Straight Arrow 19-May-16
Tatonka 19-May-16
sbschindler 19-May-16
Tatonka 19-May-16
Bigdan 25-May-16
14-Dec-15

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
I found this photo of a new "Air Bow" on the Kansas site. They allow cross bows in archery season now and no idea what their stance will be on these?

I have heard multiple folks and a certain hunting show personality from MT critical of MBA and vow not to join over their previous tough stances on electronic devices, lighted nocks etc....Much of the criticism I hear is powerful Traditional guys and gals flexing their muscles.

I personally build and hunt with self bows, longbows, re-curve bows and compounds. By far, when I need to make a difficult kill, I have to admit, I pick up the compound bow.

In my mind, there's no question, we are experiencing "mission creep" and "incrementalism" on subtle and stark changes to equipment and technology. I personally have no problem with lighted nocks for instance but I also don't begrudge the MBA for moving very slowwwwly on accepting these changes.

We may experience shorter seasons and special draws to compensate for much higher success ratios just with modern compound bows. When I was a kid in eastern Montana, it was talk of the town when anyone killed an elk with a bow. Now, many guys and gals shoot one every year......

What say you?

15-Dec-15
You might poke your eye out with that thing....

Roughcountry: I agree with you. I shoot a trad bow in the off season but I sure do enjoy my training wheels come bow season.

Only in Kansas would they come up with a doohickey like that....

16-Dec-15
Roughcountry . . . . you touched on it in your post. A number of years ago, I don't recall exactly when and what was said, the FWP Commission warned archery hunters that if technology became to effective, archery hunting would see more and more regulations (ie, equipment restrictions, shorter seasons, etc.). This was during the time when the rifle hunters were complaining to the FWP Commission that archery hunters were taking too many "big" bulls out of the Breaks.

The thing archery hunters need to keep in mind is that archery hunting is a "primative" sport and that when folks started hunting with a bow, it was because of the additional challenge. Archery hunting was never a tool to manage wildlife, so FWP never looked at it that way. With all the technological advancements . . . . more and more archery hunters are taking to the field and more and more archery hunters are becoming successful.

Equipment like what you posted (Pioneer Airbow) is NOT a bow. That thing is a cross bewteen a rifle and a bow, but it is NO BOW. With the speed and accuracy stated, I think the Montana FWP Commission would have no choice to apply addition regulations or season dates/times. I think if your going to pick up an "airbow", why not just rifle hunt?

16-Dec-15
JMG: You are correct. That is why Montana spells out what archery tackle is allowed. I hope that contraption never becomes legal in Montana. It looks like a poacher's dream.

17-Dec-15
Crazy trad guys? Yes, and thats the way uhuu uhuu I like it!

It's not a bow for sure and would never be in a Montana archery season but I wont go so far as to disallow it's overall legality.

17-Dec-15

17-Dec-15
Here we go again.......technology vs. the challenge of the bow....

18-Dec-15
As with most all whiny butts they just try and change the rules when they can't play by the ones set when they joined the group.Lets make it easier so "I CAN PRETEND TO BE A BOWHUNTER"

18-Dec-15
Something subtle or not-so-subtle in the messaging is the mantra "more time skinning and less time sitting"

Two inch groups at 60 yards or about the size of a silver dollar. That's at 450 fps and it looks like it would accommodate a much longer arrow than a crossbow bolt. I believe it would be more stable and guess you could probably achieve hunting accuracy from 150-200 yards with a solid rest. Some target archers are pretty good out to 120-150 with a counter balance stabilizer.

All they need is a state or two to allow it and money talks, so next, you get a hunting show to start using them and voila, new market opens up. Deadly I'm sure, and would accommodate many more "bow hunters" recruited into the sport. But yes, the game commissions would have to adjust for the increased success rates unless you're in a state desperately seeking to thin out game.

It looks and sounds a little ridiculous now but wait and see...........

24-Dec-15
When they allowed modern high FPS compound bows they gave away their right to be critical of new devices like the luminoc.Yes they have a bunch of "whittle your own bow" guys in their ranks.

24-Dec-15
If you are not a member of the MBA and are a bow hunter in Montana . You should be ashamed of yourself. While I don't agree with all the MBA supports I do support the MBA ! They are fighting for your Bowhunting rights . I will buy one person a year membership for Christmas if you Pm me. We should all join. Hunt

24-Dec-15
The biggest reason MBA is against lighted nocks, is that it opens the door for other electronic devices to be attached to bows. Lighted sights, bow mounted range finders, scopes, etc...

It opens a huge can of worms.

I agree that we should continue to keep archery hunting primitive. electronic devices attached to bows, etc, is not primitive.

