Drop Tine 02-Sep-17
WoundChannel 02-Sep-17
ground hunter 03-Sep-17
Tweed 03-Sep-17
LesWelch 09-Jul-18
LesWelch 09-Jul-18
Crusader dad 24-Aug-18
27-Oct-15
Have hunted a stand for fifteen years with much success. Last year found a huge scrape ten yards away, and the beast never showed. Found a bigger scrape there this morning. Would you guys stay on it or just rotate stands like usual, depending on the wind. Been very quiet in my woods, but am looking forward to the results of cutting this winter.

27-Oct-15
I have never done any good hunting over scrapes. In the flip side I have done quite well hunting rub lines. I would just keep the rotation going you have for stands.

But this is just my observation over the years. My woods has been quiet deer wise also.

27-Oct-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
The majority of my big bucks have been killed over or near scrapes.

I would hunt it but not over-hunt it. Try not to cross the buck's trail on the way in and out. Hunt downwind and only when the wind is right.

You might want to consider putting a black-out trail camera high in a tree overlooking the scrape.

27-Oct-15
Was wondering the same thing. This year so far have many scrapes showing up, but only 2 rubs so far. Did hunt an area with a handful of scrapes Saturday night, but not even a squirrel came by.

27-Oct-15

In this photo I had just killed a mature 8-pointer off of this scrape. 10 minutes later this smaller 8-pointer came along and worked the scrape. He caught the scent of blood on my broken arrow as he was working the scrape.

I love hunting scrapes and nothing gets me pumped up more than finding fresh well used scrapes. I know of several perennial scrapes that are used every year. These have been especially productive.

27-Oct-15
What time of day what the picture CH Mike?

27-Oct-15
About a mile into a huge track of timber I found a very old logging? Road. Found 4 big scrapes before the road ends in a Tamerack swamp.

I pulled out my 20 " knarly antler and put rubs on 2 " trees near the last 2 scrapes. I 'll be there wed morning. I have really good luck with fake rubs.

Beware, after 4 weeks with ni ticks I found 4 on me this morning . LINCOLN COUNTY.

27-Oct-15
I have experiences on both sides of this one. I have hunted scrapes and have been successful on the same token, I have sat patiently to no avail. But I will admit my mind buzzes when hunting over a fresh scrape. Which can lead to making any noise and motion in the woods a deer in your mind lol. Funyy how I can tuen a rock or a stump a hundred yards out to be something I know its not. Glassing it every 15 minuets in hopes that Fred Bear himself had turned it into the deer of your dreams.

27-Oct-15

Elkaddict's embedded Photo
I'm with Mike on this one. Almost all of my big bucks have come off scrapes. I incorporate heavy rattling and grunting sequences in to my sits every 20 minutes from October 22nd on. This buck came in to that sequence while I was sitting a heavy scrape line on this exact date in 2012. Best part is I was in there Sunday and it's lit up with scrapes again. I'll be there tomorrow!

27-Oct-15
This buck was off a scrape the same year. November 4th. Yes a different state.

27-Oct-15

oops here is the pic.

27-Oct-15

This one 2011 to the same sequence that both 2012 bucks fell to.

27-Oct-15
Can't argue with success. Wish I could figure out the trail direction of the most torn up area. Small section of hardwoods with a couple brushy thickets. On the west side is a pond & thick swamp (left as a sanctuary ) on the east side os a power line, part of is planted in a food plot (some clover & grass) and the rest marshy. Further East of the high line is more swamp. I am assuming the west side is the bedding, but don't know and east of the high line is the neighbors property. So, can't scout any further.

27-Oct-15
All fine bucks you have there elk! I too love hunting scrapes!

27-Oct-15
Tell them how high you climb those trees Elk. That might be a key element when getting close and personal. 12 feet off the ground, and not careful about wind and scent, and it won't take long to educate a mature deer.

27-Oct-15

Mnarrowslinger,

The trail camera pic is from 6pm and the photo from my tree stand is from about 8 am.

This photo is the buck I killed off that scrape before the second buck came along.

27-Oct-15

I have success with rattling too but not as much as elkaddict but I don't rely on it as much. I usually hunt about 20 feet up.

Funny thing about Elkaddict's 2011 buck, he texted me while I was in my stand and asked to use my game cart to haul it out. I told him where my truck was parked and to come and get it but bring it back when he's done because I'll be needing it. I was hunting a perennial scrape on the edge of a bedding area that got a lot of action. That afternoon the buck in this photo chased a doe right through that scrape and into my lap.

27-Oct-15

I had hunted an active scrape line in '09 but the big guy didn't show up. The next year during the first week of November I made a quick scouting run to spot check the scrape line and it was active again. The next morning I sneaked in before light and climbed a tree with my climber down wind of the biggest scrape. This buck came through just after first light and I heard him coming as he worked every scrape in the line.

27-Oct-15
Darn nice deer guys.

27-Oct-15

I was set up on a scrape line in my climber on Nov. 4, 2007 listening to the Packers whoop the Raiders. The game ended and I barely got my earbuds packed away when I heard this buck coming working scrapes along the way. I shot him as he was working a scrape 10 yards away.

27-Oct-15
So, if you are not able to hunt all day,what's better for scrape hunting? Morning or pm? Should I be hunting by doe bedding areas yet? Or isn't it quite that time yet?

27-Oct-15
Generally 20' a minimum, the 2012 buck I 30+ feet, but that is higher than normal. That was a tough shot because he was 3 yards from the base of my tree! Far and away the best dates for me have been October 27th-Nov. 4th, with the last few days in October the best. IMO they become much less predictable once Nov. rolls around. I will be "sick" tomorro afternoon, and hunting a scrape line, LOL.

Yep, that was a good year in 2011 Mike!!

