DR 14-Jun-16
Brotsky 15-Jun-16
SDBugler 15-Jun-16
Brotsky 16-Jun-16
SDBugler 16-Jun-16
Skullwerx 16-Jun-16
stephenson 12-Jul-16
13-Apr-16
Just applied. Now if the hunt gods could just see through to helping me out. Cant win if you don't play. Good luck to all!

14-Apr-16
12 PP for this guy, applying for unit 2. Where's everyone applying and how many you got? Good luck all!

14-Apr-16
5 for H5,better drawing odds, lower hunt success. Thought about cashing them in on an antlerless tag. Looking at the odds, it does not appear to be getting any easier to draw. I'll hold out for a few more years. Not getting any younger and they are kind of big and heavy. Monkey on my back is a bull elk. Nice to shoot one before I'm dead.

15-Apr-16
I'll be trying to draw H2 for archery with 12 points. My wife will be going for H2 cow tag with 1 pp.

02-Jun-16
Ratfarts! nothing again this year. Still be deer hunting I guess. How did you folks fare?

03-Jun-16
Nothing here grizzly in any draw nor for any of the family. I do have a couple friends who drew H2 archery, both with 12 points.

Griz34, your wife must have drawn for sure!

03-Jun-16
Nothing for this guy either.....

03-Jun-16
Yeah my wife drew H2H23 and my brother drew H1A21 rifle. So I'll be making at least two trips out there this fall. I didn't draw my archery elk tag in the hills again. I also failed to draw in Utah, Arizona, Wyoming and New Mexico. I'm going to try for a leftover black hills archery cow tag but if I don't draw that maybe Idaho.

03-Jun-16
Zero everywhere,every thing.

03-Jun-16
Here is what I drew: 17th point for sheep 20th point for Mt goat 28th point for CSP arch elk 28th point for CSP rifle elk 17th point for CSP cow 11th point for BH elk (Still in my 9 year waiting period for BH archery elk)

My sons didn't draw either they are 16, 20, and 22. have been putting them in every year for everything since they were 12.

The brother of a friend at work drew CSP rifle elk with only 17 points?

Griz - like you our family has also had a TERRIBLE year with the draws - nothing for the four of us in WY, AZ, NM, CO, NV, or UT. Still waiting on MT sheep/goat, ID elk/deer, and AZ sheep/deer. I put in 178 applications between my 3 sons and myself and currently sitting a cumulative total of 892 points and no tags for this year!!!

I am burning my max deer points in WY (10 Points) on a Region G hunt so I should for sure draw that tag at least (only took 4 last year).

Good luck to those that drew this year!!!

03-Jun-16
Griz34

How many points do you have in Arizona for elk?

03-Jun-16
I only had 10 points for Arizona.

03-Jun-16
Which unit are you trying for in AZ and Utah?

03-Jun-16
SDBugler

Haven't you and the family had past success in NM draws though?

03-Jun-16
I was debating between 9, 10, and 3c in Arizona, I think I went with 9 and 3c for my first two choices. I guess I had 9 points, 10 now. Utah I only had 3 points and put in for the Book Cliffs, so I knew I wouldn't draw. I will only have 2 points for Wyoming next year, so I might put in for a general tag and just buy another point in Arizona and Utah. I'm going to put my kids in the draw in New Mexico for the youth rifle bull tag, so if one of them draws that it'll change my plans. September through November is getting expensive!

03-Jun-16
Those are all supposed to be excellent units, I went with 9 and 3a/3c this year too. I think the new draw format is going to set me back a few years, I have 13 now. A good friend of mine drew the only nonresident Fillmore/Pahvant tag in Utah, pretty lucky.

03-Jun-16
Wow, that should be a good hunt. I might just go for a mid tier unit in the next couple of years if I don't have plans in another state. For now I'm just going for the best units and hoping to get lucky. With the new format I'm a long ways off to be guaranteed a top tier tag.

