

13-Dec-15

Just for fun...

14-Dec-15
A COMPOUND BOW ISN'T ARCHERY EITHER. No closer than a crossbow anyways.

14-Dec-15
LOL Tico! That should stir things up again.

I love how some will take to the woods with a compound bow with all the bells and whistles and think they are the elite bow hunters with a holier than thou attitude about what is archery hunting and what is cheating, [Crossbows]. 60 years ago I may have had the same attitude about compounds if they were available then, but today I am just thankful to be able to hunt during bow season with my crossbow.

15-Dec-15
Not sure how a scoped crossbow, with a shoulder stock, rest and predrawn arrow is just as much archery as a compound...but OK. Well at least the poor souls that can't possible draw a 50lbs bow with 80% let off don't need a special permit anymore. One good thing is now I can let my 6 year old daughter "bow hunt".

15-Dec-15
I'd love to see you compare and contrast the three weapons to justify that statement Tico. I'm not seeing how shooting a compound is as unlike a recurve as much as a crossbow is.

16-Dec-15
Finally! Action on the Mo forum. Yay!!!!!

16-Dec-15
OK Schmitty.

Longbow shares these 3 things with a compound. String, arrow, and has to be drawn. Thats basically it.

Crossbow share these things with a compound: String, arrow, graduated sights with lights or magnification, you don't have to hold the full draw weight of the bow, both loose the arrow via a trigger be it release or on a stock, (i mean seriously, 85-90% let-off), shooting over 300fps. In truth, the ONLY major difference is that it is pre drawn.

Here is the silliness of all of this. For the bowhunting elitist, the NUMBER 1 argument is always "you don't have to draw a crossbow in the presence of the animal." That's what it ALWAYS comes back to. But these same elitist do everything possible to gain an advantage in this area: 20ft. ladders and pop-up blinds being the 2 most common contraptions to conceal this movement. So unless you are on the ground in the woods, you don't really have a valid argument. Once you get above 15ft, it is not hard to draw on a deer. And even so, when did the ability to secretly draw a bow with a deer around become a GREAT SKILL. It even sounds silly. Say it out loud and hear yourself.

As far as the tons of new hunters and the perceived slaughter to come... show some REAL data. You can't because it isn't there. In every state that has allowed the crossbow, there was no ensuing massacre. Harvests and numbers changed very little. Neither did the number of archery numbers.

So really, unless you are shooting a longbow, or a compound exclusively from the ground, there really isn't much of an argument.

16-Dec-15
I've never said I was against the crossbow being legalized, but I personally do get more out of hunting with my compound than a crossbow. I just don't agree with guys that argue tht a crossbow doesn't increase your effective kill range and that they take as much practice as a compound. They are extremely accurate and easy to shoot! I won't be using one until the day I need to, but to each there own, I could care less if guys want to use them, but it gets old hearing people argue that they're just as hard to shoot as a compound. I borrowed a buddies for my boy to use during youth rifle season, I could hammer the target at 100 yards and my boy was great at 50 and 60 yards and neither of us had shot one before. And his scope was off and it took all of three shots to get it zero'd in. Not as easy as my rifle but much easier than my compound!

16-Dec-15
I agree, straight out of the box they are easier. But to say they have a greater tactical advantage over a compound than a compound does over a longbow is absurd. Go out in your yard at 35 yards and shoot 5 arrows out of each weapon and tell me which groups look like the other. THAT is why a compound isn't like a longbow. And that was the question you asked. The tactical advantage of a compound over a longbow is FAR and AWAY greater than a crossbow over a compound.

16-Dec-15
No argument, I can't shoot my long bow worth a darn! I regularly shoot my compound at 70 yards, but 100 has cost me many an arrow, but with the crossbow I probably shot 20 bolts and they all were within a couple inches of the bulls eye. I was just curious your thoughts on how compounds and crossbows were the same as far "archery" is concerned. Still don't see it, but that's ok I'm really not that worried about either.

16-Dec-15
Off of that subject, I'm glad to see doe season shortened. The deer numbers in my area were way down!!! Tico, isn't your spot up near Kirksville too? How were the numbers near you?

16-Dec-15

tico's embedded Photo
tico's embedded Photo
It was ODD this year. Opening morning my Bro in law saw 14 and my dad 9. After that it was BAD. I killed a 10point with my gun that got stolen while I was gone to get the truck. My dad and Bro in law each killed a buck. That was it. No does. So I think they were down over all. My place was really dead for gun season. Only saw 2 deer for the week. Saw everything on the leased place.

I did kill a nice buck (Pic attached) with my bow and a small doe with my bow. Killed the buck my first afternoon to hunt. Then killed the doe that saturday the weekend before Gun season.

Where are you at? My place is near Montgomery Woods CA.

16-Dec-15

tico's embedded Photo
tico's embedded Photo
Here's a little better view.

16-Dec-15
Damn, that sucks! Can't believe people would steal another guys deer! I'm off of 156 past La Plata, past South Gifford off the Charitin river. Good looking bow kill! I'm not too far from Sugar creek CA

16-Dec-15
We are CLOSE then. I assume you mean West of Gifford. And yes. It sucked. I had drug him to the gay with the 4 wheeler. I just wasn't big enough to get him on the rack. I knew I could get him in the truck. Was gone maybe 10 minutes. Got back and he was GONE.

16-Dec-15
Yeah it's west of the town of South Gifford. My road actually runs from CC to N. Man I've worried about that happening to me, been lucky so far! I bet you were pissed!

17-Dec-15
I don't understand how you guys can say the MDC has sold out to crossbow companies. Lol I hunt with a recurve and long bow and the old school guys from the 60's and 70's were saying the exact same thing about most of you that hunt with compound bows! lol that they were too powerful, took all the skill out, state game agencies were selling out to big money, deer herds woul;d be totally decimated ect ect. Yet here we are with bigger herds and bigger seasons. I just don't get it. I don't think compound guys are cheating just like I don't think crossbows are cheating. I personally wrote the conservation dept telling them that they should include crossbows years ago and more recently this year in support of the amendment.

17-Dec-15
Oh yeah I was mad. When I got back and that deer was gone ??. I met a car when I was heading back. I spun around and ran him down. I started yelling at him but he didn't have it. He said " I just helped 2 guys load one." They told him they had just killed it. So I hauled butt the other way but didn't catch up to them.

I will try and look you up next year. We can't be more than 10 miles apart.

17-Dec-15
Yeah, look me up. Always nice talking hunting with new people!

• Sitka Gear