28-Oct-15
You guys have definitely changed my thinking on scrapes, I always have them all over the place but have always heard they only get checked at night, so I never paid much attention to actually hunting them. I've got a new tripod and two man ladder stand to put up on Sunday when I get up there. I think I'll set both up on active scrapes and see what happens. The two man will be for my son and man would that be cool if he can witness a buck or two actually working the scrape. My tripod should arrive via fed ex today so I will pre assemble as much as I can this evening. The beans are down and cornfields are being opened up so I should be able to drive the truck right up close to the spots.

28-Oct-15
I don't claim to be an expert on any of this and I'm still learning but I just thought I'd share my experiences in case it helps others along the way.

It’s true that scrapes get a lot of use at night but they are also visited during the day. I’ve had most of my success on scrapes that are back in the woods rather than out in the open on the edge of a field or food plot. I think that bucks are more secure visiting scrapes during the daylight back in the woods than they are visiting them on the edge of a field but that can change as things heat up and the bucks are spending more time cruising and searching. The scenario that Ruger described with the old logging road dead-ending at the tamarack swamp sounds perfect. For me, the first week of November has been the best for daytime action although the action usually picks up the last week of October.

The common denominator for most of my buck kills at scrapes is the element of surprise. Much of my success happened the first time I hunted the particular scrape or the first time that year. I believe that your chance for success probably goes down a little each time you hunt there. Therefore I try to keep a very low profile around the scrapes that I’m hunting and I don’t walk around them too much so I don’t spread my scent around anymore than necessary. I’d be very careful with stand placement and try to conceal my stand or not have it in a place that is too noticeable. I personally don’t have any experience with ladder stands or tripod stands so I don’t know if they would be too obvious. I use my climber most of the time even on my own property so there’s nothing in the tree except when I’m there.

For the record, I also pay a lot of attention to rubs and rub lines and they have played a role in success too. If you follow a rubline usually it will lead to finding scrapes. Scrapes and rubs kind of go hand in hand and although rubs and rublines are great, if there is a big scrape along the rubline that is where I’ll hunt.

All scrapes aren’t created equal. Some are never visited again but some get used throughout the season and are used year after year. A lot of deer that visit scrapes don’t actually scrape at the ground; they just work the overhanging branches. I had a stand up north near a perennial scrape that I used to hunt a lot before the deer population got decimated. Nearly every deer (does, fawns, young bucks, mature bucks) that passed through the area would stop and visit that scrape. Although very few of them actually scraped the ground, nearly every one of them sniffed or worked the overhanging branches. I monitor a few scrapes with trail cameras and the photos show that most deer that visit scrapes don’t actually scrape the ground. Therefore a scrape could be getting a lot more traffic than it looks like.

I think the best scrapes are in or close to thick cover and/or bedding areas or in transition areas between bedding and feeding areas. I think scrapes along the open edges of fields or food plots are more likely to be visited at night or at last light. That being said, anything can happen once the bucks are on their feet cruising and searching… Like right now guys!

28-Oct-15

In 2012 I was hunting a big 8 point that I had numerous trail cam photos of from that year and the previous couple years.

I had a camera set up monitoring one of those perennial scrapes. After the leaves fell and filled the scrape it wasn't getting scraped much anymore but deer were still passing through, scraping lightly and working the overhanging branches.

On October 21st at 9:22 AM while I was hunting a different stand, the big 8 passed through the scrape, worked it lightly and gave me 3 decent daytime photos. He was killed the next year by a gun hunter.

28-Oct-15

Here's a decent 10 point walking past that same scrape at about noon on Halloween day that same year.

28-Oct-15

Elkaddict's Link
I forgot my hard drive today, so I only have a limited number of photo's and video on computer. Here's one of many from a scrape last year. Neat to see what they do.

28-Oct-15

Here are a couple young bucks in a little sparring match captured at 10:38 am by a camera high in tree above a scrape...

28-Oct-15
This is the best thread in terms of knowledge I have seen on here in a long time if not ever. Thanks Elkaddict and Cheesehead mike for the insight.

Elkaddict could you elaborate on your rattling/ grunt sequence a little more?

28-Oct-15

Another young buck at a scrape during the day...

28-Oct-15

mnarrowslinger's embedded Photo
mnarrowslinger's embedded Photo
I have always been cautious about rattling. I know it works for some areas, but areas with fewer mature deer make me think they already know there isn't much competition in the woods. So hearing a brawl to them would sound out of place. I am hunting tomorrow until sunday, and am contemplating rattling/grunting, but have mixed thoughts on the matter. Photo is main target deer btw.

28-Oct-15
Nice buck mnarrowslinger, good luck!

28-Oct-15

On that out of state hunt in 2012 that Elkaddict mentioned above, I had gotten there a day before him and had spent the first day scouting. I walked a mostly dry creek bottom and checked out several deer crossings. At one of the crossings I found a well used scrape in the sand in the dry creek bed. The next evening I set up watching the crossing with the big scrape. Elkaddict was set up on another crossing about 75 yards away. Well before dark this buck came walking up the creek bed and stopped just out of range and turned as if he was going to take the trail up the creek bank away from me. All of a sudden he turned and walked straight to the scrape, worked it over good, stood on his hind legs to reach the overhanging branches and then took the trail out of the creek bed that went right past my stand.

He's not the biggest buck in the world but I was happy with him for a quick out of state hunt.

I think the message here is that I was hunting an area that I had never stepped foot in before in my life and by finding an active scrape in a transition area I was able to have some quick luck.

28-Oct-15
Thanks ACU bowhunter and you're welcome. It's fun to talk about this stuff especially this time of year!

I know Elkaddict really "tears it up" with his rattling and calling sequences. I'm sure he'll weigh in with some details.

28-Oct-15

One more and then I think I'm done... ;^)

I had a spot along a creek bank at a good crossing and there was always a good scrape there. On October 20th, 2000 I slipped in at midday to spot check it and it looked great and the scrape was heavily used.