Hyde

25-Dec-15
What HUNT said!!! Join and affect change.

People always bring up the dumb ass lighted nock crap, as if there isn't WAY bigger things facing bowhunting in Montana.

Give me a break......

This crazy trad guy voted for the stupid ass nocks by the way, because I feel we CAN have those WITHOUT other technology.

Your welcome.

25-Dec-15
I like Hunter Andrews' message. Yes, shame on you. The MBA does more for Montana bowhunters than any other group.

In the early 1990s, the equipment issue caused a huge rift in the membership. The MBA got that all worked out and is not "full of crazy trad guys."

All who don't believe in the MBA, ought to try it for a year. Go to the upcoming MBA convention, which I think is first weekend of April at Fairmont Hot Springs west of Butte. Good time and some great bowhunting related programs and gear.

I am one of the crazy trad guys but there are lots, probably a majority who shoot compounds but what does it matter? We bowhunters need to put forth a united front or we will lose some of our generous seasons.

Check it out at mtba.org.

26-Dec-15
The MBA membership voted to allow lighted nocks. And gave there proposal to The F&G commission but they did not except it. So I guess next year the Montana Legislature will do it. Taking it out of the F&F hands

27-Dec-15
For perspective, the archery only seasons in Montana were originally set up as a primitive weapon season, before the compound bow was commonly used by bowhunters with the focus on opportunity, not success in filling tags.

The passage of time and the inexorable march of technology have brought archery equipment a long way from what was thought of as a primitive weapon to what is available on the market today.

Several years ago, after a presentation and testimony before the Montana Legislature on our archery season and the reason for continued prohibition of the crossbow in the archery only season, I was drawn off to the side by one our state legislators for a face to face conversation after the session. This gentlemen thanked me and the MBA for being a group focused on opportunity and not necessilarily on success in the field.

He lamented there may come a time when the defense of our archery season being a primitive weapon season may not be a defensible position if a modern compound bow will be compared to a flintlock or percussion muzzleloading rifle......hmmm.

The MBA as a group, from a membership questionnaire of several years ago, membership was mainly modern compound shooters, with the trad guys being a minority. If I recall it was about 2/3's wheel bows and a 1/3 trad bows for respective preferred archery gear.

Another anecdotal piece of information, a very good friend of mine was a game warden in Wyoming for about 10 years from the mid ninties to about 2004. He remarks even though the crossbow was legal for the archery only season in Wyoming, he only encountered it being used twice in his interaction with bowhunters in that state. He was located and worked in the Cody area.

There is one thing about being an MBA Member that my personal experience has shown: the MBA is the very best social filter available. By that, what I am trying to say is the finest people I have met in Montana are members of the MBA....why would that be?

To begin with, all MBA members are committed to the idea of preservation of our archery season, hence they are people of good character and so forth. Do we all agree on everything? No. Sometimes it seems we cannot agree on anything...kind of like being married or having children I suppose.

So if being an MBA member marks me as a crazy trad guy....OK, I'll take that as a compliment.

Gary Carvajal

28-Dec-15
Im a member,buy the MBEF license plates,the whole nine yards,that doesn't mean I have to agree with their stance on modern attachments.What could it possibly hurt to have a bow mounted range finder or luminocs?A site that is illuminated by battery power instead of tridium?None of these are going to make bow hunting any easier,getting game in range is still 98% of the challenge and none of these things extend your range.Having these things will entice more people into the sport and thats supposedly on the MBA agenda.

28-Dec-15
What could it possibly hurt you ask? You would be making a huge mistake to assume these could never happen......

How about a couple weeks of muzzleloader starting the first of October? Honestly a real flintlock is probably more limited for range than a compound and takes longer to reload. The only saving grace is you still have to draw the bow by hand.

How about crossbow guys in the pool of LE drawings for archery permits and tags? Yeah I think the possibilities are nothing but bad for you and me and the reason is is because all this tech DOES make it easier. If it doesn't make bowhunting easier then why do you want to spend the money and pack the weight? If the tech holds no advantages then why is it here?

We have it sooooo good right now as bowhunters, do we really want to risk that by pushing the tech until we end up with the above? Ask yourself, think about it, do I NEED that bow mounted rangefinder?

But all is not lost for you tech guys, Montana has a generous general season as well and you can tech the hell out of that bow and hunt with it to your hearts content but just like the crossbow, I find people that want every piece of tech on a compound just pick up a rifle when they can. Because it's easier to kill with.

I don't believe Montana is having a real recruitment problem but what the MBA would really like to see is more of Montana's licensed bowhunters join up.