03-Jun-16
Are you putting in for the draw units in Idaho or just waiting to pick up an OTC tag later if needed? I put in for some long shots that I'd be absolutely thrilled to draw. When does the season start for your wife's cow hunt? A guy from work has a daughter that drew the December cow tag.

03-Jun-16
I don't try to draw in Idaho, but I did buy some of the raffle tickets for moose and elk. It would just be a last minute otc hunt if I don't get another archery tag. My wife's hunt starts October 17th.

04-Jun-16
I got a Prairie cow licenses and it was my first year for applying down there. Nothing in the hills or Custer for me though.

04-Jun-16
Better to be lucky than good. Maybe your both! Which prairie unit did you draw?

04-Jun-16
I'll be protecting the corn fields down by Martin.

06-Jun-16
jhawksd Yes NM has been very good to our family. My oldest son has drawn the youth 34 elk hunt and the youth 5B deer hunt. My middle son has drawn the youth ibex. My middle son and I drew muzzy antelope tags together in 50/52. I have drawn 16B first rifle elk twice and 16D first rifle. I have applied for archery elk tags for nearly 20 years and never drawn one, but the three times I applied for rifle tags because of other conflicts during the archery season, I drew them with even tougher odds than archery tags.

11-Jun-16
I gave em' a little more money but i'm not burning the preference yet. Maybe I can get a cow tag. My $20 wont break me and I'm thankful Im not paying for 178 applications. Got to be expensive. Cost per pound just keeps going up.

14-Jun-16
Got a call this weekend. Found out that a friend drew one of the mountain goat tags for the hills. I think he also had 19 points. That same guy drew the CSP sheep tag several years ago. He is one lucky guy!!!

Didn't draw MT sheep/goat and just finished putting in for our AZ deer/sheep. Still a little hope in ID, AZ and WY

14-Jun-16
No Joy here either. Points only in hills till I move back home. Rejections and points only in Wy, CO, NV, UT, AZ, NM. MT General but I turned it back in because I was wanting a limited entry permit. Was contemplating Idaho but didn't end up doing it for same reason. Would prefer a LE tag if I'm going to make the long drive. Hopefully someone will draw so we can live vicariously off them from a distance! May wind up considering a private land/private ranch bowhunt if nothing else comes through.

15-Jun-16
No luck for me in SD or NM. I did put the girls in for multiple leftover options archery and gun so we'll see if they get lucky! Good luck gentlemen!

15-Jun-16
I know this is an archery site but would appreciate any input from anyone with recent experience or knowledge in the SD refuge hunts. With no SD or out of state tags yet this year and also likely wont draw our WR and ER rifle tags (since we used our points last year) I an contemplating burning our refuge deer points. We have been accumulating refuge deer points over the past few years and holding off to use them on a year when we knew we wouldn't have a WR or ER rifle hunt. I have 12 points, my middle son has 9 and my youngest son has 4. Between the three of us, that is 28 chances of drawing a tag. What is the recent condition of these hunts? Is any one better than the others? I have heard that LaCreek used to be a good hunt but that they had a pretty big die off a few years ago. Open to either rifle or muzzy.

16-Jun-16
I have about 10 points for refuge deer. You are correct about LaCreek. That is where I had planned ot burn my points however EHD pounded the refuge a few years ago and it has not yet come back. They've reduced tags though and hopefully it rebounds in the next few years.

Waubay is not a refuge I would burn any points on, not worth it. Sand Lake has some nice deer but unless you know the refuge I think it can be a tough hunt. That's about all the help I can provide. I plan to keep banking points until LaCreek comes back.

16-Jun-16
Thanks for the input Brotsky. Kind of the same info as what little I know about these hunts.

16-Jun-16
I agree about Waubay not being a tag I would burn points on! I drew the second season tag last year and was VERY disappointed. Very few deer. There was deer sign everywhere so not sure if they got pushed out by Bowhunters and the first season guys but they only issued 10 tags so I don't think that was the case.....

12-Jul-16
I know its a not a bow tag but I was lucky enough to draw a rifle tag bull or cow for unit h4. Anyone hunted this unit before?

• Sitka Gear