The next day, Oct. 21st the wind was right and I was in a stand overlooking the crossing and scrape. One of my best friends from High School had been killed recently in a car/deer accident leaving behind a wife and 5 kids. The following day, the 22nd would have been his 40th birthday. I sat in my stand thinking about my buddy, reflecting on our friendship and I vowed to get even with a couple deer for him this year. Literally as I was having that thought, this buck came cruising through. He weighed 255 pounds field dressed.

28-Oct-15
mnarrowslinger,

For the most part Mike and I hunt low density, higher pressure, public lands. There's times up North where we literally sit days on end without seeing a deer. That buck up above from 2011 was the first deer I had seen from stand in 49 hours. He came in hard and fast to a 3 minute bleating, grunting, rattling sequence. I am 100% confident that I wouldn't have seen either that or the 2012 buck with out those rattling/calling sequences. These words are so big, broken up with ponds, swamps, clearcuts, etc that there is a much better chance that they get around you then come to you. My thought process is that if I can reach out 3-500 yards with rattling/grunting and give cruising deer an opportunity to "zone" in on me I have a much better chance of getting them in range. This time of year I also do my sequences a minimum of 3 times per hour, sometimes even more. These bucks are on the feet moving and they cover ground quick. I could rattle now, and 10 minutes later a buck could have covered a half mile and be within hearing range. I don't care if I spook 1.5 year old or immature bucks.....and on the contrary it doesn't. It usually brings them in also. Had 3 come in this past week-end....all within 5 yards of the base of my tree. That's the one sketchy thing...they can pinpoint you good so you have to be ready. I'm off to try it right now. Good luck!

28-Oct-15
Good luck to you too,

IF you don't mind sharing, what sort of sequence do you do?

28-Oct-15
So it sounds like being 20 ft+ up in the tree is key to a lot of this. Which i guess makes sense less sent, less chance that your motion will go detected.

28-Oct-15
ACU +1.

Great thread. Also, interested in the rattling sequence. My experience is feast or famine with it. My favorite bowsite inspired hunt came from rattling, though. My hunting partner knew exactly what he was doing, however. I was just lucky enough to tag along. Since then I have rattled in a few, but nothing over 2.5 yrs old.

28-Oct-15
Well said guys!! Probably one of the best reads I have seen since I've been on this site. Thank you!!!

28-Oct-15
Great read and thanks for everyone sharing their tales. On the grunting/ rattling topic, I have tagged most of my bucks within fifteen minutes of ground rattling when coming into my stand. I tiptoe in like a deer, and mouth grunt every few seconds. I rattle for about thirty seconds, and break brush etc. I've missed a few opportunities when the buck arrives before I am in position, but I rotate to different fixed stands every two hours.

28-Oct-15
Great read and thanks for everyone sharing their tales. On the grunting/ rattling topic, I have tagged most of my bucks within fifteen minutes of ground rattling when coming into my stand. I tiptoe in like a deer, and mouth grunt every few seconds. I rattle for about thirty seconds, and break brush etc. I've missed a few opportunities when the buck arrives before I am in position, but I rotate to different fixed stands every two hours.

28-Oct-15
Great thread with very good info.

Some really knowledgeable, dedicated bowhunters and great deer too.

28-Oct-15
excellent thread

28-Oct-15
Thanks guys glad you're enjoying it and happy to share experiences.

Thanks to Sheldon too for starting the thread!

28-Oct-15
Mike, great pics and stories. Best thread in quite a while

28-Oct-15
When rattling in the morning, do you wait until it's light out or do it when you are waiting for light? I've thought about grunting on my way too the stand and rattle as soon as I climb up trying to disguise the fact that I am a human walking in the dark but I get there so early I'd be afraid the deer would come in before good light. Any opinions?

28-Oct-15
I wait until daylight. It might be considered hunting before light.

Just a side story, one morning while walking in the dark on my way to the stand I stopped to put scent on a drag rag. I walked towards my stand and stopped to place the rag where i would want the buck to stop for a shot. A short time later I heard a deer approaching then I saw eyes glowing as they approached me. the buck got less than ten feet from me so I could see a nice rack. He could not see me behind my headlamp. He followed my scent trail. After a few minutes he left without our having develop, well, a relationship.

That could have turned bad for me if he attacked and I also thought how many hunters would have chanced the shot in the dark.

I had plenty of action that day but did not get that buck that day.

28-Oct-15
I guess I never really thought of night hunting from rattling or grunting. But I guess if I grunt going in and there happens to be a warden that hears me he has no way to distinguish what my motive for doing so was. I don't use calls or rattling very often and cannot attribute one deer to actually coming to my call. I have had deer come through not long after calling but nothing in their body language ever gave me a reason to think they were investigating what they heard. I come from the crowd of sit still and shut up! I guess now if I do it with no results I instinctively feel like it was my noise that made me not see something. I am certainly going to try again a few times this week.

28-Oct-15
He does not have to distinguish your intentions, you are in the act of hunting. Using calls is an act of hunting.

28-Oct-15
Great read Elk addict and Mike!! Also great bucks! I 100% agree with hunting scrapes this time of year. Also agree with only hunting those scrapes back in the woods and not on field edges. Although I did see a nice half rack 8pt make a scrape on the edge of a corn field last week. We have a community scrape that gets hit year round and almost every deer stops to work that branch and sniff around it. My favorite thing to do is put a camera over a scrape, it's amazing now many deer will work it. I do have more luck with grunting than I do rattling. It is incredible how they can pin point where it came from and be on you fast. I will rattle, grunt, or bleat every hour or so this time of year. Also think it's very important when you see a buck to read his body language and not over call him. If he acknowledges you and you can tell he heard you, be quiet.

29-Oct-15
I really enjoy the stories and pictures provided by expoerienced "no BS" hunters like yourselves. While I have killed quite a few bucks in my time in the woods I never fail to learn and pick up something from the experiences of other "brothers of the bow!" Thanks again guys!

