tico 16-Oct-16
hogthief 19-Oct-16
danshunt 29-Oct-16
blugrass 30-Oct-16
danshunt 07-Nov-16
Jakeemt 09-Nov-16
tico 19-Nov-16
26-Mar-16
Anyone shop crossbows yet? Wondering which ones seem to be the best.

26-Mar-16
Stay in Pennsylvania

27-Mar-16
Crossbows are here Don. Grow up and deal with it.

27-Mar-16
I know a troll when I see one

29-Mar-16
No bites. Need to fish deeper.

29-Mar-16
I am sure there are several on here who will actually buy a crossbow. Me being one. Some folks may have done some research already. So don't be all sour grapes for not getting your way. Not trolling at all.

It is a little funny, now that everything is all said and done and you don't have anything to bitch, about, this site has been basically dormant. So again, has anyone shopped for them. I am leaning towards the Horton Storm RDX.

P.S. Don... will be a MO resident again in 2 weeks. So thanks for the welcome. ;-)

29-Mar-16
As a fellow crossbow hunter[not necessarily by choice], welcome to Mo Tico. Arthritis pushed me to crossbows a few years ago. If you don't have problems with drawing a compound or recurve, I recommend against a crossbow. They are heavy, awkward carrying through the woods and rather expensive. I bought a Barnett Jackel, probabably one of the least expensive, and it has served me well. Just do your research and forget about getting advice on this site. Good hunting and welcome to Mo.

29-Mar-16
That Horton is a reverse draw. When drawn it is only about 10 inches wide axle to axle. That is the main reason I am strongly considering it. I really like the Excalibur bows. They are really quiet... but very wide even when drawn. They'd hang up on every limb and twig.

30-Mar-16
I also wanted to see... what broadhead do you shoot?

30-Mar-16
Not sure of the brand name, but its a 3 blade one piece 125 gr. Only had one kill with this particular broadhead, but only had to track about 75 yds.

21-Apr-16
I bought a Barnett Recruit. I wanted something my daughter could use sisnce she's too small to draw a killing weight compound. It's pretty awesome; small, lightweight, and really fast for what it is. I love it.

06-Jun-16
x2 Don. I'm with you, some people still ARCHERY hunt. I just hope we're not the only ones... Pretty sad when an archery forum starts switching to crossbows as well. Sounds to me like rifle season is gonna be 4 months long from now on.

08-Jun-16
Eventually it will be one two week season - pick your weapon. Let's see how much money the crossbow companies can make when they have to share season with rifles. Unfortunately bowhunting will never be the same either if that happens.

10-Jun-16
Oh horse POOP. A compound bow isn't any more archery than a crossbow. Mechanical releases, Lighted sights, 85% letoff. As I said many times. These are the EXACT SAME arguments were made in the 60's when compound bows came into the picture. 'Archery" hunting has EXPLODED since then... but I guess they were right that it was never the same. All the skill was taken out of it way back then. Archery is a stick and a string and an arrow. Compounds go FAR beyond that.

13-Jun-16
My bow doesn't have an ar15 stock, scope sighted in to 125 yards, and a tripod to shoot off of.

13-Jun-16
I' m relatively new to bow hunting, and hunting in general. Took my first deer last year with a compound. I work very long hours in a very demanding role and I look forward to my time in the woods. I don't have time to train on my recurve, though I admit it is a more grass roots approach and requires more skill. My kids love to go with me, my boy can draw a bow capable of killing a deer, my soon to be 11 year old girl can not. Never the less, she loves going out with dad and looks forward to the day she can bring something down. She's taken hunter safety courses, helps with the stands, is learning to read sign, and is generally well prepared. So I bought a crossbow this year, it is small enough for her to manage yet powerful enough to bring down any deer in the woods. She'll be using it, with me, in the 2 man stand I got for Father's Day a couple of years ago. Truth be told, it's a cool little weapon and I will likely try it out myself a few times.

I'm struggling to find the harm in any of this. What are we ruining? Responsible hunters, taking care of the land, and enjoying ourselves. So... It's a cross bow, get over it.

Btw, for anyone who thinks this Barnett recruit is the same as rifle hunting, I think we should compare damage and range with my .308. Let's not compare this to something it's not.

