Trax 21-Jun-16
Bucksnort32 23-Aug-16
Jodie 24-Aug-16
houndy65 25-Aug-16
Bigdan 27-Aug-16
Montana Ranches 19-Nov-16
Hunter42 12-Mar-17
01-Jun-16
I have one week and one week only to hunt 410. I can not hunt 2nd week, but could choose between week 1 or 3. Or a week later. I know the bulls will likely be more vocal and aggressive week 3, but like the idea of having a go at elk that haven't been alarmed on a daily basis yet.

I have chosen week 1, but what would others do? I've hunted in the same area before and found the elk to be very hunter educated.

01-Jun-16
Best time is the week before it opens. :)

02-Jun-16
It takes about one hour opening morning to figure out that hunting season is open... It can be unbelievably hot there the first week. I've seen it hit 100 degrees the first week in September...

20-Jun-16
It is typically VERY warm in the early season. I hunted the area a couple years ago in mid-September (18-22) and it didn't seem like the rut had kicked in yet. I've heard from numerous people that hitting the breaks in late September or early October is the best time to hunt.

21-Jun-16
I hunted the 1st week in October a few years back. Better weather for sure. Big bulls were surrounded by their harem by then, other bulls used the cows for sentry help too. I was into bulls every day but very educated elk. I've had to make a decision and will be going the 1st week. Pros and cons both ways. I would expect the hotter it is the more they will need water. I won't be hunting near the river at all so springs and small ponds will be their only source. I need all the help I can get.

23-Aug-16
I've gone the first week and wow!!! I the had best luck with cow calls Good luck to ya... It's gonna be a great year !!

24-Aug-16
Unless outfitted or access to private land and amenities, avoid the first couple of weeks. Swarms of hunters, occasionally mosquitoes, and hot weather likely.

25-Aug-16
the 11th through the 17th, always worked good for us in central Montana.

27-Aug-16
i would pick the first one that there is no rain in the forcast

19-Nov-16

Montana Ranches's Link
So how did you do?

12-Mar-17
I really like the last week in September or first week of October. I agree with Bigdan though. Pick a week with no rain in the forecast

• Sitka Gear