29-Oct-15
ok, so don't do any calling before daylight and try setting up over a fresh scrape inside the timber, not the ones along the field edges. I am going to add these tidbits into my hunting repertoire. I found it interesting that this thread has been going strong and then last night one of my favorite hunting shows covered this exact topic. The host basically agreed with all of you guys that scrapes are a great way to get on a nice buck. I was talking with another hunter after that show and that hunter says he will follow a rub line as far back as he can get until he thinks he's very near the bedroom, find the closest scrape and hunt there figuring the buck is going to hit that scrape first and most likely during the daylight hours. That makes good sense to me. On another note a lot of you guys use climbers to get very high in the trees, does being that high affect shot accuracy?

29-Oct-15
Crusader,

I practice from the same height in my back yard for that very reason. I use a single pin adjustable. I have it marked for blind shooting and stand shooting

29-Oct-15
Awesome thread here. Keep this up and some of us long timers might start coming back to this site.

I hunted a fresh scrape in the Chequamegon a number of years ago. So at first light I hit a grunt sequence and about a minute later I hear a deer coming through the cedar swamp on a line. He pops out of the swamp and I can see immediately that he's a shooter. I come to full draw as he hits the scrape and stops broadside at 20 yards. That's when I realized that my target peep sight was much too small to let in the light that early. I couldn't find him in the peep sight so I couldn't take the shot.

The two lessons learned are 1) scrapes are worth hunting over, 2) get a bigger peep site for hunting situations, or don't hit the grunt call until you're sure you'll be able to see through the peep...dumbass!

29-Oct-15
Yes I truly enjoy this thread also. It's nice to see something "productive" back on the WI page. It's been a long while.

I never rattle or grunt prior to being able to shoot. Sometimes it happens fast....within seconds. On the flip side when doing the sequence as often as I do you have to remain alert pretty much all times. Sometimes it will take 15 minutes for a buck to respond. I always really survey my surroundings before the next sequence to make sure I don't have something working in before I start smashing the horns together.

I use a set of 3.5 year old 10 point sheds (130" class) with the brows and burr stickers ground off. The tend to really smash the fingers lol. I always have a Primos Long Range Can call, Primos Buck Roar, Drury Mad Growl, and HS True Talker. I will use the can call and all the grunt tubes. I make it sound like a hot doe with multiple bucks chasing that winds up in fight (rattling). It seems to work well for me.

29-Oct-15
A couple of additional thoughts. When I grunt my way into my stands I always do it after light is up. Biggest buck I have taken came in a first light as I just got up in the tree. Had the same peep sight issue, but took my time and adjusted based on my natural anchor. Now use a red dot sight as I am in my mid sixties and have old eyes. I also use a brush cutter to clear the route to the stand so I don't leave scent. My rubber boots seem to do the trick as long as I don't spray anything on them. And I move every two hours or so and repeat the sequence at least two hundred yards away. And really appreciate all the other approaches that seem to be working for other experienced hunters.

29-Oct-15
Thanks again guys!

Elkaddict and I have some differences in our styles. Like Crusader Dad, I'm from the "sit still and shut up" camp so I kind of have to talk myself into rattling and making noise.

I've never rattled while walking into my stand but I have grunted occasionally but only when it's daylight. Over the years I've had several bucks approach in the dark while I was at the base of my tree getting ready to climb up. I'm sure they heard me walk in and were horny/curious and came to investigate.

Your style of hunting can turn into a "self fulfilling prophecy". In other words if you always do something a certain way it will influence the statistics. I guess what I'm saying is that if I almost always hunt near active scrapes it stands to reason that most of my bucks will be killed near active scrapes. If Elkaddict almost always shakes rattles and rolls, most of his bucks will be killed that way. It's just something to be aware of I guess.

I have called in numerous bucks with rattling, grunting and my old original Quaker Boy "deer in a can" but none of the bucks I posted in this thread were rattled, grunted or "canned" in. Every one of them was killed by sitting quietly and watching active scrapes. I have killed several bucks in the past by rattling and calling but all of them were 2 1/2 year olds. I have rattled and called in mature bucks but I just haven't been able to kill them, in fact just 2 weeks ago I rattled in a mature 8 pointer but I missed. Most of the bucks that I've called in with the can have been yearlings and I've had a lot of fun with them calling them in multiple times and watching them run around like horny teenagers on spring break.

I started using scents about 30 years ago back when Tinks #69 first came out and there was a time when I felt like I couldn't go out hunting without a bottle of it stinking up my pocket. During those years I had a lot of fun with different kinds of scents and lured in a lot of yearlings and a few 2 year olds with it... but never a mature buck. I know others, smokey included have luck with scents but I have abandoned them almost completely. Every mature buck I have ever killed has been without the use of scents and that includes cover scents. Since I stopped using all scents, my big buck sightings have gone way up but that could also be partially attributed to becoming a better hunter over the years. The one exception is the use of real tarsal glands (saved and frozen from previous bucks) placed on or near a decoy.

29-Oct-15

I'm looking through my photos so to keep this thread going I thought I'd post some more daytime scrape photos.

This one was at 2:52 pm on 11/08/11

29-Oct-15

This one was at 6:01 on 11/02

29-Oct-15

This one was at 10:39 am on 11/03

29-Oct-15

4:45 pm on 10/26. They're not all big :^)

29-Oct-15

Another little guy at noon on 10/28

29-Oct-15

Sometimes you can find a good bottleneck along a scrape/rub line or between areas with good rubs and scrapes. It might be better to hunt the bottleneck rather than a certain scrape.

Here's a situaton where I had a good bottleneck between scraped up areas and I set up a camera in the bottleneck and turned the flash off so I would only get daytime photos and not have the camera flash in the deer's faces.