14-Jun-16
Had to go to crossbow last yr. Did not want to but hey I am 70 and a few problems. U want me to just quit hunting and just watch hunting shows. Have a few more yrs now to enjoy the great out doors. It least I hope I do. Never know at my age.LOL

14-Jun-16
Hey Retired, pay no mind to the crossbow naysayers. They probably will have to go to crossbows at our age too. Truth be told, I have probably passed on more deer hunting with a crossbow than they have with whatever they shoot. With me, it is not so much killing a deer as it is just being in my stand at daybreak enjoying the sounds of nature.

If they are so shallow they can't understand that, then I question their commitment to hunting.

14-Jun-16
Well said bluegrass

15-Jun-16
Don is just bitter. Not sure why. I know a guy who has shot out to 240 yards with his Compound. The guide at a moose camp my inlaws were at practiced to 100 yards every day with his compound. Hopper daddy has it right. Crossbow topics are just as valid in an "archery" forum as compounds topics are... and there will be some who switch. I wanted to see what anyone might have researched about them. I have pretty much decided on the storm reverse draw. I will still hunt with my longbow some... as well as my compound. Just curious Don, how many have you killed with a longbow? Thats the ONLY true archery anyways.

16-Jun-16

Don's embedded Photo
Don's embedded Photo
All longbow or recurve in public land.

17-Jun-16
Trophy hunter

17-Jun-16
Those aren't longbows ;-). Seriously though... If you killed all of those with recurves you are OBVIOUSLY a skilled archer and bowhunter... NO QUESTION. That is awesome. I just can't figure why you can't see that the difference in a crossbow and compound is not all that great. Far less difference than a compound and a recurve.

17-Jun-16
Very nice

22-Jun-16
Blugrass, how do you know how many deer me and Don pass up? I don't shoot a deer under 130 and more often than not pass up hundreds upon hundreds of deer a year. Anytime you can chamber a round at the start of the hunt and point it down the trail all hunt long kindve takes the archery out of it, just get down on your stock and squeeze the trigger, sounds familiar... I do find it funny how you say you pass more deer than me and Don do and then call him a trophy hunter, got a good laugh out of that one. Leave the crossbows for people that are unable to shoot a compound (kids and disabled people) and if you can physically shoot a compound, shoot one.

22-Jun-16
Boggs.. Did you miss the word "Probably"? Did you miss the post where I mentioned I was unable to draw a bow anymore? Did I mention you specifically in my post?

As for calling out a Trophy hunter, Years ago I had to share hunting property with a trophy hunter and when I saw Dons photo It reminded me of the disdain I had for him and all trophy hunters.

Maybe you should let Don address that instead of inserting yourself in the conversation.

Lets face it Boggs, crossbows are here to stay. If that somehow threatens your manhood, then thats your problem.

23-Jun-16
I'm hardly a trophy hunter. Bowhunted for 28 years before shooting a deer big enough for the wall. I have two very good friends that have shot crossbows for years due to disabilities. I have no problem with someone with a true disability using a crossbow. Although neither of them consider it to be real bowhunting. Their words, not mine. The problem I have is with the lazy slobs that don't want to learn how to shoot a bow, but just buy a crossbow with a scope & sit it in closet until it's time to hunt. I have talked to many gun-only hunters over the years that said they would start bowhunting if they could use a crossbow. To me that translates to I'm to lazy to hunt with a real bow, but I'll go if you make it really easy for me. It's a liberal mindset that says everyone has to be included & if it's too hard we need to make it easy enough for everyone. If your too old to hunt elk in Colorado we'll just let you drive your truck into the public forest. If your to young & weak to shoot a regular bow instead of getting stronger & developing your skills we'll just make it so everyone can do it today. Everyone gets a trophy. There's a little girl in our archery club with one arm that has been injured so she shoots with her teeth. It always strikes me that many grown men with two healthy arms would be too lazy to take the time to learn how to shoot a bow if you just gave them a crossbow. In the end though, I'm not going to worry about things I cannot change.

23-Jun-16
Ok, fair enough. I was under the impression myself and others who can no longer draw a bow due to arthritis or other related problems were being ridiculed for using a crossbow.

Speaking for myself, a crossbow was my last resort. I have hunted for 65 years using at first a long bow, then a recurve and was dragged kicking and screaming into using a compound. It was a real kick in the a** having to go to a crossbow.

Also speaking for myself, I still consider myself a bow hunter. I still use the same hunting skills and ethics I used before.

I guess I owe you you an apology for calling you a trophy hunter. Consider it done.

Rich..

23-Jun-16
Ok, fair enough. I was under the impression myself and others who can no longer draw a bow due to arthritis or other related problems were being ridiculed for using a crossbow.

