70FIREBIRD 12-May-16
ruthunter 14-May-16
derbyhunter5 17-May-16
70FIREBIRD 02-Oct-16
Heat 02-Oct-16
AZBUGLER 02-Oct-16
azrod 11-Oct-16
19-Apr-16
Anyone have this hunt before. I've hunted 5b before just trying to figure out if a guide would be worth it.

19-Apr-16

Ward's Outfitters's embedded Photo
yes absolutely a guide would be worth it. We can get you on some giant bulls , we have three archery hunters in the unit and will be in the unit chasing bulls for three weeks prior to your hunt. these are the type of bulls we harvest with archery hunters year after year in the unit

19-Apr-16

yes absolutely a guide would be worth it. We can get you on some giant bulls , we have three archery hunters in the unit and will be in the unit chasing bulls for three weeks prior to your hunt. these are the type of bulls we harvest with archery hunters year after year in the unit

20-Apr-16
We killed a nice bull in there last year. Saw several really good bulls even before we killed the nice one. Came down to the last hour of the last day -- in a torrential rain -- and settled for a 320 bull. A licensed and permitted guide will save you a lot of scouting time. But, if you're going to do it DIY, send me a PM with your phone number and/or your email address and I can probably give you some pointers.

21-Apr-16
Firebird u should have a great fun hunt. No full moon like mine in Nov 25th late rifle 5a bull have a great hunt

Jim

23-Apr-16
Bummer you had to "settle" for a 320 bull.

26-Apr-16
By the time the official tape is streched.... 320 = 290ish... Ed F

28-Apr-16
You had a less then 1/2 of a percent to draw that tag. Unless you are extremely lucky, this is truly a once in a life time hunt.Congratulations and good luck. If you can afford it, I would definitely hire a guild!!!!!

28-Apr-16
I know I couldn't believe it happened with 3 bonus points. My problem is my daughter's wedding is October 13 in Hawaii so funds are pretty tight. I did contact ward's about it great guy however the wife's putting her foot down this time.

30-Apr-16
Good luck, it's a great unit with great Bulls!

10-May-16
Congrats on the tag! I'd go DIY. If you measure success by inches of antlers a guide might be the way to go. If you measure success by the memories made, you can't go wrong DIY. Good luck!

10-May-16
No offense to the Ward's or any other guides or outfitters but I totally agree with NoWiser. DIY!!!

11-May-16
Thanks heat and nowiser I am going to do DIY. I have a great group of friends and a great rifle. I appreciate your response.

12-May-16
I also agree with NoWiser and Heat. I've hunted that unit for last 20 years (Not all years had a tag) but I have harvested 2 Bulls with a bow with a 336+ being the biggest, missed out on bigger one the other was a Freak 6 pointer, Grandson got a 6 pt last year, also have taken 2 cows archery and 2 cows rifle, my father got a small bull in there also. No guides just scouted and camped in there many years and talked to other hunters. You will enjoy the area and hunt.

Good luck

Also will be there this year as my Son drew an Early archery Bull tag.

12-May-16
Azrod Good luck to your son. I know 5bn better than south. I've got all 3 of my elk in the north. I'm going to do a lot of scouting as much as possible anyways. Thanks for responding.

14-May-16
Tons of elk in 5bs. I killed a bull there last year during the archery hunt. Wards definitely knows the unit very well and would be a great outfitter to use. DIY is also fun and if you do your homework you will do just fine. An outfitter will put you in the bigger bulls from the start.

17-May-16
Hunted that unit last archery season. Fun hunt. If your looking for a guide I know a honest guy who knows the unit very well.

02-Oct-16

70FIREBIRD's embedded Photo
70FIREBIRD's embedded Photo
I know this is a archery site. I do hunt archery as well but tried for a once in a life time tag and scored,all by my lonesome (no guide that is). Had a bunch of friends help me. I called this guy into 20 yards.

02-Oct-16
You did good. Its a fine day on the woods when you have red hands like that! Congratulations!

02-Oct-16
Congratulations and job well done!

11-Oct-16
Congrats 70 Firebird looks like you did well pilgrim with lots of memories besides. Nothing against guides but it is well worth the feather in your hat now to show you could do it.!

• Sitka Gear