Here's a little guy passing through about noon on 10/28

29-Oct-15

Here's a decent 10 point that passed through about noon on 10/31. Probably the same buck posted in another photo above...

29-Oct-15

I was hunting one of those bottlenecks between areas with good buck sign on the afterneen of 11/10/13 and this guy passed through.

Funny thing about that hunt, my brother was living in Florida at the time and we were texting back and forth while I was in my tree. He jokingly said that he was looking at me on Google Earth and I should turn around because there was a 150 class 10 pointer behind me. Minutes later this buck came through, I shot him and watched him drop in sight. I climbed down and about 10 minutes later I texted my brother a photo of the buck and told him that it's not quite a 150 incher but not a bad guess from so far away! ;^)

29-Oct-15

Kingston's embedded Photo
Great thread!! Found this scrape on a small suburban 40 I hunt and got some great pics! I'll be here tomorrow...

29-Oct-15

a couple more from same scrape.

29-Oct-15

29-Oct-15
Look at both of those bucks looking at the camera. It's daylight so I am assuming they are hearing the camera.

29-Oct-15
yup, it's a cheepo camera and why I don't have it there any more...the pics were from when I first got permission to hunt this property and I was curious what was around...needless to say, I liked what I saw!

29-Oct-15

I actually started hunting this scrape in 2013, here is the 1st buck I shot...

29-Oct-15

2014 same scrape...can't wait for tomorrow!!!

29-Oct-15
Great photos and awesome bucks Kingston!

29-Oct-15
Nice!! Man this time of year is FUN FUN FUN!

29-Oct-15
Man, you guys have gotten some nice bucks. Point taken. I am not going to put all my eggs in the scrape basket but I'm certainly going to pay more attention to that part of the equation than I would have if it wasn't for this thread.

30-Oct-15
I think Cheesehead Mike summed it up very well, we tend to find a technique that works for us and keep repeating it over the years. Nice to hear how different hunters approach things and learn that they also can be successful. And thanks to Kingston for the pics.

30-Oct-15
Would like to hear an opinion about scouting and sitting. Do you actually go and scout an area the same day you sit it? For example would you go walking around in the am & if finding something walk out & come back later for the afternoon hunt? I'm from the low impact camp and usually by the time I am walking in to sit, I've already decided on the spot unless I pass another area with hot sign on the way in. After reading other posts here I'm 2nd guessing and assuming some of you are walking in and out of the woods a couple of times a day? Would you go check a few different stand sights to scout first and come back later to sit?

30-Oct-15
I rarely hunt an area the same day I scouted it but sometimes sign is so hot that you just can't hunt anywhere else. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot.

Some of my scouting consists of spot-checking previously hunted areas and then I will hunt the same day because I haven't disturbed the area.

Sometimes when scouting a new area I'll hit really hot sign. I'll hit the skids and back out, get my gear and come back in if I haven't disturbed the area much. In those situations sometimes my first choice for a stand site might not be the best and I'll fine tune based on deer sightings or finding more/better sign.

When I killed the buck in '07 after the Packer game that I posted above I was actually on my way in deeper to a different spot but I hit really hot sign on the way in so I decided to climb a tree there. That buck came from the opposite direction I expected and actually crossed my path before he got to me...

31-Oct-15
Got my name back!!!!! This is why I like my climber. I have a lot of area I hunt (public) and you need to find the spots in the spots. I found a large kept up scrape Thursday late AM. I sat down wind of it Thursday PM and rattled in a true giant. A beautiful heavy white horned brute. Unfortunately, like the big ones ten to do, he hung up in thick crap at 50 yards and then vanished. Of coarse, now there was another vehicle parked by there Friday PM. I missed my op, but sure was exciting.

31-Oct-15

I'm always learning and lots to learn from on this thread!!! 30 yrs ago when I started bow hunting my Dad pulled out these 2 books and told me to read and study them...I still go back yearly and skim parts to keep me thinking...lots on scrape hunting, especially in the Rothhar book.

31-Oct-15

the other book...

31-Oct-15
Regarding scouting, I don't do it during the rut. I have 200 acres of private land and have my stands set on the edges and along logging roads, so I don't leave much scent when I enter and leave. Even so, my stands tend to burn out. I think I make just enough noise and leave just enough scent that the old does are suspicious that something isn't quite right. It is thick woods and I also suspect that many of the big bucks hang up like Live2hunt said and then they avoid the spot after that.

31-Oct-15
Kingston...both of those are GOOD books. Don't leave out any of the ones by the Wensel boys. Another reason to join Pope and Young. Got to have lunch with Gene and Barry in Rochester....those guys know what they're talking about. Met Roger Rothaar at Bloomington-had lunch with Mel Johnson, Jim Dougherty and Roger. We got to talking about spooking a larger buck out of a woods. Roger said that if one intrusion spooks a buck out you can't kill him anyway. I'd listen to those guys before any of the Drurys or the TV "personalities". Just my $.02-LC

31-Oct-15
I do scouting whenever it seems I need to. Try "speed scouting" (Gene Wensel's term). It does seem that if your motions seem more deliberate like you are looking for a lost mitten or something they seem to sense the difference.

01-Nov-15
Agree, used to jog through one of my hunting spots and deer would just stand completely still as long as you didn't make a move toward them. If I have to go into a prime area outside of hunting it I don't try to sneak and sometimes even "quietly" whistle or talk as if working in the woods. Some of the best areas are also fished fairly heavily during the fall salmon and brown trout run so deer get used to fishermen coming and going, IMO.

03-Nov-15
I've rattled in 10 bucks to within 10 yards of the same set over my last 3 sits. 9 of those 10 bucks were within 4 yards or less of my tree! All 10 have showed up within less than 3 minutes of my sequence. I have a scrape within shooting distance both East and West of me, a little pond 25 yards to the South. These bucks are all responding well and they are honing in on the sound with amazing accuracy. I've yet to see a doe or be busted by any of the bucks. I'll go to the rut report and update the happenings. If you are not calling and rattling you are missing the boat IMO. Two friends that I convinced to start doing this over the week-end both rattled in and killed P&Y class bucks today. One at 8 am and one at 1 pm. Mike the Cheesehead rattled in a P&Y buck this morning with no shot, another buddy rattled in a P&Y and didn't get a shot this morning.