Speaking for myself, a crossbow was my last resort. I have hunted for 65 years using at first a long bow, then a recurve and was dragged kicking and screaming into using a compound. It was a real kick in the a** having to go to a crossbow.

Also speaking for myself, I still consider myself a bow hunter. I still use the same hunting skills and ethics I used before.

I guess I owe you you an apology for calling you a trophy hunter. Consider it done.

Rich.. sorry, double post

24-Jun-16
So for clarification, because I work 80 hours a week, am working on two Master's degrees, raise 4 kids, and a host of other things; I don't have time to devote to mastering a recurve... I'm a lazy slob. I must say that my opinion of you has dropped from your being an overly opinionated enthusiast to something I won't voice here for fear of being banned from the board.

24-Jun-16
Just go out and enjoy the hunt. There are many reasons people are turning to crossbows. I would say you have a very good one. Its clear, there is not going to be universal agreement on this subject, so sit back and enjoy the debate.

Change comes hard for some.

19-Sep-16
Well what model did you choose Tico

21-Sep-16
Preacher printed off his tag at Noon. Borrowed a crossbow at 1pm that he had never shot. Shot a doe at 4:30pm. Back home by 6pm. Don't think he could have done that with a vertical bow. Not complaining, just saying.

16-Oct-16
Split toe, I bought a Horton Storm RDX. Fun to shoot. Had some broad head problems... I thought I would just shoot the slick trick standard 100 grain I shoot out of my compound and longbow. It just wouldn't shoot them straight. Sort of a knuckleball effect. So I bought some Killzone expandables that shoot great but I really like fixed better. Ordered some 150 fixed and problem was solved. So if you get one of these really fast bows, 100 fixed won't work. Supposedly it had to do with having more weight front of center. I think it is a combination of that and just the fact that the extra weight slows it down a bit.

18-Oct-16
I never see anyone bow hunting anymore more....pretty sure I won't see any x bow hunters either. there are less and less hunters every year.

19-Oct-16
Really? I see more every year. Maybe I should start hunting in your neck of the woods.

29-Oct-16
I am also not a huge fan of the crossbow. but like your state NY allowed them a couple years ago on a limited basis .Archery season starts oct 1st . Can't use a crossbow until Nov 1st . Start of the rut of course . As far as deer harvest goes it didn't change much . I think the reason being is you still have to know how to hunt ! The " slob hunters " that still didn't do there homework had no more success than they did before . I will say this a good friend of mine who was also against them had some medical problems and was pretty distrought that he wasn't going to be able to hunt , He wasn't fond of the idea but it gave him time in the woods . also as far as Archery season's go ,they were developed as a primitive weapons season . The first known crossbow design is recorded as 742 BC I would say that's fairly primitive . The first compound Bow 1966 , like I said I am not a big fan but weather we as Bowhunters like it or not big business made the push and they are here to stay weather we like it or not ! I have shot my friends and found it hard to load and awkward to shoot ,I don't see the advantage of lugging around . But for some it may be away later in life or due to injury to stay connected to the Archery hunting fraternity and allow them to put some tasty venison on the table ! I used to think it was a big deal but in reality there are plenty of deer out there and it doesn't change harvest numbers enough to worry about .

30-Oct-16
Danshunt...Not a good way to make friends here by being reasonable on the subject of crossbows. Some folks here believe they will never have to resort to such a horrendous means to enjoy the sport. Health problems strike us all. By being able to legally hunt deer when you can no longer come to full draw with traditional archery equipment gives us extended time in the woods. I appreciate that! Thanks for the post. Rich

07-Nov-16
Blugrass , just telling you what happened here , I have enough friends not here for that ,not here to get hated either . Everyone at some point will have to choose weather to sit on the couch and watch someone else hunt on the outdoor channel or make the choice to go crossbow and enjoy their last few years in the woods . It's an individual choice ,one that I don't have to make yet . But if the day comes that I do choose to go with a crossbow so I can continue to enjoy deer hunting I really won't care what the next guy thinks . No disrespect intended

09-Nov-16
Thinking about snagging an Excalibur vixen. I have a long bow, a compound and am thinking of adding a crossbow to the stable just for good measure. They may be wider but, compounds in general are a pita to make new strings change cams ect. Where with the recurve type I could build strings just like I do for the longbow.

19-Nov-16
That's what I did Jake. Just another tool. Mine is the RDX compound... but as long as you have a press, the string seems pretty easy to change.

• Sitka Gear