12yards 29-Jan-16
RD 29-Jan-16
RD 29-Jan-16
RD 29-Jan-16
Butternut40 29-Jan-16
MNRazorhead 04-Feb-16
RD 07-Feb-16
28-Jan-16
People will think I am crazy but saw 3 mountain lions by Mtn. Iron the other day. No doubt as to what they were. Why would three be together. The only reason I can think of is that it was a female in heat that still had her cub (kit) with her and a male tagging along. One was obviously smaller than the other two. Don't see that every day around here. See you on the tundra. Rory

28-Jan-16
I believe you. About 35 years ago north of Effie my dad and I saw an adult mountain lion with its kit/cub. We were scouting for a bear hunting spot and about 70 yards in front of us we had the two cross the road. It was not a quick glimpse either. We both saw it and turned to each other and said did you see what I saw. We both confirmed it. Everyone we told at the time said we were mistaken. It must have been a bobcat, bla bla bla.

28-Jan-16
I have pictures of a female mountain lion with 2 kittens I took while bear hunting by Mc Gregor years ago.

28-Jan-16

Butternut40's Link
The MN DNR didn't believe us back 35 years ago and they still do not feel mountain lions have taken up residence. To me seeing an adult female with her kit confirms that breeding took place 35 years ago.

RD you should post the pic if you still have.

28-Jan-16
"People will think I am crazy"

We already knew that Rory :-)

Were they near your house? I would think other folks must have seen them too.

28-Jan-16
Get some corroborative evidence and call the DNR. I am sure they would be happy to investigate. If there are 3, there should be plenty of tracks you can take pictures of. If you find hair, collect it. Picture would be good. There are probably a lot of game cameras overwintering, if there is something there, it will show up.

I live in Champlin (in the twin cities) and we had one on a police car video a few years back. Using game cameras and other means, they were able to follow the same cougar through WI, then MI, into Canada and I believe it was hit by a car in CT.

From Butternut's link:

What should I do if I think I saw a cougar?

Report what you saw as soon as possible to the nearest area wildlife office or conservation officer. Note the date and time of the possible sighting, the location where the animal was seen and a description of what you saw.

If the opportunity presents itself, take a photograph of the animal or other potential evidence such as tracks. The DNR collects reports from citizens. Any physical evidence that could indicate the presence of a cougar will be investigated and proper steps taken to ensure public safety.

28-Jan-16
Dan, that is the sixth one I've seen since I have lived in this house. Other people see them around here pretty often I guess. Saw them on the Spirit Lake Road. It has snowed alot since then so tracks would be tough to find. See you on the tundra. Rory

28-Jan-16
That is interesting that they are common in Mt Iron. It still wouldn't hurt to call the DNR and tell them exactly where you saw them. If there are 3 together, they will probably be traveling less than a lone male.

I have a trapper buddy who has lived in GR and Warba for the last 50 years - he has trapped from GR to the Canadian border (along with out west). He has been approached by dozens of people claiming to find cougar tracks over that time. He investigated every one of them and none were cougars - there were fishers, bears, bobcat and even human, but none turned out to be cougar. When we hunted in MT, he was able to see them immediately so he knew what he was talking about. If they are here, they don't appear to be widespread.

There isn't a big game farm/wildlife sanctuary in the area where they periodically get loose, is there?

29-Jan-16
Some DNR folks believe they exist.

29-Jan-16
The DNR doesn't want to admit they're here because then they have to make a plan for them. It's easier to ignore them.

29-Jan-16

RD's embedded Photo
RD's embedded Photo

29-Jan-16
Sorry, picture is upright but you can see it was a mountain lion. Picture was taken out my truck window as I was driving.

29-Jan-16
Thanks for posting the pic.

04-Feb-16
THAT is a mountain lion! Amazing that you were able to get that close. The cat must obviously be comfortable with vehicles. How long did it stay around?

07-Feb-16
It had 2 kittens with it and they were right in front of her when she walked by. I watched them for about a minute and then into the brush they went.

• Sitka Gear