No, we don't all agree, and likely never will, but we all should have the same goals concerning the future of bowhunting in Montana.

28-Dec-15
Well said, trdmt.

28-Dec-15
I agree with allot of what you say tradmit. I know I am the resident "nonresident" but I do believe there is a legitimate need for limited number of crossbow hunters after a certain advanced age where their abilities don't allow them to participate with a compound or traditional bow.

My Dad is 73 and he can get around the mountains pretty well, but his shoulders will never allow him to draw a bow again. He can punch the hell out of punching bag, but his rotator cuff wont let him draw a bow. Believe me he has tried. He ends up choosing to hunt with a rifle in Montana when I know he would rather be hunting with a cross bow during bow season with his two sons who use compounds. He is only good to 40 yards with a crossbow at best.

Just like lighted knocks can be carefully crafted as approved archery tackle, so too could an exemption for those who want to participate with a crossbow and I seriously doubt there will be some significant difference in game harvested. Either way, allot of good points made by all above.

28-Dec-15
I understand that side of the argument as well Seminole and I believe it probably can be done but it certainly has to be 'carefully crafted' to NOT backfire on us and I should hope folks like your father can understand the slippery slope that this presents.

Someday I will be faced with not being able to draw a bow and as much as I would want to be out there chasing critters in Sept. I also don't want to destroy what we have.

I wish there was an easy solution but unfortunately there are just too many people looking for a loop hole to easier and they would like nothing more than to be able to basically gun hunt the archery season.

28-Dec-15
Too many "bow" hunters want shit handed to them. Always trying to figure out your "secret" spot, etc.

The guys I know that are successful public land bowhunters have one thing in common. They work their ass off.

Willing to put the time in, willing to walk the extra mile to peak over the next ridge, willing to wake up at 4 AM to get into their spot before daylight.

That's what hunting is about. For far too many it's all about getting an easy kill.

29-Dec-15
Noah Get your dad a draw lock then he can hunt with you. Or take him were they have xgun hunts in Montana.

29-Dec-15
I attended the MBA convention in Billings earlier this year. If I recall correctly, I believe it was stated from the podium at the convention that 70% of MBA members shoot and hunt with compound bows.

29-Dec-15
BigDan: Thanks! and I personally agree with everything that tradmt stated and we certainly don't want to create a loop hole where people can abuse the privilege. To me and my family, that would be the greatest travesty.

JayZ: You are correct that most never get off the road let alone to the next ridge. I don't think you will find any of those guys above who have posted. All of us here are hardcore hunters. If we were chasing the same bull, we would probably meet at 4AM at the parking lot. Problem is BigDan and Maddeerhunter would have left the road by 3:30 AM... :)

29-Dec-15
Do you NEED a 300+ fps compound bow?Do you NEED carbon or alum arrows?Do you NEED expandable broadheads....Your argument is pointless unless you start at the beginning and keep every thing traditional.Us TECH guys make up a large percentage of the hunters in MT,theres room for everyone,you dont ever hear a TECH guy bitchin about a traditional guys gear.I couldnt even get into archery hunting until the F&G authorized modified archery equip(born with one good arm),you know who was against that for years your beloved MBA.Most of the archery hunters i know want nothing to do with the MBA because of guys like TRADMT.

29-Dec-15

I've known this guy since I was a kid and he shot this bull with the help of a draw lock since he's partially disabled with shoulder problems I believe. He loves to hunt but can't get around or draw a bow like he used to.

He shot this bull in the breaks on opening day this year and may have been the only "disabled" hunter out there.

I think his draw lock and compound bow are much lighter to carry around than a typical cross bow with the horizontal arms sticking out.

29-Dec-15
Correction!! the MBA was very instrumental in proposing and developing the modified archery equipment for handicapped archers..

29-Dec-15
And at one point even had a volunteer team from MBA who assisted handicapped archers in modifying equipment to conform to their disability needs and also helped them hunt in the field.

'Not hearing anyone preaching traditional archery. You certainly don't have to belong to MBA to participate in the great bowhunting opportunity in Montana ... but if you don't recognize what MBA has accomplished on behalf of bowhunting in Montana ... then you are certainly vision impaired ... and perhaps need some archery modification.

29-Dec-15
First of all, as others have stated, the MBA had everything to do with equipment for the disabled...

Second, know one said anything about compound bows or arrow materials or broadheads, and I am certainly not against them. The only thing stated is/was a limit on the tech to preserve what we have.

We as bowhunters would be weakened by disallowing compound bows as archery equipment,...who would want that? I personally feel the let-off today is a bit much but that's me and my opinion and I'm not going to burn down the MBA because of it.

My argument may seem pointless BowtechMT but I believe it may be because you missed my point.

