Readytohunt 19-Nov-15
tonyo6302 19-Nov-15
Mike D 20-Nov-15
Readytohunt 20-Nov-15
Stickbndr 20-Nov-15
rick 22-Nov-15
jfish 25-Nov-15
05-Nov-15
I work for a peninsula VA municipality and have been discussing with administration the possibility of leases for bowhunters on municipally owned property. So far they are receptive to the idea but want a feel for the potential interest. Please contact me if you or your organization might be interested in a lease of some pretty promising property that has very little to no legal hunting currently. Land is located midway between Richmond and the Southside.

06-Nov-15
just a thought, do you have a feel for how much illegal hunting the property currently has?

06-Nov-15
The club I'm in is looking for more leased property.

In any case, there is definitely interest. Almost every parcel is locked up by a club in the area.

06-Nov-15
I wish I was close enough.

10-Nov-15
Readytohunt, I sent you a PM.

19-Nov-15
Come on everyone, only a couple of responses. I know there are more bow hunters in this area. I guess everyone has enough land to hunt locally? I know I'm always up for a new place to hunt. Give me something to take back to the admin folks to show them we need to allow hunting on our publicly owned land.

19-Nov-15
Ready,

I suggest you contact Fairfax County. A few years ago they had a woman biologist that convinced the County to open up public county land to bowhunters.

MikeD may still be a member of Suburban Whitetail Management of Northern Virginia, and can help with contact info maybe. Give him a PM. Maybe he can turn you on to the Fairfax County people who made County Parks available to to bowhunters. That would give your peninsula people a point of contact for a very successful program.

And, depending on your criptive peninsula location, I may be interested. I live in Fredericksburg, so if you are talking James River peninsula, I am not interested.

Tell people exactly what county, and you may get more responses.

( My entire post was meant to be constructive )

And thank you. I appreciate your efforts in making land available to hunters.

Tony

20-Nov-15
Saw this post and read it with interest until I saw the word lease. Another organization comes to mind...I'll P.M. him.

20-Nov-15
TonyO6302 Land in question is JR peninsula. Sorry to be so vague but this is still in the works and trying to get access to county owned land here in James City County where I am employed. The county owns a lot of land that has good hunting potential but currently does not allow access for hunting. We have everything else here believe you me from zip lines to bike trails but no hunting land. I hunt with the asst. administrator and our new administrator is receptive to allowing access but want some revenue generated without much for start up capital required. After looking at a few other programs which seem pretty involved staff and capital wise it seemed that leasing land for short term leases (1 year) might be the simplest program we can get together. Not sure how it will work out but thinking that an auction to highest bidders for each parcel or a lottery draw with a set price would be used for each parcel. Hope this works out.

20-Nov-15
I would be interested. I already hunt around that area.

22-Nov-15
Maybe a set number for hunting and just sell a hunting permit to the first ones who show to purchase them. That maybe a easier. Have some set qualifications like Hunter education course and archery shooting test.

Just a idea

25-Nov-15
Live in area and interested. please see your PM.

• Sitka Gear