hntnbo 16-May-16
Trax 16-May-16
deerslayer 16-May-16
bucman 29-May-16
hntnbo 02-Jun-16
hntnbo 02-Jun-16
hntnbo 02-Jun-16
10-May-16
I understand barbed heads are not legal in Montana, that would mean the QAD swept head but what about the QAD full or standard? They don't look much different to me.

13-May-16
The "full" bladed qad exodus broad heads are legal. Not barbed at all. When attached to an arrow they are not much different than most fixed blade heads. If you have seen both of those heads on arrows they look pretty different. Barbed is defined in the regs. Basically considered barbed if the back of the blades aren't at least 90 degrees to arrow.

Hope that helps.

16-May-16
I contacted the Montana Game Commission about the QAD swept model and they are considered legal. As a matter of fact there is no language in the game regulations about barbed heads. Feel free to email them or call them on the matter. They were happy to help and got back to me in less than a week.

JonR.

16-May-16
Hey, thanks for the help guys. I was told the swept head was considered barbed and illegal in Montana. Wrong on both counts.

16-May-16
Jon, thanks for that.

I know the regs used to have language about "barbed" broadheads, but when I looked them over the other day I couldn't find language about barbed heads anywhere. Thanks for confirming.

(Although now that means I guess I gotta go buy some new broadheads to try out, hehehehe....)

29-May-16
I'm with deer slayer. I recall regulations regarding "barbed" broad heads not too long ago. I also can't find anything about them in the regs of 2015 or 2016. Sorry for the bum info Trax.

02-Jun-16
Took me awhile to find the email response from the Montana FWP. Below is the response

Jon, Here are Montana’s broadhead requirements and the specs on the arrow. It appears to me that they are legal. Thanks, Ron

––Arrows must have broadheads with at least

two cutting edges. Expandable broadheads are

legal as long as when expanded they are at

least 7/8 inches at the widest point, and weigh

no less than 70 grains.

QAD Exodus Specifications:

Grains: 85, 100, 125 Styles: Full blade, Swept blade Cutting diameter: 1.25” Blade thickness: .40” Replaceable blades Stainless Steel Cut on contact

Ron Jendro

Assistant Chief of Enforcement

Montana FWP

(406)444-2456

[email protected]

02-Jun-16
Just for reference the following is a copy and paste from the question I asked.

Dear Sirs, I have read through the regulations on your website and find only one reference pertaining to broadheads. It is relative to cutting diameter. I am wondering if the broadhead I use in Virginia is legal in Montana? The broadhead is made by QAD and is called Exodus and it is the swept blade model.

Thank you for your help.

02-Jun-16

• Sitka Gear