05-Nov-15

I want him!

05-Nov-15
I've had no response to rattling, even immediately after the end of a real deer fight and when i can see a buck. I think I'll sit quietly and let my son use the antlers if he chooses.

23-Nov-15

Elkaddict, you got a bigger one!

I just thought I'd update this thread with some more recent daytime scrape photos.

You can see the buck sniffing the overhanging branch in this photo.

23-Nov-15

In this photo you can actually see his tongue as he's tasting the overhanging branch.

23-Nov-15

He's working the overhanging branch pretty good here...

10-Dec-15
Fantastic perspectives from everyone involved. Great photos as proof that scrape hunting, during daylight hours pays off! Thanks for sharing!

14-Dec-15
I'll second that!

My hats off to the all the above who have developed their skills and techniques to consistently put the big ones down!

I'll nominate this one for "thread of year"!

Wish there were more like it!

14-Dec-15
Elkaddict-

Are you using real horns or a rattle bag?

15-Dec-15
this is a great thread...... Novice I will give you my 2 cents, and have been lucky a few times.....

Public Land - big woods, scouted all spring, for my guest guess on set ups, that time of year I build my natural blinds, and pick my areas and trees......

Concentrate on rub lines, funnels, pinch points, saddles and terrain change...... I like to focus on where at least 3 different terrains come together, with good edge areas, there you will find movement sign....

On public land, during the season, if I find, smoking hot sign, I hunt it right now,,,, I do not go back to the truck, I just hunt it,,,,,, might only get a day or so out of it, might pick the wrong spot, and get winded, but when I find really hot sign, the feet stop and I set up......

private land different story..... hope this helps....

Kingston, nice bucks

15-Dec-15
Novice - one more tip..... leave the flashlite in the pocket,,,,,, spooks more deer than you can imagine,,,,,

I go in, when I can just barely see, and make my way in, at the earliest lite I can use,,,,, I hate flashlites in the morning

15-Dec-15
I agree with all of razorhead's comments above.

Bigwoods, I think I can speak for Elkaddict. He uses real 130" class antlers. He's very aggresive with his rattling and I think it would be tough do what he does with a rattle bag.

15-Dec-15
razorhead, I hunt big woods the same way exactly. I always walk in when I can without a light too, almost all my action has been after 8am anyway and makes all-day sits easier. Prime time 10am-2pm and dusk.

15-Dec-15

I thought I'd post a few more daytime scrape photos. Not big bucks but daytime activity none the less...

15-Dec-15

15-Dec-15

15-Dec-15

15-Dec-15

15-Dec-15
Work's getting in the way of Bowsite this week, lol. Yes Mike is right. 135"ish real rack. Brow tines cut and ground smooth, along with burrs on the pedicles. There isn't any way I could get the needed sound from a rattle bag.

I've been working with Sitka, HUD, and Rokslide and will be featuring a short clip on how I do it. I'll post when it's done.

15-Dec-15

I grunted this buck in on November 12th this year while hunting downwind of some big scrapes near the convergence of deer trails.

There were trails and rubs in the area but I hung my stand based on where the scrapes were. This was the first time I had ever hunted this spot.

15-Dec-15
Has any other hunters in heavy wolf country noticed the lack of main scrapes and rub lines?

Used to be area's where trails crossed or coming out of the marshes where rub lines and scrapes were every year. Now spread all over the place and the scrapes are hit a few times then they move on to another area.

I know by me the deer have "adapted" to the wolves. We now have bigger bodied longer legged deer from old does to fawns. You can just see the difference. I think they also kind of stopped using main scrape area's.

It is the only thing I can think of for the lack of them being around as the mature bucks are still around.

Great thread with tons of info.

15-Dec-15
Thanks for the responses to my question. I also have another one. When you guys refer to "spot checking", what exactly does that mean? One of the places I hunt has numerous old logging roads throughput. This allows for less commotion walking in and out. I don't suspect most deer just follow the roads, however. I do see scrapes on these roads, though. I wonder how the rest of you would approach hunting this type of woods?

15-Dec-15
I think you would be surprised at how deer will take the easiest path if not pressured.

16-Dec-15
Novice,

I have some spots that I have hunted in the past (previous years) and I know where to expect scrapes and rubs to appear. Usually I will have thoroughly scouted those areas during a previous spring after snow melt or during a previous hunting season so I'm familiar with the lay of the land, vegetation, etc.

When I "spot check" them I walk in taking the most direct route to where I've found sign like scrapes, rubs, trails, etc. in the past. I don't walk all over and disturb or stink up the area, I'm just doing a quick check to see if there is sign where I expect it to be. If there is, I'll hunt it and keep my disturbance to a minimum. If I don't find sign where it was in the past I might do a more thorough scouting job to see if there is sign elsewhere in the area.

16-Dec-15
Mike are you and that buck related? Brothers? Cousins?

He seems to have the same smile you do.

16-Dec-15
Not that I know of...?

Yeah, I'm not very good at smiling so I don't do it very often. I wasn't sure how to do it so I just copied the buck :^)

16-Dec-15
Mike-

Can you give some examples of the bottlenecks you referred to earlier?

Thanks!!

16-Dec-15
Novice - I am slowing down, but I have been hell on wheels for close to 40 years. some of my best bucks I have never killed, either missed, or just watched, as either my tag was filled, or I was in the wrong spot....

