happygolucky 27-Sep-17
BIG BEAR 27-Sep-17
razorhead 04-Oct-17
BIG BEAR 04-Oct-17
Bows the way 05-Oct-17
Bows the way 05-Oct-17
Jon Stewart 05-Oct-17
29-Jun-16
The 2016 drawing result are now available and I got just what I thought I would get, my 8th preference point! another 3-4 years and I might just get one of those coveted Baldwin Unit tags so I can hunt the bears that hang out in my woods.

Dan W.

29-Jun-16
I drew the second hunt in Carney with three points and a partner. This unit is new to me I hope it works out.

29-Jun-16
Took Dave from St Joe River bows 13 points for Baldwin. He drew this year. My son had 7 points and I had 10 and didn't draw first season Amasa.

29-Jun-16
Me and my buddies went 1for 6 in carney. My dad is now at 13 points trying to draw 1st season as a non resident. It looks like the way we all have our points staggered we should be getting one or two every year now.

29-Jun-16
Yeah well Dave is a lucky one, 13 points for me for Baldwin and no tag. Lethalbowman, my guess is it will take you at least 15 points. Each year it takes more and more points to draw.

29-Jun-16
I was banking points ( I have 10 after this year) for Baldwin also. But by the time I get drawn, it will be something like 2022-2023. I am getting to old to be waiting that long for a tag. It kinda sucks because w I have some huge Bears around my house. So I am going to go back to the Amasa unit or Baraga next year. Do a deer/bear hunt.

30-Jun-16
left over tags for Bergland, about a hundred for 3rd week,,,,,

burly I am in the Amasa unit, please kill some bears, they are as thick as the bugs are, on my trout spots

03-Jul-16
I've been banking points and putting in for elk. Decided to save some money and just buy a Pure Michigan chance each year instead.

04-Jul-16
That's the plan Razor, I will be glad to get back up there.

10-Oct-16

happygolucky's embedded Photo
I have this bear and a smaller one on my land near Esky in the UP. He's had fun turning ground blinds into rag dolls and he doesn't appreciate cameras taking his pictures. He's racking up $$damage$$ for me. If he's around next spring, I will most likely offer up my land during bear season. I plan to plant apple trees and would prefer no bears at all. I had none last year and don't know why they are in my crappy cedar swamp.

10-Oct-16

Another pic.

10-Oct-16

Here is the smaller bear.

17-Dec-16

Autumn_Archer's embedded Photo
Autumn_Archer's embedded Photo

Autumn_Archer's Link
Killed this monster on Sept 10th. Est weight 625-650. SHould have a green score on him in a couple weeks. His head is huge. THunderstick longbow 10 yd shot on the ground. Open makeshift blind. Got it all on video as well.

https://youtu.be/R0dRHd_wAUY

18-Dec-16
Nice bear. That thing is huge. Congrats

19-Dec-16
Looks like I picked a great teacher. :)

11-Jan-17
Nice bear and cool video!

07-Jun-17
This site is so dead we might as well use last years bear drawing thread again this year !! Ha !! I hope you boys remembered to put in for bear and elk..........results should be out in about 2 weeks...........good luck.........My buddy should draw a 3rd season hunt in Newberry. I took a point...... I put in for any elk..........maybe this is my year for elk...........

10-Jun-17
Changed my mind (what I have left of it) put in for Baldwin again. Someday it will happen.

10-Jun-17
Burly...According to the DNR pamphlet... it took 12-13 points to draw inBaldwin last year.... you should be getting close .....

11-Jun-17
That's what I was thinking, a couple more and I will be good.

11-Jun-17
I think that's good thinking.... You shouldn't waste 10 points on Baraga or Bergland. Hold out for another few years for the Baldwin unit for around your house. After that you can pretty much get a tag every year in Bergland if you want.

11-Jun-17
That's what I was thinking. It would just brake my heart to go back up there every year bear hunting.

19-Jun-17
With 150 tags this year, I would speculate alot of folks will put in for it. I would not be surprised to see 10 or 11 pts draw this year.

Was there ever any weight to the one above? I was thinking more in the 475-525 range.

21-Jun-17

Burly's embedded Photo
Burly's embedded Photo
Someday I might draw, hopefully this guy will still be around.

22-Jun-17
What a tank !! Hold out for that tag !!

26-Jun-17
Preference point for me this year.... and no elk tag again..... Hopefully my buddy will get a bear tag and we will be in business..... the results were on line as of 6;17 this morning..... good luck guys !!

26-Jun-17
My buddy got his bear tag for Newberry, So he'll be hunting my property.......

26-Jun-17
No tags for me again, elk or bear. Good luck to those who did.

26-Jun-17
Did points....up to 6 now. Nothing for elk.

Daughter up to 13.

26-Jun-17
My son and I drew first season Amasa. At 68 I won't be putting in for tags anymore so this will be my last hurrah I guess.

