dr. bob 25-Feb-16
Straight Arrow 25-Feb-16
JMG 25-Feb-16
maddeerhunter1 25-Feb-16
dr. bob 25-Feb-16
Seminole 26-Feb-16
19-Feb-16

sbschindler's Link
here is the 1st paragraph of House Bill 42, this is the bill that has been kicking our butt as far as killing off all the elk, It appears to me that habitat and carrying capacity has a lot to do with managing our elk, and not just land owner tolerance. HOUSE BILL NO. 42

INTRODUCED BY BARRETT

AN ACT REQUIRING THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH, WILDLIFE, AND PARKS TO CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF HABITAT AVAILABLE FOR ELK, DEER, AND ANTELOPE IN MONTANA; REQUIRING A DETERMINATION OF SUSTAINABLE POPULATIONS BASED ON THE HABITAT CALCULATION; REQUIRING THE DEPARTMENT TO MANAGE WITH THE OBJECTIVE THAT POPULATIONS OF ELK, DEER, AND ANTELOPE ARE AT OR BELOW THE POPULATION ESTIMATE; PROVIDING A FUNDING SOURCE; PROVIDING FOR ADJUSTMENTS BASED ON MANAGEMENT PROVISIONS IN THE MAXIMUM LICENSE NUMBERS THAT CAN BE ALLOCATED FOR RESIDENTS; AMENDING SECTIONS 87-1-201, 87-1-301, 87-2-104, 87-2-501, AND 87-2-513, MCA; AND PROVIDING AN IMMEDIATE EFFECTIVE DATE.

the rest of the bill is in the imbedded link

19-Feb-16
Yep. That bill is definitely bad for hunting.

22-Feb-16
Barrett (and many of the other State Republicans) are bad for resident hunters and hunting in Montana.

23-Feb-16
But why isn't the FWP using this bill to their(our) advantage, they could make a very good case that the objective numbers could be raised to meet the habitat requirments

24-Feb-16
I think the Governor is getting bad info.

25-Feb-16
Isn't the elk management plan managing elk to the tolerable level of the landowners and not what the habitat could sustain? Am I missing something here? To me HB42 would increase the numbers (at least for elk) in almost every area. John

25-Feb-16
"Am I missing something here?" Yes, you are. The EMP objective numbers are skewed way too low because they are PRIMARILY based on elk tolerance, not on wildlife management principles of the North American Wildlife Conservation Model. Then HB 42 (which was the bill but now is codified Montana statute, no longer HB 42) legislatively mandates that FWP issue tags, permits, slaughter, remove, or whatever to reduce elk numbers in those "over-objective" Elk Management Units to numbers more close to the objective numbers. Only if the elk population(s) fall way below the objective numbers (which is predicted with the impending Shoulder Seasons) will the numbers be allowed to increase.

'Hope that long paragraph helps clarify.

25-Feb-16
SS, You are correct in the interpretation of the law concerning HB42, But the real question is how the Elk Objective numbers have been determined, HB 42 clearly states that habitat is at least a component of the formula to determine the objective numbers, But Habitat has not been part of the discussion to determine objective numbers, the question is WHY NOT, were getting screwed big time because it was not...

25-Feb-16
That's what I said.

25-Feb-16
OK

25-Feb-16
SS But the first sentence states "AN ACT REQUIRING THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH, WILDLIFE, AND PARKS TO CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF HABITAT AVAILABLE FOR ELK, DEER, AND ANTELOPE IN MONTANA; REQUIRING A DETERMINATION OF SUSTAINABLE POPULATIONS BASED ON THE HABITAT CALCULATION" Habitat sustainability is not part of the EMP today! How is this worse then the current EMP? FWP is keeping the animal numbers at or below the landowner tolerance currently, and not what the landscape can handle.Hence the shoulder seasons and low elk numbers. Thanks, John

25-Feb-16
because cattle is king.

25-Feb-16
"AN ACT REQUIRING THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH, WILDLIFE, AND PARKS TO CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF HABITAT AVAILABLE FOR ELK, DEER, AND ANTELOPE IN MONTANA; REQUIRING A DETERMINATION OF SUSTAINABLE POPULATIONS BASED ON THE HABITAT CALCULATION"

It is not happening as you and I would define habitat and do the calculations.

I guess it depends on FWP's definition, what lands fit the "habitat", and how the numbers are calculated.

But it's just not happening as you read above.

25-Feb-16
As Dr. Bob stated . . . . Agriculture is the No. 1 income in this State. Wildlife populations limits are based on rancher/farmer tolerance and not science or biology. Basically . . . . . it's political.

25-Feb-16
Dr. Bob don't you forget that. Just kiddin. Glad to see that your still alive.

25-Feb-16
Mad the only reason I know I'm alive is because I'm old and I stink, but I guess that happens when your dead too.

26-Feb-16
Well I for one enjoy the fact Dr. Bob is alive!

That way I can continue to steal his bull tag when he is not looking.... :)

Glad to see you are still in the field my friend!

• Sitka Gear