And I take some offense to that comment about most hunters you know not wanting to join because of folks like me when it was folks like me that started this organization and gave YOU and MOST of the hunters YOU know one of the best if not THE best bowhunting state in the country!

Your welcome.

30-Dec-15
Today's compound let offs are ridiculous. Only 10% more let off and you have a crossbow. Both can have a trigger and sight.

Traditional stickbow shooters are to be admired.

02-Jan-16
nevermind...

03-Jan-16
I'm a compound shooter and fully support the MBA, allot of those traditional shooters are the ones taking their own time to testify at the legislature for the greater good of archery hunting. The MBA is our only statewide bowhunting organization and if your not a member you really should be ashamed as HUNTMAN said. I was on the board for a period of time and the meetings can be really challenging because not everyone agrees but every group is like that if your involved. Eventually a threat to our bow seasons will surface again and we will all be glad we had the MBA to back us up. The legislature and FWP both have respect for the MBA because of a solid track record of common sense decisions that benefit all Montana bowhunters!

06-Jan-16
Well I guess I will reply to the very first post on this tread. The photo was posted on the Kansas site to inform us of a new device that we need to be aware of and may have to fight being allowed into the archery season. The Kansas Bowhunters Association fought the inclusion of the Crossbow into the archery season but we had no chance of winning. No matter what information we put before the commissioners they were not going to listen to anything we had to say about not allowing them for anyone who wanted to use them. Our biggest problem now is we also have an any season tag that a resident can purchase, so now any rifle hunter that didn't want to make the effort to learn how to shoot a bow now just picks up a crossbow to hunt during the archery season. The real problem with fighting the crossbows will be the money that is behind it. It is the only market that is still open in many states to be taken advantage of. Just look at any Cabela's or Bass Pro magazine. There are as many pages of crossbow equipment as there are for traditional or compound bow equipment. I hope Montana has more luck than Kansas had fighting the inclusion of the crossbow into your archery season.

25-Jan-16
I do not agree with everything that has up in regards to the MBA, but I can tell you I am damned glad we have them and am proud to be a member. So much work done by so few. As was said more than once earlier in this thread... if you hunt with a bow... you should be a member. ~ Dunner

10-Feb-16
As stated above.....PLEASE become a member if you are not. Its very affordable. These guys have really made things happen for us and we enjoy amazing opportunity due to their efforts. Go to the website, watch the video they have up right now and join. Period. In my opinion it should be required to join when you shoot a league, or purchase a license. Just my opinion but underfunding this group is a huge failure on our part as bow hunters.

10-Feb-16
The MBA is where the cool guys hang out

11-Feb-16
Yeah, what Schindler said!

10-May-16
I can understand the belief that allowing illuminated knocks will open up a can of worms on other electronic devices therefore making it less "primitive." If that is the MBA's big concern why do they allow compound bows at all? Talk about opening a can of worms! 360 FPS?? 100 plus yard shots?? The can of worms has been open for a long time.

Another reason I can't get myself to support the MBA is the fact they don't allow disabled hunters to use crossbows. They require these contraptions to be mounted on COMPOUND BOWS and are still not usable for some of these hunters. Get with the times and quit letting your ego get in the way of allowing ALL hunters to enjoy these opportunities!

10-May-16
There are too many instances where someone stubs their toe and wants a medical excuse to do this or do that. Look at "medical marijuana". We saw all sorts of people come forward with a "medical" reason, just so they could smoke pot.

Keep in mind the MBA has helped several disabled bowhunters modify their equipment, get equipment, and/or taken them out hunting. There are also safety concerns or that one or two people who are not "disabled" and find some "medical" reason to use a cross bow.

12-May-16
NO ONE foresaw the growth of tech advancements in equipment that would eventually rush forth. Once the cat is out of the bag you can't get it back in but you CAN prevent the rest of them from escaping. We have a much better understanding of this today despite those who argue against these restrictions.

12-May-16
But again the position of MBA is determined by the voices and surveys of membership. It isn't merely the egos of a select group of traditional or compound bow hunters. If the membership as a whole clearly supported the high tech advances, then MBA would also.

The point is that MBA as an organization has made the decision to hold the line on keeping bow hunting a more challenging form of hunting and thus perpetuating the rationale for a separate archery season.

14-May-16
Bowhunting wasn't suppose to be easy. You never use to have a bunch of pussy's trying it. It's suppose to be tough to get a bull elk inside 30 yrds or better and cleanly kill him.

14-May-16
If I remember correctly I believe they call that hunting. :)

14-May-16
How does a luminock make the hunt less challenging?How did the MBA rationalize going against their use last time around?