Related to Scrape Hunting, here are some of my other observations, that may help. Regardless if your tag is filled, take advantage of this weather and scout like heck......

when I was younger I forgot ice fishing and everything else, and just scouted and scouted. having little to no private land, if you want to take a nice buck in the NF, you have to do your homework......

One thing I truly believe in, is finding rub lines, and look for the older rub lines. you may find an area that has no fresh rubs, but lots of old rubs....

those old rubs tell a story, and I can almost date rubs, after all the years. You may not find fresh rubs, but an old rub site, is telling you, this is a travel route......

Here is another observation, I believe that mature bucks, well some of them do not rub at all, but they show up along these old rub lines, and its a short window, during legal hours, that you can catch em.

I also believe that a lot of old nice bucks, do not even breed, or chase around, I know some of my old partners thought I was nuts, but I was convinced of this...... jumping big bucks, who had not moved for days during the rut, the sign was there to read.

Nov 3 -7th and late late season, with cold weather...

revisit your scrape areas during late season, it can pay off.......

good luck

17-Dec-15

Good post razorhead. Maybe I can learn something too.

I always take rubs into account when scouting and I've seen a lot of bucks in areas with rubs. I'm curious though if you or anybody else has ever seen a buck return to a big rub like a signpost rub and visit it the way they visit scrapes. I've heard it happens but I've never seen it myself.

Bigwoods,

On the attached photo I've put some red X's in bottleneck areas between ponds and swamps.

Bottlenecks can also be formed around the head of a ravine where deer will follow the ravine and go around the top end of it on flat ground rather than crossing through the ravine. A lot of times when there is logging activity the cutting will stop short of the ravine to leave a buffer of uncut mature trees to prevent erosion into the ravine. This can create a good bottleneck or pinch point between the head of the ravine and the new growth from logging. It also becomes a point where 3 types of cover/terrain (mature forest, young growth, ravine) come together which can be good.

I've found that long narrow bottlenecks (like the one in the upper right of the photo) are not as good as shorter bottlenecks (like the 2 in the center of the photo). I think the deer feel more vulnerable, or maybe more trapped in a long narrow bottle neck than they do in a short one where they can get through the narrow spot quicker.

I've also noticed that even though there might be a trail right through the middle or on one side of the bottleneck, mature does and bucks will usually pass through on the downwind side so they're more likely to catch scent of danger that might be waiting in the bottleneck. So keep that in mind when hanging a stand in a bottleneck. Sometimes you can hang your stand on the downwind side on the edge of swamp or pond where nothing can get downwind of you unless they are across the pond/swamp. This is a setup that both me and Elkaddict often use when rattling.

Of course during the rut, a buck might cross through the bottleneck anywhere and will sometimes cruise through right on the main trail with his nose to the ground.

18-Dec-15
Good stuff. Thanks Mike!!

18-Dec-15
X2 with Razorhead & Mike.

Razorhead your right. I pretty much think the same way as you with rub lines. The ones that really get me excited are the ones that head into thick bedding areas, especially ones going into cattails with humps.(dead giveaway) Tough to hunt, but it can be done. Get in there extremely early & burrow right in there with him You're probably only going to get 1 chance so you better do everything right the first time.(best to attempt before the rut kicks in)

Mike, your observations on bucks using the downwind side of a bottle neck are spot on also. Its good to be pasted up as close as possible to the breaking terrain to keep them from getting down wind on you.

IMO If you have a good, productive bottle neck, you should always have at least 2 stands or 2 trees to climb for different wind directions.

19-Dec-15
I look along swamp and creek bottoms for those areas with multiple old and new rubs. Those hold the key to a bucks bedding area and there exit out of there. You then need to find those funnels within that spot to get them close. pre-rut seems to be best, as soon as you start seeing fresh rubs show up. Then I look for those large kept up scrapes. I have although had better luck getting shooting distance from these scraps than setting up down wind 50 yards or so. They always seem to come all the way into them.

19-Dec-15
Great thread and a fun read...also great pics!!!

I'm not new at this stuff...I'm a ...uh..."seasoned" citizen at 63 :^). But I have a question for y'all: I've had limited success rattling, but have killed almost all my bucks by calling.

I read a thread on "puppet rattling" which makes a lot of sense...I added a question which has yet to garner any response. As mentioned above, bucks can and do pinpoint your location from a long ways off...whereby, for me anyway, most I've called in come directly at my stand, often offering tough shot angles or busting me before a good angle presents itself.

That said, I've long mulled over the feasibility of running a plastic tube about 20ish yards from my stand to use as a grunt tube in an attempt to project the sound away from me as an effort to have the critter NOT come directly to me.

Anybody try this? I'm of the thought to play with this a bit to check sound quality...too deep? Too loud? Who knows...

Gonna toy with it this off season...

19-Dec-15
Rick,

You might be better off putting the grunt call on the far end of the tube. Then it would sound the same if you had enough air pressure to make the call work.

19-Dec-15
Rick, I use scent when calling and rattling. Picture this if you can. A "V" with me on stand at the base of the "V" and scent at each leg top of the "V". Wind blowing from top of V to base of V. Place the scent at a location far enough out on the top of the V and far enough away (left and right) so when the bucks walks downwind of the calling to scent check or sight check sound it will intercept the scent and sneaking in to see the hot doe. You need to be on the watch for the buck but it works. That buck will turn to find that doe and give you the shot.

This has worked for me many times.

19-Dec-15
Thanks guys...both food for thought.

20-Dec-15
Both rattling and grunting have worked well for me in the past during the chase phase, the larger bucks responding better the last of oct to the peak. Not putting Smokey down or anything as you need to use what your confident in, but I have had scents blow some nice bucks out of the shot. They act like they ran into a brick wall. The smaller ones seem to come up and sniff around it.

20-Dec-15
I agree scents can be tricky, and I have had some of my best luck with some trapping lures, and scent posting......

