dr. bob 29-Mar-16
Jodie 29-Mar-16
JMG 29-Mar-16
Jodie 30-Mar-16
tradmt 30-Mar-16
LIFEALONGTHEDGE 02-Apr-16
11-Feb-16

BullHunter's Link
Well looks like seasons are going to be getting longer in a bunch of units. I just don't see how hunting elk with very young calves in August or elk struggling to survive a cold winter in February is a good idea, but here it is.

12-Feb-16
It isn't a good idea, but no one is required to participate in these hunts.

Everyone that loves and respects wildlife will do the right thing, hopefully it's enough.

12-Feb-16

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
I've never considered myself someone with a weak constitution but the idea of shooting elk in February with developed fetuses in them from previous September rut just wouldn't be my thing..........they've been running for their lives all fall, leave em' alone for awhile.

That's what pisses me off about wolves....they don't get the resting time they normally would after hunting season closes.

Here's an elk calf that my oldest son and I ran across years ago in early late April/early May.

12-Feb-16
One thing I don't like, we don't kill enough elk to keep No's down, but they limit the number of hunters, doesn't make sense.

13-Feb-16
Pretty cool picture Mike!

14-Feb-16
trad mt, you know I wish you were right. I'm more convinced that opportunity is more important to the average hunter than sport, or ethics. Maybe after the dust clears true sportsman will finally find time to get involved. Or maybe not!

14-Feb-16
It doesn't matter whether we hunt or not, the legistrators will say that F&G did not reach their objectives and propose that the ranchers manage the elk.

15-Feb-16
The numbers are down, they just are changing their winter range to adjust to the pressure from predators. Once we kill off the "large" number of elk getting out on the prairies where they can see predators better, there will not be much left.

15-Feb-16
They claim that they did away with any of them that coincide with archery season,thats one good thing that came out of it...

16-Feb-16
Follow the money gents!

16-Feb-16
The problem I have with this is that the ranchers harbor the elk all fall to keep the bulls on there property to sell hunting leases to outfitters. Then after the season is over they are stuck with hundreds of cows that they don't want to feed all winter. Why don't they just open up there land to the public during the regular big game season? Because they know that if they do the elk will leave and they can't sell the hunts.

22-Feb-16
Very bad hunting policy....

23-Feb-16
Nobody said you have to take part,hunt another state.

24-Feb-16
Ah, looks like a troll showed up.

24-Feb-16
Shoot-Straight: I can count on one hand how many times you and I agree on something. Well said.

You know Shoot-Straight if we were hunting the same haunts deference would be given with a passing nod without saying a word and no one's hunt would be messed up or intruded on.

The good news: we spotted the road hunter.

25-Feb-16

SmokedTrout's Link
"They claim that they did away with any of them that coincide with archery season,thats one good thing that came out of it... "

Not true, at least from my reading of it. Shoulder seasons in Regions 1 & 2 can and do overlap archery season, with no weapon restrictions.

http://fwp.mt.gov/doingBusiness/insideFwp/commission/meetings/agenda.html?coversheet&topicId=36355549 See page 6 of the embedded link: "With the exception of Regions 1 and 2, no shoulder season would take place during the general archery season."

27-Mar-16
Why limit the regular season drawing?

Does anyone know how the midterm pregnant cow hunts went?

28-Mar-16
Limiting it pushes more hunters into the "2 for 1 shoulder season"

28-Mar-16
Yes, thats exactly what we need is more hunters crowding public land and pushing even more animals onto private unaccessible lands during the regular season. It's not the answer Jodie.

As long as we have harboring landowners and land locked public land (corner crossing) we will have a hard time meeting objective.

My personal opinion is that the population objectives for elk are unnatural, and if the rancher that wants less elk didnt have a neighbor harboring elk he would have less elk. I dont believe we will ever find satisfaction as far as these landowners are concerned unless we kill elk to the point there is no longer a huntable population and hunting in February just might kill off enough fetuses to get us there in 5-10.

28-Mar-16
You are painting private landowners with a broad brush.

Many private landowners enroll in block management, lease out to Outfitters, and/or hunt themselves with family and friends. There are some that do not allow hunting of any kind, that is true. But, many do allow hunting, they simply want some control over who is on their property. That is called, private property rights and is not going away.

29-Mar-16
Yes jodie and that is called they can keep and feed all the elk without help. there are not too many elk, the objectives are too low. if the elk are eating them out of house and home and they allow hunting they should sue their neighbor's for harboring.

29-Mar-16
Unfortunately Bob, harboring is exactly why game managers like predators such as wolves and cougars, they know no boundaries.

There are now more and more wolves in your beloved unit 410, just a matter of time until they get a good foothold.

29-Mar-16
Jodie.

Just curious. Where do you get your information about wolves in HD 410 or the Breaks for that matter?

Thanks.

30-Mar-16
Friends, hunters, trappers who live in the Missouri Breaks.

Three were confirmed crossing 87 south of Grass Range, heading east down the Flatwillow Creek drainage. This was about three years back. Not 410, but very close.

30-Mar-16
There is a better chance they got SSS'd than a good foothold in 410.

02-Apr-16
Lots of guys with planes and rifles out there,I wouldnt worry about it.

• Sitka Gear