27-Jun-17
seeing a few bears, in the back roads, looking for girl friends,,,,, no shortage of bears from Amasa to Bergland......... had a fish fry last week at the saw horse in amasa on Friday, just left and saw a huge bear, by the NET river,,,,,,,,, I have 5 points

28-Jun-17
No bears on my cameras yet in Esky. I have not put in for MI points being a non-resident as I guess I'd be waiting a very long time. I do have a WI tag this year. It took 8 points.

28-Jun-17
Hey Jon.............just a thought...........if you don't plan to take any more tags after this year.............I'm pretty sure you can legally keep putting in for a tag,,,, and if you get drawn transfer it to a kid if you have grandkids or friends kids that are the right age.................I'm pretty sure you can transfer your tag to any kid 10 to 16 years of age who was not successful in the drawing. Good luck with your tag this year !!!

29-Jun-17
I actually thought about donating my tag for Baldwin ( if I drew) to a youngster with a terminal disease. I don't know if make a wish does hunting anymore, but there has to be someone.

29-Jun-17
Check with Benefit 4 Kids. They might have a kid that can do a bear hunt.

29-Jun-17
Ok thanks, I will look into it.

01-Jul-17
After 14 years I got a Baldwin tag. Hard to believe I was 38 years old the last time I got to hunt bear in my own backyard.

01-Jul-17
Big Bear, thanks for the heads up. Will check into it. would love to send my point to one of my MANY grandkids, lol

07-Jul-17
thought I would try for you one more time,,,, you said your looking for a right hand trad bow, under 25lbs,,,,, will be at one of the best shoots in the Midwest tomorrow, Horicon Wis, are you still interested and what is your price range????????

09-Jul-17
razor: if the above message was for me, I am looking for a left handed bow under 20#'s for my 5 year old grandson. Price range of $50 to $70.

12-Jul-17
okay I got it,,,, I will keep looking just found a 15lb but it was a right handed so I gave it to a guy,,,,,, I will keep looking,,,,,,PBS shoot this weekend, we will see

19-Jul-17
Jon...I got a couple of kids bows (fiberglass) with dual shelves...and a box of obsidian. ;o)

Near Perry if you get in the area. You can pick which one you want...free.

20-Jul-17
Jack, thanks but I have a bunch of the fiberglass bows also. I put 5 red Bears together with new strings and gave them away at our MTB shoot last month. He wants a bow like mine, made of wood. I have some time now as my memorial shoot is over but I am still on the hunt.

You going to Elm Hall? if so bring the obsidian .Chris and I are going for Saturday only.

20-Jul-17
Jon...doubt it. Prepping for our trip to WY to see Smith, Carrie and her girls. Ever my way, box of rocks waiting for someone to use.

20-Jul-17
Sounds good Jack. I will get by there one day. On a side note. Coke has first names of people on their bottles. Grabbed one the other day and the name on it was "Smith". Thought of you guys right away. I remember the day I met the little grunt at the GLLI a few years ago.

Say hi to Smith for me and have a safe trip.

23-Jul-17
Jon I will keep looking,,,,,,, I am usually always bumming around, from Land O Lakes to Copper Harbor ha ha ha

26-Sep-17
Well that was disappointing a wee bit. Saw one bear on my bait on the 10th walking into my stand and hound hunters the next day. And hound hunters the following weekend. Add a heatwave and.........no MI bear. Oh well, there's always Alaska and Canada. And a 20 year wait to draw Baldwin again.

26-Sep-17
Sorry to hear that CJ...... bear hunting can be very frustrating... anyone who hasn't done it and thinks it's a slam dunk is wrong.

26-Sep-17
That's a tough one killinstuff. We went 3 for 3 in the first season in Amasa but after the first two days it turned into work. Our baits were getting hit hard. I shot the 3rd bear I saw on the first evening. Then the baits quit getting hit as we started to see a few bird hunters with their dogs roaming around, not hunting but roaming around plus we had many wolves and coyotes on our cameras. We found two other spots many miles away from our first area and the baits got hit the first night. My son and cousin both took bear from the two new spots. But like I wrote it turned into work.

26-Sep-17
Bear baits can be getting slammed and then shut down completely for seemingly no reason. I have had several week long bear hunts where I never saw a bear......don't wait for Baldwin..... hunt Baraga or Bergland with zero to 3 points....

27-Sep-17

This bear was killed this past weekend from Menominee in the UP where I used to hunt before I bought my own land. It is a friend of mine.

27-Sep-17
Wow !! Wow !!!! That's a DANDY !!!! Does that scale say 573 pounds ????

04-Oct-17
I do not think you will get Bergland with 0 to 3 points, unless you ask for 3rd week, which is okay also/////////////

next season I will be hunting between Bergland and White Pine

04-Oct-17
Yes.... the 3rd hunt you can pretty much get every year there. They usually have leftover tags for that area for the 3rd hunt if I'm not mistaken....

05-Oct-17
I've got 6 pionts anu chance I'll get Newberry 1st week oh yeah I'm a nonresident.

05-Oct-17
I've got 6 pionts anu chance I'll get Newberry 1st week oh yeah I'm a nonresident.

05-Oct-17
Look at the bear guide and that will give you an idea. It gives applications and permits totals from a couple of years.

• Sitka Gear