14-May-16
Even the real Joe Dirt could rationalize why lighted nocks were fought. It had nothing to do with what they are other than an electronic device attached to an arrow. I believe we can have them without other electronics, I don't use them and likely never will but I voted for them.

As far as I know lighted nocks WERE approved as archery equipment by the MBA. Majority vote by dues paying members who give a shit about Montana bowhunting.

Your welcome.

14-May-16
But again the position of MBA is determined by the voices and surveys of membership. What is unclear about that?

The rationale for and against lighted nocks has been debated ad nauseum ... 'sorry if you missed it, but there are good points of rationale for lighted nocks, as well as against their use.

IT WAS THE GENERAL CONSENSUS - VOTE - SURVEY - COLLECTIVE OPINION OF THE MBA MEMBERSHIP WHICH WAS THE RATIONALE FOR OPPOSING LIGHTED NOCKS. I am sure there were many members who supported the use of luminocks, but were not in the majority, so the organization formed a position otherwise. That's part of the process of belonging to a democratic or representative democratic organization, city, county, state, or nation. Sometimes the minority does not get their way.

14-May-16
Point in fact,an organization that will hold up the use of something that simple and useful because some of its members dont understand it or are to backwoods to be ok with it isnt going to see another dime of my money.

14-May-16
Very well then, so tell me what are you doing to help preserve and promote bowhunting in Montana?

What have you done to get lighted nocks included?

14-May-16
The MBA did notify the FWP that the membership did approve of the lighted nock but the FWP said they had no interest in advancing the issue..

14-May-16
I stand corrected. The majority MBA membership did support lighted nocks, so that was the position expressed to FWP.

So, therefore, MBA should be receiving some of LIFEALONG's dimes.

14-May-16
he can keep his dimes

16-May-16
I thought the MBA had changed it's stance on lighted nocks, but was not 100% sure . . . . so I didn't want to say anything, because that's how misinformation gets started/spread.

So, this whole time those thinking the MBA was opposed to lighted nocks were "wrong". Hmmm . . . . misinformation or assumptions.

Bottom line . . . . . join the MBA for as little as $25/year . . . get involved . . . . and get informed.

When I served on the Board and was President, I learned a whole lot about how the "process" works with FWP, the legislature and just general proceeding with an organization such as the MBA. Those folks that are truly involved and those folks on the Board deserve a BIG THANK YOU. These folks are volunteers . . . . none of them are paid, with the exception of the Treasurer's position. And the Board cannot afford to pay the Treasurer what she truly deserves. She does a lot for what she actually gets compensated for all the hard work she does.

17-May-16
Former president of the organization doesnt even know where they stand on an issue...go figure.

17-May-16
What part of "Former" don't you understand. Dirte!

Using a fake name makes you a troll.

I apologize for feeding the troll.

18-May-16
I stepped down and let others step up. Besides, I had two young boys to raise and didn't feel I could dedicate the proper time to do an adequate job as President and as a father.

But, nice try "Lifealongtheedge".

19-May-16
Its your story JMG tell it however you want,the organization is bullshit and everyone under the age of 70 knows it.

19-May-16
L.A.T.E.

Ok, I'll play as I have some free time.......You outed yourself a little bit with your response. Obviously, you perceive MBA as damaging you somehow or somewhere along the line. My question is "IF" we assume you're correct, what is the alternative organization we should join or action we should take to enhance our bow hunting opportunities in Montana?

In psychology, your statement "the organization is bullshit and EVERYONE knows it" falls into the category of all or nothing thinking.

(((___All-or-nothing thinking is one of many negative thought processes, known as cognitive distortions, that are common among people with anxiety and depression.____)))

My advice is to take a deep breath and let it go. Bow hunting is a wonderful past time and lifestyle. While a person may not agree with every decision or opinion the MBA puts forth, I'll hitch my wagon to a group of bow hunters who want our opportunities to continue next year, next decade and 50 years from now.

19-May-16
A wonderful blessing of having won the lottery of life in being a US citizen, and in particular enjoying the privilege of purchasing a Montana bowhunter license, is that you can decide whether to belong to MBA or not to belong to MBA ... or any other organization, for that matter.

The cognitive distortion expressed in much of your rhetoric reflects exponentially more about you than about the particular organization you are disparaging.

19-May-16
Anyone here good at removing the Y bone from a Northern? I think it's time to move on to something new... This horse has been beat plumb to death. :)

19-May-16

sbschindler's Link
Here ya go Tim

19-May-16
Ha! Thanks Steve.... A person can learn just about anything there is to learn on Youtube. :)

25-May-16
YES

• Sitka Gear