You never know what is going to set that buck off, so only experience can teach you,,,, its that simple....

also I would approach scrape hunting different if I was hunting only private land, and controlled the access, than hunting public land......

my best luck with scrapes, and hunting around them, has been on big NF land, that access too is not easy, or you have to make, a heck of an effort to get into,,,,, those few precious spots, can be really good, even with the current herd status

20-Dec-15
I have really quit using scents in the past few years. My idea is no scent (or to be realistic, minimize your scent) is best. Sure, I have had some positive reactions by deer in the past to a few different scents, but more often than not, it was no reaction or negative. As for scrapes, the deer are already there doctoring it up or checking it. Why should I manipulate it to alert them of some other presence? As for mock scrapes, that's a whole nother subject. Fun to try, but again mixed reactions.

20-Dec-15
Darn Cheese, you got X's on my stands!

20-Dec-15
Elk Addict, looking forward to your rattling techniques. I last used rattling about 20 years ago; had some good luck but didn't like the way mature bucks pinpointed the source. So, I just decided to pick spots, no noise and hope the buck came my way. I have seen a couple great one's over the years that didn't quite come by, maybe I should try more aggressive.

23-Dec-15
Wow CheeseheadMike and Elkaddict you guy's have your sh.t together . Some beautiful deer .

28-Dec-15

Thanks Swampy!

blackwolf, you don't mind if I hunt out of them do you? ;^)

Novice, I agree with your approach on scent.

I thought I'd update this thread with a few more photos...

28-Dec-15

In this one, the buck is not at the scrape but he's approaching.

Although leaves have fallen into the scrape and it's not being scraped much anymore, the bucks are still visiting it.

28-Dec-15

Scent checking but not scraping...

28-Dec-15

Walking past the scrape...

28-Dec-15

This buck is approaching 2 scrapes that are directly below the branches on the small oak...

28-Dec-15

Here's a real trophy! I'm not sure what his deal is... He survived gun season and I have him on camera recently. It will be interesting to see if his rack amounts to anything in the future.

28-Dec-15

Nocturnal8's embedded Photo
Nocturnal8's embedded Photo
I'll add to this also. Here's one I passed and kinda regretted doing so, not realizing how old yet scrubby he is. This scrape gets daylight activity year after year. It's in a pinch of timber between two large swamps. One of my favorite public land spots..

28-Dec-15
Ah, a breath of fresh air bringing this thread back. Need more of this type of topic and constructive conversation. Mike, nice to hear from an expert that one of my theories/approaches is on the right track. Hopefully, some day it will pay off again!

28-Dec-15
Thanks but I don't know about "expert" Novice, we're all students...

Great photo Nocturnal8!

29-Dec-15
Mike and Les are the E.F. Hutton of scrape/public land hunting. When they talk, you better listen;) I suppose most on this thread will be too young to get that.

29-Dec-15
I think a lot of it comes down to hard work, preparation, hitting the details, and time in stand. A little luck never hurts either :)

I've been hunting scrapes since I was old enough to hunt on my own. Been running cameras on them since the 90's. I remember when the first ones came out. $450 retail, 4 D cell batteries, one roll of film and couldn't wait to pay that one hour processing fee to see what was on them!! I remember one big scrape in some open hardwoods on an old logging trail that had 9 bucks it hit in two hours. The good old days of Northern Wisconsin. I'll hunt up some of them old pics and scan in one of these days.

29-Dec-15
Right on!!!

30-Dec-15
Elkaddict, do you ever have problems with people messing with your cameras on public land? Also, I remember the old film trail cams. I bought my first two Cam-Trakkers from Jeff Miller at Scheels. I was a regular at the 1-hour photo places;)

30-Dec-15
Generally most people won't find my cameras. I lock them every time with a big cable. Keeps most people honest. Luckily to this point I haven't had them bothered yet. Funny, Jeff and I were just talking cameras and deer on Saturday.

02-Sep-17
This was a great and informative thread so I figured I'd bring it back up so we can reread it. There's a chill in the air this morning boys! It's almost here!!!

02-Sep-17
Just got back in this am, from a goose hunt, have to head to work,,,,, anyway, I have two licking branches started already, I start them in July,,,,, one spot is a beauty, and since I will not be here in this spot for the big show, will give the spot to Reggie Pop or Tweed.

Yes cool am, but lots of warm days ahead ,,,,,, good thread

02-Sep-17
You're retired Mike.....knock off the working and let's go scouting.

02-Sep-17
This was the best thread on WI. Bowsite

02-Sep-17
This is the most I've learned in a long time! Great thread! Thanks Crusader for resurrecting this thread from before my times on here!

03-Sep-17
This year since I will be hunting private land in SW Wis I will screw around with some mock scrapes more..... But this has been my tip for success, when hunting public land.... and its now after Oct 20th, you have to be ready to hunt, right when you find the sign....... What has worked for me, is I am out looking for good sign, and in the big woods, when I find it, I hunt it.......

I don't go back for stands, or over analyze the area etc, I just hunt and set up right there. Since this is not private land, I have no idea of where the buck is going to come from, so I do not worry about wind directions. All I see is fresh rubs, torn up ground, good fresh scrapes, heck I am there, right now.... Stand or no stand, I am hunting....

Yes I have been caught and blown out many times, only to mark the spot for future hunts and winds etc, but at least I saw the buck..... However I have also scored well at times, when others would have been going back to the truck, to retrieve a stand.....

I like to have the stand on my back at all times,,,,, this year I have the M7,,,,,,, I have been wearing it, during my evening walks at home, do not even know its there

03-Sep-17
What happened to all the photos?

Maybe you guys that posted them can edit and re-add them if you still have them?

Picture is a thousand words.

09-Jul-18

LesWelch's embedded Photo
The buck I rattled in and killed right as that thread was happening in 2015. Camera pic of him and after pic.

09-Jul-18

2017. Scrape, Rattle, and Bow :)

24-Aug-18
Bump

• Sitka Gear